Garlic-Scented Plastics -- Any Good?

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Garlic-Scented Plastics -- Any Good?

Post by BlaineFred » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:09 am

Some companies load their plastics with garlic.

I have used these occasionally, buy I don't recall catching very many fish.

The garlic scent seems so unnatural.

I am about to give up on the garlic-scented plastics.

Would appreciate your experiences.

Thanks.

Fred

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Garlic-Scented Plastics -- Any Good?

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:52 pm

Garlic is good (not great) for smallmouth but not largemouth. In my experience. As for other species, I'm sure some won't mind. Couldn't really tell you what, as I never use scents for such. I did mess with it for Trout many years ago, but to limited advantage. If any.

It's important to keep Garlic in mind as a masking agent, not a scent. There is a difference. Best wishes.
PEACE

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:51 am

Thanks. What are you masking?

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:31 pm

my experience....largemouth love it too.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:59 am

Lake Fork Baby Ring Fry is loaded with garlic and catches me a ton of fish every year. Maybe the bass I'm catching are Italian?

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:42 pm

Good for Italian bass. If you fish around the Jersey Shore region you may catch a guido.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:08 pm

BlaineFred wrote:Thanks. What are you masking?
I think a majority are masking the scent of gasoline (from pumping), cigarette/cigar smoke, sun screen, etc. Also, some plastic lures have a very strong plastic smell that can be covered up with scent.

Back when I first got into fishing I bought myself a tube of Megastrike because I fell for the hype...well, I can honestly tell you I've NEVER caught a fish using Megastrike before.

I used to smoke cigarettes while fishing, and I've retied a new Senko after finishing a cigarette and caught a 4 pounder dead sticking it. I've never had issues of not catching fish while smoking. Whether or not the scent really attracts more fish...I'll never really know, but I have no issues with unnatural smells on fishing lures and catching fish...that's just me tho!

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:21 pm

njbasscat wrote:Lake Fork Baby Ring Fry is loaded with garlic and catches me a ton of fish every year. Maybe the bass I'm catching are Italian?
I believe the Lake Fork lures have the greatest amount of garlic. The older Cabela's plastics we're also loaded.

I've never done well with garlic-scented lures, and that's why I began the thread. I thought about using the garlic baits in heavily stained, even muddy water; and secondly, in the winter time.

barrys
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by barrys » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:07 pm

Besides power bait I only use 3 other brands Gambler,chompers, and lake fork all of which have garlic(especially chompers) I catch most of my bass on ....I may not catch as many as most but works for me

sofinesse
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sofinesse » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:45 am

Zipper worms have a ton of garlic oil as well. Haven’t done terrible on them, but also not amazing. Power team lures bite Juice also smells garlic based and I’ve caught plenty of fish with the Texas rig jig and the hammer shads. So my guess is it’s more about the bait than the scent. I just don’t like rigging my baits and then having to scratch my nose after and smelling it all day, or having a snack after rigging and tasting it even after I rinse my hands. Kvd perfect plastics with the coffee is the most pleasant smelling plastic I’ve handled.