Removing spool bearing from new metanium MGL

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Removing spool bearing from new metanium MGL

Post by jpmoney » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:37 am

Just wondering if anyone else who has a shimano metanium MGL reel has tried removing the spool bearing? After removing the spool pin and retainer c-clip the bearing doesnt come off the shaft as expected...it still seems to be stuck in place. Do i need some sort of special tool to remove it?

Thanks!

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Removing spool bearing from new metanium MGL

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:11 am

Did you try heating the bearing up with a torch? :doh:

J/K dont do that.

Maybe put a drop of oil where it meets the shaft, and try and gently tap it with a small screwdriver and hammer to get it to pop off.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:49 am

PB Blaster penetrating oil. I used to spay the open ended lugnuts on my old zillion mile rusty Taurus because they would seize up from rust. If the stuff can get those off then it should be able to handle your bearing.

fishermun
Angler
Angler

Post by fishermun » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:54 am

I put a drop of CLR on the pin and lightly tapped it out with a small hammer and punch, veeeery carefully.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:54 am

I have the hedgehog type R bearing remover and successfully removed the spool pin. The issue i am having is actually sliding the bearing off the spool shaft once the pin and c-clip are removed. It seems really snug, so i dont want to damage the spool in trying to remove it. I will try lubing it tomorrow and will update on my progress and hopeful success. [-o<

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:42 am

jpmoney wrote:
I have the hedgehog type R bearing remover and successfully removed the spool pin. The issue i am having is actually sliding the bearing off the spool shaft once the pin and c-clip are removed. It seems really snug, so i dont want to damage the spool in trying to remove it. I will try lubing it tomorrow and will update on my progress and hopeful success. [-o<
Shimano probably designed it that way due to the silent tune

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:37 am

@OP How did this work out for you? Wanting to upgrade the spool bearings on my MGL and am facing the same issue.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:55 am

cortman wrote:@OP How did this work out for you? Wanting to upgrade the spool bearings on my MGL and am facing the same issue.
Worked out fine in the end - i put a drop of oil on the shaft where it meets the inside diameter of the bearing and with a bit of force it eventually popped off. I had to hold the spool firmly in my left hand and used my right hand the pull the bearing off the shaft. A little annoying but it worked out in the end.

Which bearings are you upgrading to? I put on some ZPI SICs and I'm extremely impressed- the reel just got even better. :big grin:

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:19 am

jpmoney wrote:
cortman wrote:@OP How did this work out for you? Wanting to upgrade the spool bearings on my MGL and am facing the same issue.
Worked out fine in the end - i put a drop of oil on the shaft where it meets the inside diameter of the bearing and with a bit of force it eventually popped off. I had to hold the spool firmly in my left hand and used my right hand the pull the bearing off the shaft. A little annoying but it worked out in the end.

Which bearings are you upgrading to? I put on some ZPI SICs and I'm extremely impressed- the reel just got even better. :big grin:
Hm, ok- so this is the bearing directly under the pin and the retainer? You were able to get your fingers in under the bearing and pull it off?

Thanks for the response! I got a pair of Hedgehog ZR bearings from a secret santa on another forum (thanks LgMouthGambler!) and am going to install them. Can't wait to see how much better this already amazing reel can get!

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:23 am

Never mind- got it off myself no problem. I used a very small screwdriver to pry gently around the edges and it popped right off. I'm super eager to try out the new bearings! Just spinning the handle I noticed they sound different. :D

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:38 am

cortman wrote:Never mind- got it off myself no problem. I used a very small screwdriver to pry gently around the edges and it popped right off. I'm super eager to try out the new bearings! Just spinning the handle I noticed they sound different. :D
I've got 3 spools for my MGL's. All 3 did the same. My guess is either the inside of the bearing or the shaft isn't as smooth as it is with Daiwa.

paulito
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by paulito » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:49 pm

jpmoney wrote:

I have tried ZPI Sic and Hedgehog air HD. I would say the zpi is quieter.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:47 pm

paulito wrote:
jpmoney wrote:

I have tried ZPI Sic and Hedgehog air HD. I would say the zpi is quieter.
Cool, luckily for me noise doesn't bother me at all so long as it feels good. :D

greyhound
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by greyhound » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:18 am

jpmoney wrote:Just wondering if anyone else who has a shimano metanium MGL reel has tried removing the spool bearing? After removing the spool pin and retainer c-clip the bearing doesnt come off the shaft as expected...it still seems to be stuck in place. Do i need some sort of special tool to remove it?
How did you remove this annoying C-Clip? :)