The hot girl at the end of the bar... Tatsu

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

The hot girl at the end of the bar... Tatsu

Post by Finnz922 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:41 am

I am a pretty brand loyal guy almost to a fault in some instances :oops: . I currently am using Sunline after going through many brands of lines that left me unhappy. Now after reading the TT review on Tatsu and seeing it on many posts from other members on here, bbc, and other forum boards, I am considering at least cheating on Sunline once to see if I need a change.

Any thoughts on what lb I should try? I find myself using 15lb/16lb for most applications other than my flipping rod and crankbait rod.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: The hot girl at the end of the bar... Tatsu

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:32 am

I would urge you try 20lb out the gate. Might surprise yourself. Good luck.
PEACE

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:39 pm

Ive used 10 12 16 pound sniper fc and have read that tatsu has more stretch. That right there is reason enough to pass on it for me. I stopped using 10 12 sniper cause of the too much stretch I felt those sizes had.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:06 am

Everyone should try the Tatsu just to satisfy their interest. I'm a Sniper guy because I think it's more sensitive and a much better value. The reply on the value in the last thread was "I get the Tatsu on sale". What if I get the Sniper on sale? Duh! Both become better values on sale.
This topic has been beat to death on here over the years and I offer the same opinion every time. What people will really like about Tatsu is the way that the softer outer layer allows the knot to cinch up. It's closer to mono in this regard. It does handle very well, slightly better than Sniper. Surprisingly, the soft outer layer on the Tatsu does pretty well with abrasion resistance, as mentioned in the TT review. I just don't think that Tatsu is worth the full price.
It is pathetic that Sunline hasn't stepped up their game and precision/parallel wound the Sniper. Your line will take longer to deform when it starts out pure. I would gladly pay an extra buck or two a spool for parallel wound Sniper. When you are looking at a dozen or more combos to refill, as I will be doing tonight, the Tatsu doesn't look so great.

Blacktail 8541
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Blacktail 8541 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:17 am

I have used the older offerings for a long while. I just ordered a spool of the Tatsu, Seaguar finess and P line tacticle to try.
ON my next order I will try the Sunline series. Nothing like getting advise and then trying the products to form your own opinions.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:35 am

Blacktail 8541 wrote:I have used the older offerings for a long while. I just ordered a spool of the Tatsu, Seaguar finess and P line tacticle to try.
ON my next order I will try the Sunline series. Nothing like getting advise and then trying the products to form your own opinions.
The finesse fluoro lines handle real well, but they have a lot of stretch. I don't like them for bottom contact baits. Both Sniper and Tatsu are great all-around lines that have just enough stretch for reaction baits, but are sensitive enough for bottom contact. You will see a lot of tour pros fishing both of them for multiple applications. I step it up to Shooter if I know that I am going to be forced to grind all day to get a limit with bottom contact baits, and money is on the line.

wolfewiz
Angler
Angler

Post by wolfewiz » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:25 pm

I've not tried Tatsu. Am I wasting my time as a leader material?

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:44 pm

Depends on whom you are leading. :D

As for Tatsu as a leader material, one usually doesn't need the pricey additional limpness in fluoro strengths under 8 lbs., but it might be useful for something like a fluke with higher lb. tests. Its good abrasion resistance and relatively high knot strength could make it worth the extra money for some.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:19 am

I absolutely love Tatsu. That being said, I've been running Sunline Assassin on most of my reels since March. Considering the price difference, I think Assassin is fantastic. It handles 90% as well as Tatsu with a very brief break in period. I can't tell much difference in stretch between Tatsu, Sniper, and Assassin. I'm using it for slack line presentations, hard baits and paddle tails primarily. Assassin has held up very well thus far. I'm more than happy with it. It doesn't seem as brittle as Sniper in lower tests over time and doesn't seem to deform to the same extent as Sniper over time. I likely won't buy Tatsu again unless I catch it on a killer deal. I'll stick with the Assassin. I like it a lot :big grin:

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:19 pm

wolfewiz wrote:I've not tried Tatsu. Am I wasting my time as a leader material?
don't waste your time with Tatsu if you plan to use it as a leader,

If you are topshotting 100 or so feet it may be worth it.

it's not a very abrasion resistant line. Pretty poor actually. Enough that After buying it last year from TW xmas sale. I gave away 2 out of the 3 spools I bought. The final straw was when a tank smallmouth broke me off.
Objectively speaking.... Whether a different line would have made the difference or not...I don't know. But It was the first open water break off I had in decades fishing freshwater.

I could keep an 8' leader of Pline halo for a few outings. Tie in a decoy spiral snap, owner welded snap or fastach....And throw all day. Throw up on the bank..into the japanese knot weed using it as a backboard.....aim at the bank past thules.....and it would not show any signs of wear.
The tatsu I'd be cutting off the fg mid outing and retying a new leader. 6-12lb
And floating down a river i ain't playing with an fg on 8lb test.

I bet it works great as a mainline. But for 95% of the fishing I do a 10' leader is more than adequate.

There may be better fluoros than halo...but it was my 4th brand I tried and the best of the 4 so I don't plan on using anything else for FW bass from 4 to 20lb test. Now if they wound it like Suffix mono....that would be amazing..as some spools are lumpy. especially 12lb for some reason.

down4ttown
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by down4ttown » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:59 pm

I have used TATSU but I still prefer Sniper due to the value. Both are stud lines who I hold in the highest regard in terms of Flouro.

mcfishing620
Angler
Angler

Post by mcfishing620 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:42 am

I ran 20lb Tatsu on a Chronarch Ci4+ for a while and it's by far the best fluoro I've ever used. I think it has between 15 and 17lb diameter, but it seems smaller. It has a completely different feel to it, and casts better than mono in the same diameter. It's amazing stuff, just wish I could afford to use it on all my reels. $40-50 a spool of any kind of line is ridiculous. If they went to 30 I'd be on board.
My go to...
Shimano Antares 12 / 7' St Croix Legend Tournament Bass / Xcalibur XKR50 chrome/black

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:03 am

mcfishing620 wrote:I ran 20lb Tatsu on a Chronarch Ci4+ for a while and it's by far the best fluoro I've ever used. I think it has between 15 and 17lb diameter, but it seems smaller. It has a completely different feel to it, and casts better than mono in the same diameter. It's amazing stuff, just wish I could afford to use it on all my reels. $40-50 a spool of any kind of line is ridiculous. If they went to 30 I'd be on board.
For the last few years Tackle Warehouse has been running a seaguar 50% off sale as part of their 25 days of savings in December. Hoping the do so again this year so I can pick up some more bulk spools.

drewlesch
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by drewlesch » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:25 am

Farnorth wrote:
mcfishing620 wrote:I ran 20lb Tatsu on a Chronarch Ci4+ for a while and it's by far the best fluoro I've ever used. I think it has between 15 and 17lb diameter, but it seems smaller. It has a completely different feel to it, and casts better than mono in the same diameter. It's amazing stuff, just wish I could afford to use it on all my reels. $40-50 a spool of any kind of line is ridiculous. If they went to 30 I'd be on board.
For the last few years Tackle Warehouse has been running a seaguar 50% off sale as part of their 25 days of savings in December. Hoping the do so again this year so I can pick up some more bulk spools.
This! And braid/mono backing or a shallow spool. I can't see any reason to fill a full spool with any fluoro.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:02 pm

I tried Tatsu in various line strengths and for me it boils down to a very familiar picture:

Yes, you get some marginally better qualities in some respect, but this marginal gain comes with a biiig price point.

I feel that most other 'high end lines' offer nearly the same quality attributes for 30% less of the price.

Personally, not worth to me...