What is your finesse casting rod?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: What is your finesse casting rod?

Post by Houndfish » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:08 am

LowRange wrote:
southpaw619 wrote:the STC-63UL is certainly an ultra light rated BFS rod that is capable of casting 2 grams very well.
Well now I really want one, I don't ever really mess with spinners below 1/16oz/

Also, I had looked at bass.co.jp before, but never found the rods. In fact, I just received a reel that I ordered from them, a Daiwa Alphas 150H. See, I thought it was a Alphas 105H, which for the $50 they were asking, would be the steal of the century. It might have been late and there might have been beers involved. But in anycase, they do ship very fast and seem to have a good reputation. Now I just need to find someone local to split the shipping with me.

gailt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gailt » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:01 am

Major Craft Volkey 6-5 light

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:55 pm

Houndfish wrote:
LowRange wrote:
southpaw619 wrote:the STC-63UL is certainly an ultra light rated BFS rod that is capable of casting 2 grams very well.
Well now I really want one, I don't ever really mess with spinners below 1/16oz
I have the 6'4" light powered version of this stick and my lightest lure that I use regularly is a 1.3g micro crankbait similar to the snap bean. I can get 40-50 feet distance with a good reel and 6lb mono. The UL version should do even better.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:11 pm

Whelp, the last STC-63UL is gone. They still have the STC-64L in stock.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:23 pm

Yea, I could not justify the shipping for a single rod and honestly want to see how the Teton I ordered works out for me. I suspect I will end up going custom if I end up wanting a nicer BFS rod in any case.

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:52 am

Definitely not BFS, but the 852 and 842 NRX are very difficult to beat. But I don't do true BFS on casting equipment

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:54 am

My 2 BFS rods are custom.

Phenix Mirage UL 6'1"

St Croix Legend Elite 7' Lite

The NRX 852c is a pretty nice finesse rod as well. I use mine for worms and small jigs.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

southpaw619
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by southpaw619 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:12 am

LowRange wrote:Whelp, the last STC-63UL is gone. They still have the STC-64L in stock.
I grabbed it, can't wait to try a solid tip! I fish exclusively small plastics in the 1-4.5 gram range and always feel a disconnect with tube rods.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:17 am

southpaw619 wrote:
LowRange wrote:Whelp, the last STC-63UL is gone. They still have the STC-64L in stock.
I grabbed it, can't wait to try a solid tip! I fish exclusively small plastics in the 1-4.5 gram range and always feel a disconnect with tube rods.
Good call. It's a helluva rod.

rgbtr196le
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rgbtr196le » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:18 am

Dobyns DX 702C

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:52 pm

southpaw619 wrote:
Please report back once you have some time with it.

I got to cast my Teton around the yard a little yesterday. A PX68 w/ a DYI spool is way too much for me on that rod, I don't have the thumb for it. Switching back to the stock spool and upping my lure to ~3g was the ticket and I was getting good distance but accuracy could use some work. Very glad I got a cheaper UL rod to mess with, I am going to give it a go but might go running back to a more controllable L rod.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:49 pm

Houndfish wrote:
southpaw619 wrote:

I got to cast my Teton around the yard a little yesterday. A PX68 w/ a DYI spool is way too much for me on that rod, I don't have the thumb for it. Switching back to the stock spool and upping my lure to ~3g was the ticket and I was getting good distance but accuracy could use some work. Very glad I got a cheaper UL rod to mess with, I am going to give it a go but might go running back to a more controllable L rod.
Using a slower, more gentle casting motion should help. The rod does most of the work.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:19 am

Houndfish wrote:
southpaw619 wrote:

Something may be wrong with your DIY spool. The spools know to be are very controllable. Verify its operation by grasping the inductor and rotating it. It should rotate a 1/4 turn and stop while extending outwards. If it spins freely then the industor has become unglued from the air brake mechanism and will need to be re-attached.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:04 am

I had thought of that and checked the spool after. It has the same range of motion as the stock spool. I am only maybe 4-6 months into using a casting reel, so my thumb is very inexperienced. I did some casting around with the DIY installed with the reel mounted on my Phenix rod and was able to throw the same lures around far more controllably. I am going to keep at it, but casting on land is far less forgiving then over the water, so I am still hopeful.

southpaw619
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by southpaw619 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:48 pm

Houndfish wrote:

Will do!

Maybe try mixing up technique or reel settings and give Teton another shot. That rod can do some pretty amazing things casting with low weights. The fact that you need that much thumb makes it seem like something is a little off. The biggest joy of BFS is one handed thumb free casting.