Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Post by Houndfish » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:34 am

LowRange wrote: I think it would help to fix the inductor but once done there is no going back
I have thought about switching out the spring to one so stiff that it effectivly becomes a fixed inductor, but I cant figure out what I need to buy. My main BFS reel is an Alphas Finesse Custom, which has a fixed inductor spool, and I am loving it so far. It seems to cast lighter lures far better then my sv105 with way less line fluff.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:03 pm

Houndfish wrote:
LowRange wrote: I think it would help to fix the inductor but once done there is no going back
I have thought about switching out the spring to one so stiff that it effectivly becomes a fixed inductor, but I cant figure out what I need to buy. My main BFS reel is an Alphas Finesse Custom, which has a fixed inductor spool, and I am loving it so far. It seems to cast lighter lures far better then my sv105 with way less line fluff.
You would actually want to fix the infuctor into the extended position for more control. I did this to one of my DIY spools by putting a few drops of super glue on the air brake and extening the inductor outwards as the glue set.

Errrm
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Errrm » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:12 pm

Hi,

I have one of these DIY spools for my PX68 and I was hoping I would be able to get one for a Shimano Aldebaran BFS XG? It is not the latest one but the 2012-2014 version I believe.

Thanks

Neil

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:17 pm

LowRange wrote:
Houndfish wrote:
You would actually want to fix the infuctor into the extended position for more control. I did this to one of my DIY spools by putting a few drops of super glue on the air brake and extening the inductor outwards as the glue set.
I had assumed a stiff enough spring would serve the same function, but now that I am home and looking at it, I see that it wouldn't get it to full extension. Now that Ray's offers replacement inductors, it begins to make glue look more appealing.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:43 pm

Errrm wrote:Hi,

I have one of these DIY spools for my PX68 and I was hoping I would be able to get one for a Shimano Aldebaran BFS XG? It is not the latest one but the 2012-2014 version I believe.

Thanks

Neil
They don't make one for the Aldebaran BFS XG unfortunately

Errrm
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Errrm » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:47 pm

Bootytrain wrote:

Thanks

Neil
Thanks :-(..... I couldn't find one and I was hoping i was just being stupid :-)

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:02 pm

Errrm wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:

Thanks

Neil
Thanks :-(..... I couldn't find one and I was hoping i was just being stupid :-)
Well the good news is there are quite a few after market spools out there for the Alde, but the bad news is they are significantly more than $50 :lol:

Errrm
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Errrm » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:12 pm

Bootytrain wrote:
Errrm wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:

Thanks

Neil
Well the good news is there are quite a few after market spools out there for the Alde, but the bad news is they are significantly more than $50 :lol:
Lol yes I've seen :-). They are even more expensive because I live in the UK and will have to pay import taxes and expensive shipping :-(

Doge
Angler
Angler

Post by Doge » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:03 pm

Isaiah20 wrote:Is anyone using a DIY BFS spool to cast down to a 1/16 for trout? Or am I better off going Scorpion BFS?
Mepps Aglia Spinner 00 has 1,5g and is castable. Lightest for me is the europe cream jig but that is really the limit for me.

Isaiah20
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Isaiah20 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:29 am

Doge wrote:
Isaiah20 wrote:Is anyone using a DIY BFS spool to cast down to a 1/16 for trout? Or am I better off going Scorpion BFS?
Mepps Aglia Spinner 00 has 1,5g and is castable. Lightest for me is the europe cream jig but that is really the limit for me.
The reason I ask is I am putting together a Trout casting rod. I have a SS Air but don't like the line capacity on the streams I am fishing. And not that I am even going down to a 1/16 but would like to know the capability is there in case the need arises.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:28 am

Errrm wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
Errrm wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:

Thanks

Neil
Lol yes I've seen :-). They are even more expensive because I live in the UK and will have to pay import taxes and expensive shipping :-(
I have a friend who lives in Germany, and he didn't pay any taxes when I sent him a lure I made. Can a friend just send you a spool?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:30 am

Bamp. Anyone have any feedback on these Abu spools? I have the Black Max 3 10 gram spool for the lulz and it is an awesome budget UL performer, admittedly I had to change out the stock bearings on the spool and palming plate of the BM3 UL BFS. There was too much resistance in the bearings and once opened up I was able to increase mag braking. Linear mag braking really works for UL baits. I'm curious as to how a 6 gram mesh spools performs in a STX or something.

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by alafly » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:32 pm

Has anyone tried the deep version DIY spool? Is it also good for light bait(under 1/8oz) as original DIY spool?

Thanks in advance!
"North" of America...

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:16 am

alafly wrote:Has anyone tried the deep version DIY spool? Is it also good for light bait(under 1/8oz) as original DIY spool?

Thanks in advance!
I have the spool but so far I have only used it with 1/8-1/4 oz lures for which it works great. Below 1/8 oz I do not know...will try next week or so...

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:08 am

Dalleinf wrote:
alafly wrote:Has anyone tried the deep version DIY spool? Is it also good for light bait(under 1/8oz) as original DIY spool?

Thanks in advance!
I have the spool but so far I have only used it with 1/8-1/4 oz lures for which it works great. Below 1/8 oz I do not know...will try next week or so...
Do there make a deep zillion-size spool? I'd appreciate a link if so, thanks!