Should I sell my SV spools?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Should I sell my SV spools?

Post by Pegasus » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:17 am

toddmc wrote:
jpd0144 wrote:
toddmc wrote: Yes, the braking profile of the SV is stronger than most at the end of the cast making you feel like you are losing distance, but I'm not losing much distance over other spools with my SV spool reels. I can only speak for the the Steez SV and SV103 reels that I own.
Very few people fish in open water bombing long casts all day. I find it hard to believe that anyone wants reels that are only distance casters. I spend as much time as anyone bombing casts with reaction baits in open water, but even I have a few SV reels in my arsenal.
Very well put !

I find TT as a whole tends to lean towards small/light reels are always best or max distance is always best even if it means border line backlashes all day with wind change. Of course you get to brag on a key board about how fast your spool is over the next guy though and never admitting how many backlashes you've pick out that shelf queen with the spool tension cranked down since you've owned it.

So far fishing open water to bank beating I have 7 reels in my lineup with SV spools. 3 Steez EX's with SV spools and 4 Zill/SV103's and loving the versatility and ease of fishing they offer to each platform.

Keep the spools IMO ... Change or flush the stock bearings and enjoy catching fish instead of staring at your spool mid cast hoping it makes it till the end without fluff while riding the edge. Your butt cheeks will tank you at the end of a long day for not being clinched in fear of ruining that new spool of expensive flouro ! :lol:

Im being silly but I guess to each their own. If I was walking around a pond chilling with a back pack and 2 combos I can see all the technical stuff intriguing me to tinker more with some of the mods and ideas.
When im on the trolling motor covering water I have a boat to run safely in the wind most cases, graphs to watch, making sure my partner still is getting a shot at fishable water, and me still try and catch fish. The last thing I need is to be picking back lashes because the wind changed a little or I turned the boat and I thought I needed 3 extra feet on every cast ... :roll:
I've heard of people having problems with the Alphas SV and the SS SV spools, but man I have fished the heck out of my SV103 and Steez SV reels over the last year or so with hardly a backlash. It is hard to put down the SV spool reels. I was out this week bombing casts in open water with a 1/2 oz bait plus a trailer, and the SV distance certainly wasn't hurting vs. the other spools in my Daiwa reels.
I've been fishing casting reels for almost four decades, making me more experienced than most. I am experienced enough to know exactly when to adjust my reel's spool settings for changing conditions. This may be the main reason why I may only have had a handful of serious backlashes over an entire year while fishing the non-SV Daiwa reels. I may have none this year if I can't put down my SV spool reels! :lol: The SV spool reels have really helped me loosen up what little tension is left in my cheeks! ;) I don't think that I want that tension back unless I find myself in prison! :shock:

LOL I am reading between the lines.......

tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tditox4 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:29 am

LOL !!!!!!!!!.......× infinity =)))) =)))) =)))) =)))) =)))) ..... BEST post that I have ever read on TT ! Congrats sir ! I know at one time or another , we have all clenched our cheeks at one time or another when we have thrown that " dangerous "cast .

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:37 pm

tditox4 wrote:LOL !!!!!!!!!.......× infinity =)))) =)))) =)))) =)))) =)))) ..... BEST post that I have ever read on TT ! Congrats sir ! I know at one time or another , we have all clenched our cheeks at one time or another when we have thrown that " dangerous "cast .
Thanks ! I figured a few of us could relate ... 8-)

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:31 am

Sv spools are very controlled out of the box. Some have longer inductors than others and can be even more heavily braked. You can swap out the spring for a stronger one and it will wake the spool up. You can also swap inductors. I have no issues with distance on the 103 or 105. They both cast as far as I need them to. I purchased some of the diy inductors and also had one from an old diy spool with a bent spool shaft. They really don't seem to change the spools braking profile very much. They're lighter and the inductor is thinner but it doesn't seem to change the performance of the spool to me.
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/1290/wFx2GT.jpg

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:57 am

How difficult was it to do.thr DIY inductor swap?

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:24 am

LowRange wrote:How difficult was it to do.thr DIY inductor swap?
That would depend on how good you're at working on stuff. More specifically small parts in tight places. It's got some small parts that will go flying if you aren't careful. It can be tricky if it's your first time. I still hate messing with them and try not to if at all possible. I did it out of curiosity and the results weren't there to me.

klondike1024
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by klondike1024 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:02 pm

Real Pudd legend wrote:I get my sv spools adjusted with a different spring from Ian shields . It's that fast smooth feeling you are looking for , trust me . It feels 3 times better and casts further. All my sv spools have zpi ceramics or Yt fusion bearings , Ian has made my reels racing machines with effortless distance and not an overbearing sv braking profile.
I had this done also to an sv spool that I have in a steez ex100hs. My experience is exactly the same. You could not have described the characteristics of an Ian Shields tuned sv spool better. It is an absolute pleasure to fish with.

klondike1024
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by klondike1024 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:06 pm

jpd0144 wrote:
tditox4 wrote:LOL !!!!!!!!!.......× infinity =)))) =)))) =)))) =)))) =)))) ..... BEST post that I have ever read on TT ! Congrats sir ! I know at one time or another , we have all clenched our cheeks at one time or another when we have thrown that " dangerous "cast .
Thanks ! I figured a few of us could relate ... 8-)
:lol:

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:05 pm

How does the spring swap affect skipping? If it can't skip a wacky 4'' senko thumb free with your eyes closed then it is a bit of a step backwards IMO. If I valued distance more than control I would opt for a non SV spool rather than mod an SV. So... how does a stiff spring SV perform? What non SV spool does it perform most similar too?

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:55 am

Rippin-lips wrote:Sv spools are very controlled out of the box. Some have longer inductors than others and can be even more heavily braked. You can swap out the spring for a stronger one and it will wake the spool up. You can also swap inductors. I have no issues with distance on the 103 or 105. They both cast as far as I need them to. I purchased some of the diy inductors and also had one from an old diy spool with a bent spool shaft. They really don't seem to change the spools braking profile very much. They're lighter and the inductor is thinner but it doesn't seem to change the performance of the spool to me.
Wow, I am little confused is the SV103 a good distance caster yes or no. I fish from the bank so I need distance I am not comfortable with controlled out of the box , and I don't want to change inductors or springs, I just want to fish.
I had a Team Daiwa Zillion 100SHL does it cast further and better than that reel ?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:04 am

If you fish from the bank then you should probably just get a Shimano.

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:31 am

Yes, it's a good caster in stock form.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:40 pm

Pegasus wrote:
Rippin-lips wrote:Sv spools are very controlled out of the box. Some have longer inductors than others and can be even more heavily braked. You can swap out the spring for a stronger one and it will wake the spool up. You can also swap inductors. I have no issues with distance on the 103 or 105. They both cast as far as I need them to. I purchased some of the diy inductors and also had one from an old diy spool with a bent spool shaft. They really don't seem to change the spools braking profile very much. They're lighter and the inductor is thinner but it doesn't seem to change the performance of the spool to me.
Wow, I am little confused is the SV103 a good distance caster yes or no. I fish from the bank so I need distance I am not comfortable with controlled out of the box , and I don't want to change inductors or springs, I just want to fish.
I had a Team Daiwa Zillion 100SHL does it cast further and better than that reel ?

Out of the box i have had no issues.. IOT manage your expectations though what is the weight of the lures your casting and rod combo. The reel alone is only half of the issue in casting. If you just want to fish set the magdial on 3 and fish. if you want to push the limits.. change out the bearings and if you want to push the limits and performance..send it to be tuned.

My og zillions will cast just as great the advantages of the sv spool for me at in adverse conditions and close quarters casting and skipping.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:44 pm

i have to say this as well.
Part of the reasons why i own so many reels that are the same is because I often compare a stock reel to a tuned reel
to validate the tuning or nontunning , added bearings etc.. So to me I get a clear picture of what a reel is capable of or not.
I have two SV103xs and in a month when I recover from my engine repairs i will be looking for another to drop in the 1016 spool i just got off here. The beauty of it all is knowing what you want and getting there. If Distance is what you want you can get it from that stock reel.. EXTREME Distance with a light weight lure is is different
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Mon May 01, 2017 4:03 am

I can't fairly compare the SV103 with my OG Zillion since the OG has ZPI bearings and the SV103 still sports the greasy stock ones.

I can say that the SV103 is very good with a 3/8 oz jig and trailer and surprisingly good with a 1/4 oz jig and chunk. I'll get ceramics for it in my next Tackle Trap order. Later this summer I'll be able to tell you how the 1016 fares in it with some big walkers.