Metanium mgl vs chronarch mgl thread

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Jawa Caster
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Metanium mgl vs chronarch mgl thread

Post by Jawa Caster » Wed May 17, 2017 11:43 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Jawa Caster wrote:
rockchalk06 wrote:
Jawa Caster wrote:Hi all.. I have some question regarding chronarch mgl.. Its is normal during cast have spool bearing sound?? Or im just buying a defect reel?

Sorry for bad english

Malaysian shimano user here

How bad of sound? There may always be some noise, but it shouldn't be horrible.

You can always had a couple drops of oil to the bearings, dab some oil on a Q-tip and run it around the break track. See if that helps some.
Do know how to tell, sometime very noise sometime less noise.. Already done drop oil to the bearing... Tommorow i will cast with friends, if they complaining about the sound, its a problem on stock bearing maybe...
Someone on another thread suggested a loose spool pin might be causing the noise.

This is the video.. The noisey very obvious at end of cast.

Jawa Caster
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Jawa Caster » Wed May 17, 2017 11:51 pm

https://youtu.be/z5xhTEt3IyQ

This is link for video my chronarch mgl noisy during cast.. The noise very obvious at end of cast..

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed May 17, 2017 11:59 pm

Jawa Caster wrote:https://youtu.be/z5xhTEt3IyQ

This is link for video my chronarch mgl noisy during cast.. The noise very obvious at end of cast..
Have you tried other line on that reel? It might just be that particular brand and size of braid making the noise.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu May 18, 2017 12:32 am

I could barely make out the noise but it sounds like the brake pipe needs oil. That sound is similar to what my older svs infinity 2 reels made at the end of the cast when they needed oil.

Jawa Caster
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Jawa Caster » Thu May 18, 2017 2:10 am

mark poulson wrote:

Have you tried other line on that reel? It might just be that particular brand and size of braid making the noise.
Not yet, its my 2nd time using it.. Make sense.. Will try other braided..

Jawa Caster
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Jawa Caster » Thu May 18, 2017 2:13 am

Bootytrain wrote:

I could barely make out the noise but it sounds like the brake pipe needs oil. That sound is similar to what my older svs infinity 2 reels made at the end of the cast when they needed oil.
Already lube the brake pipe with oil.. If the sound come from the brake pipe its ok.. Sooner the brake pipe will worn out then the sound will reduce.. Im just curious if the sound came from bearing..

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon May 22, 2017 12:27 pm

Jawa Caster wrote:
mark poulson wrote:

Not yet, its my 2nd time using it.. Make sense.. Will try other braided..
Also try some kind of mono, to see if it's just a braid noise.

sprogk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sprogk » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:28 am

masterbass wrote:I wish they just used brass in the met mgl because the weight savings is hardly worth it IMO. Admittedly I haven't had any issues yet, but brass gears should make it smoother and more durable. Has anyone had to replace their met gears?
The new Curado K micromodule brass gears are compatible with Metanium MGL. All my Met's designated for moving baits are getting changed to brass main gear.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:33 am

sprogk wrote:
masterbass wrote:I wish they just used brass in the met mgl because the weight savings is hardly worth it IMO. Admittedly I haven't had any issues yet, but brass gears should make it smoother and more durable. Has anyone had to replace their met gears?
The new Curado K micromodule brass gears are compatible with Metanium MGL. All my Met's designated for moving baits are getting changed to brass main gear.
I am SOOO jealous!

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:03 pm

sprogk wrote:
Awesome. How do we source the gear sets? Do you just need the gear and pinion?

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:10 am

sprogk wrote:The new Curado K micromodule brass gears are compatible with Metanium MGL. All my Met's designated for moving baits are getting changed to brass main gear.
FK YEAH!

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:16 am

Only the drive gear is compatible. You must use the Met pinion. Still a great fix to the buzzing gear issue.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:47 am

So is the pinion aluminum too??? I know brass/aluminum is still better than aluminum/aluminum though (IMO). Gonna have to take another look at the JDM Metaniums now, and I figure tackletrap should soon have the Curado K gears if this swap is reliable.

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:40 pm

I don't suppose the K gears fit Aldeberans??

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:35 pm

Is the Curado K Drive gear swap confirmed? I'm very happy just thinking about it, wow no more pain in the butt Aluminum drive gear! that Gear should get the product of the year award! I have my fingers crossed hoping it's true.

Kurt