Chronarch MGL vs Zillion SV TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Chronarch MGL vs Zillion SV TW

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:47 pm

papabassin wrote:Order a Met. ;)

Nah for real though. If you are curious as to what Shimano has to offer, why not go for the Met vs "settling" for the Chronarch? You get a magnesium frame for, what..maybe $20-$30 more!? ($294 w/free shipping on Digitaka) I honestly think your getting good advice...

If you can't get past the whole warranty thing, then I guess order a Chronarch. I'm sure it's a casting machine...

You'll probably always wonder what Shimano has to offer until you give one a try, so I say go for it.
Ok. Well I work at a nursing home. Asked a lady what she thought. She said the silver one was prettier, she also said the blue and red look awful, I explained I've already got that one. The warranty thing spooks me and I won't be paying but about $230 for the Chronarch (gift card) so it's a better option.

If I do pull the trigger on the MGL, I might have to do a comparison if no one else does, they are going on the same rod w/ 12lb Sniper. Eventually, closer to winter, the Zillion will probably get 8lb fluorocarbon, because I figure it's finesse ability is better.

GotEmOutdoors
Angler
Angler

Post by GotEmOutdoors » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:16 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:

Nah for real though. If you are curious as to what Shimano has to offer, why not go for the Met vs "settling" for the Chronarch? You get a magnesium frame for, what..maybe $20-$30 more!? ($294 w/free shipping on Digitaka) I honestly think your getting good advice...

If you can't get past the whole warranty thing, then I guess order a Chronarch. I'm sure it's a casting machine...

You'll probably always wonder what Shimano has to offer until you give one a try, so I say go for it.
Ok. Well I work at a nursing home. Asked a lady what she thought. She said the silver one was prettier, she also said the blue and red look awful, I explained I've already got that one. The warranty thing spooks me and I won't be paying but about $230 for the Chronarch (gift card) so it's a better option.

If I do pull the trigger on the MGL, I might have to do a comparison if no one else does, they are going on the same rod w/ 12lb Sniper. Eventually, closer to winter, the Zillion will probably get 8lb fluorocarbon, because I figure it's finesse ability is better.
Haha the humble answer. My gf said the silver one was "prettier" as well.
I ordered the Met MgL. I ended up sending it back. Not that I did not love it and I kind of miss it. But I got 2 Daiwa reels in Place. I did end up ordering a chronarch this weekend tho. It is on its way. Did you end up with a chronarch mgl?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:24 am

GotEmOutdoors wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

Haha the humble answer. My gf said the silver one was "prettier" as well.
I ordered the Met MgL. I ended up sending it back. Not that I did not love it and I kind of miss it. But I got 2 Daiwa reels in Place. I did end up ordering a chronarch this weekend tho. It is on its way. Did you end up with a chronarch mgl?
No Chronarch MGL here yet, birthday is coming in September though, and I have a massive bucket of change. I am still waiting for a reel to fill the 7' M, fast Villain 2.0, bought a St. Croix Avid X 6'6" and have been using my SECOND Zillion SV TW on it. Need another MH/H rod too for my older original Tatula Type R XS.

I still consider trying a Chronarch MGL, slightly scared of the Metanium because just like the Chronarch, I have seen numerous less than favorable reports. I have seen some great reports too, just not willing to risk $300 on a reel from Japan (no US warranty) that might be rough after the first few trips. The aluminum main gear isn't something I look for in a reel if possible. What keeps me thinking of trying the Chronarch is the fact that all of the display versions (which endure countless hours of customer torture) feel so good, and the good reports I've had seem very wholesome. I also have 2 Zillion SV's and even though they are essentially perfect, there is still nothing wrong with trying a different product from time to time.