Daiwa J-Braid X4

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa J-Braid X4

Post by Tony9 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:50 am

Anybody try these yet? Price seems good. $10.99 for 150 yards.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa J-Braid X4

Post by reason162 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:38 am

I just picked up a spool of 20lb neon, feels like traditional 4 carrier but more round. Will spool on Scorpion 70 to bounce jigs in saltwater, hopefully this alleviates the original J-braid's tendency to tip wrap when I pop on slack line.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:38 am

Anybody got anymore input? Might be a future purchase between this and the Maxcuatro.
<")))><{

Nicky
Angler
Angler

Post by Nicky » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:21 am

got a spool of 30 lb yellow ,haven't used it yet but it feels a lot like the original suffix braid.
I'll post back when I get to use it

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat May 06, 2017 1:07 pm

Been fishing it now for a few weeks. LMB SMB pike and hybrids.

GOod stuff. It's softer when worn in than standard power pro 4 strand.

It feels like power pro 4 when new. But it's courseness lessens after use.

The salad hasn't filled in yet. SO I can't comment on how it buzz saws grass just yet.

So far it is very good stuff.

Have it spooled on an mgxtreme 2 in 30lb and can throw 1/8 to 1 ounce with no issues at all.

On the high side in terms of sensitivity (steez ags 8')

If it cuts vegetation like OG pp4. I have a calcutta DC that is going to be the recipient of it next. And it will make that overpriced sunline black and blue line obselete.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sun May 07, 2017 12:50 am

What each person wants in a braid is very subjective. It's important for people to understand when they can benefit from a braid that is not ultra slick. The X4 is solid for those that want more abrasion resistance and are fishing baits that cause a lot of twist.
The X4 diameter is much thicker than the same claimed diameter of SX1. I'm only basing this on the 10lb. yellow X4 that I am currently fishing. If you compare 10 lb. Smackdown, SX1, and X4 in 10lb., you will find that Smackdown is smallest with the SX1 in the middle and the X4 being the largest.
Beware that the X4 will be noisier and will not cast as far as the super slick and coated 8 carrier braids. I got tired of wind knots because of line twist on spinning when dropshotting the super slick lines. That is why I have been fishing the stiffer SX1, but it's not available in a yellow/chartreuse color in 10lb. Unfortunately, the 10 lb. X4 is so thick that I am going to have to try the 8lb.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu May 11, 2017 3:12 am

toddmc wrote:What each person wants in a braid is very subjective. It's important for people to understand when they can benefit from a braid that is not ultra slick. The X4 is solid for those that want more abrasion resistance and are fishing baits that cause a lot of twist.
The X4 diameter is much thicker than the same claimed diameter of SX1. I'm only basing this on the 10lb. yellow X4 that I am currently fishing. If you compare 10 lb. Smackdown, SX1, and X4 in 10lb., you will find that Smackdown is smallest with the SX1 in the middle and the X4 being the largest.
Beware that the X4 will be noisier and will not cast as far as the super slick and coated 8 carrier braids. I got tired of wind knots because of line twist on spinning when dropshotting the super slick lines. That is why I have been fishing the stiffer SX1, but it's not available in a yellow/chartreuse color in 10lb. Unfortunately, the 10 lb. X4 is so thick that I am going to have to try the 8lb.
How does a course braid become more durable or abrasion resistant? ANd how does it twist less?

I'm on the same spool of fins 40g 5lb and after thousands and thousands of casts. Not drop shotting either but long casts using a 9'6 throwing minnow baits or bottom bouncing in rivers. There isn't a fuzz out of place. That is one of the slickest non coated lines on the market.

NEver had any wear on maxxima braid either. And that has got to be the slickest 10lb usdm braid out.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu May 11, 2017 5:52 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
toddmc wrote:What each person wants in a braid is very subjective. It's important for people to understand when they can benefit from a braid that is not ultra slick. The X4 is solid for those that want more abrasion resistance and are fishing baits that cause a lot of twist.
How does a course braid become more durable or abrasion resistant? ANd how does it twist less?

I'm on the same spool of fins 40g 5lb and after thousands and thousands of casts. Not drop shotting either but long casts using a 9'6 throwing minnow baits or bottom bouncing in rivers. There isn't a fuzz out of place. That is one of the slickest non coated lines on the market.

NEver had any wear on maxxima braid either. And that has got to be the slickest 10lb usdm braid out.
I never used the word course. Do you mean "coarse" , as in rough, because the process of winding four larger carriers of the same material vs. 8 smaller carriers would probably cause an uncoated braid to feel more coarse, and it would probably cause more friction because the gaps created by the woven carriers would be larger with a 4 carrier braid. Someone feel free to chime in here with a physics lesson if I got it wrong. The four carriers will be larger than the 8 carriers in the same size overall diameter, and bigger fibers of the same material will tend to fray less. Coated fibers will also fray less.
If I understood you correctly, you are right in that the X4 does feel good for an uncoated braid. I'm not a braid manufacturer, and I haven't tried all of the braids on the market, but the uncoated 4 carrier braids tend to not cast as far and they tend to feel stiffer than most of the 8 carrier braids that I have tried. Smackdown and TX1 are both so soft that they tend to fray and break when they come in contact with hard objects, like rock and wood. I have heard people on here say that 4 carrier braids are woven tighter to get a round profile, but I don't know much about this. A dropshot tends to twist, and the X4 seems to have a lot less problems (wind knots) than the 8 carrier braids that I have tried.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Fri May 12, 2017 11:21 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:Anybody got anymore input? Might be a future purchase between this and the Maxcuatro.
I'd go with the x8 if you want something close to Maxcuatro. I prefer Samurai but the x8 is pretty close and much cheaper.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:22 am

I gave up on the 10lb. X4 because of the casting distance. It fills a niche for those that need a really tough line, but I had identical combos with SX1 and X4, and the X4 was casting approximately 15% shorter. SX1 is nowhere near the longest casting braid.

jbabin193
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jbabin193 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:54 am

I haven't used the X4, but I really like the X8... very smooth line.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:27 pm

earthworm77 wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:Anybody got anymore input? Might be a future purchase between this and the Maxcuatro.
I'd go with the x8 if you want something close to Maxcuatro. I prefer Samurai but the x8 is pretty close and much cheaper.
Maxcuatro is more like j braid x 4 than x8

Due to how coarse they are.

I have a feeling that power pro will be coming out with a MaxOcho.

But the x4 is not a very tightly wound braid.

It's a good all around braid. Cheap, Reliable and consistent.

There are better lines out there but your now in the 30 dollar or more for 300yards price range.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:56 pm

Been using it for reaction baits in the 40lb, it feels slightly thicker than standard power pro but after some time it get smoother. I like it and haven't hand any break offs or weird issues . It's casts nicely and I have no complaints , I have not had any horrible bleeding at all , to be honest it has t faded at all for 3 trips so far. I like it and will continue to use. Next time I will go with the 30lb ..

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:08 pm

I have a spool of 50lb 4x which I used for fishing weeds in Canada. It's OK, but only really OK for that job. It's too soft for the way I fish and when trying to throw slack to allow the bait to sink in the deep weed it tip wrapped too frequently. It's also not very tightly wound, so I doubt it would be as robust as standard power pro. I'm going to try Maxcuatro to see if that has the stiffness of original PP next.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:29 pm

15 and 20lb x4 in yellow: after 8 or 9 trips, line is faded to almost white. No bueno! Other than that, a decent line...wears nicely (aside from the color fade), no fuzziness and the wound seems tight. Not as noisy as original PP. I do require a hi-vis line for most of my fishing, so sadly the x4 is coming off my reels.