Fujin Spider

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Fujin Spider

Post by LowRange » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:08 am

I picked up some of these last season and they have been a blast to fish with, They're a floating soft plastic with a foam floating jig head and two weed guards. They imitate a dying insect better than anything I've thrown but are very light weight and certainly UL in nature. The only rod I own that can cast them well is the Jackson Super Trickster UL. If I throw the bait really hard I can get the Teton 662L to load just enough to lob it up to 10 feet. I like to toss the bait in pockets of matted vegetation and jiggle the rod. Durability is crummy but they're a lot of fun.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCSJoHva_o8

Image: Attached
Attachments
FujinSpider.jpg
FujinSpider.jpg (56.55 KiB) Viewed 8646 times
Last edited by LowRange on Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Fujin Spider

Post by earthworm77 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:19 am

That is pretty cool, there are a ton of baits like this made by Megabass and some other Japanese companies.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:37 am

Others you say? Interesting, my fujin spider supply has dried up. What other baits out there are similar to fujin spider? I've got the Jackal one but it's not weedless.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:49 am

These tiny Fujin Spiders look great!

But, even more so, it looks like such a really, really FUN way to fish . . . what, I guess an ultra-ultra light top water presentation.

I looked and found several sources for them online and I think I'll pick up a few and give them a go.

My St. Croix rod I have on order is rated down to a low of 1/32 oz., or .886 grams, and I would hope with its 6'9" length, that it would cast one of these tiny critters a decent distance.

What fishing lines would any of you recommend as best possible choices for this? I am currently experimenting with the super tiny, .001" diameter 2 lbs. Sufix Nanobraid.

Brad

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:59 am

Braids or monos is what I would recommend to keep the bait on the surface. I fish mine in slop so I use #20 J Braid.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

IlliniDawg01

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:15 am

Elaztech should make a true spider and bug bait in some different sizes. Since they float they would be perfect and still have a good quarter oz weight to them so they would be pretty castable.

DaveJ

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:49 am

There's also the Abe Yanma which is larger and heavier version of the Fujin Spider that is more castable and creates more commotion.

http://www.imakatsu.co.jp/products/lure/pro_a051e.html

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

IlliniDawg01

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:19 am

Actually, you could pretty easily modify the Elaztech CrawdadZ to make a similar presentation with a small wacky hook and maybe a trimmed jig skirt or shredded wide rubber band. I'm definitely going to give that a shot (since I already have a bag) this spring for small bass and larger panfish. Thanks for sharing.

https://zmanfishing.com/store/categorie ... h/crawdadz

DaveJ

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:58 am

LowRange wrote:There's also the Abe Yanma which is larger and heavier version of the Fujin Spider that is more castable and creates more commotion.

Yes, I saw this one the other day when I was looking to order the Fujin Spiders.

It comes in at just a fraction under 1/8th oz. (3.2 grams) and I would imagine it'd be a great addition.

Too bad these little critters cost as much as they do. I can handle that mentally better than I can paying the shipping fees for something in a package likely an ounce or two.

It'd sure be nice if there were a domestic source, like Tackle Warehouse, where they could be added to other orders > $50 for free shipping.

Anyway, I just received a notification that my PSF60ULF is going to be delivered Wednesday, another notification that the little spiders I ordered have been shipped, too, so I'll tie on one the 2 lbs. braid I have on my reel and give them a go, reporting back casting distances and other results. I'll run my test over at the Texas Freshwater Fisheries in Athens, TX where there are abundant bluegills and stocked trout. I see the trout breaking the surface there constantly . . . not sure if they are playing tag with each other or hitting bugs that have flown/fallen into the water.

Brad

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:37 am

Brad in Texas wrote:
LowRange wrote:There's also the Abe Yanma which is larger and heavier version of the Fujin Spider that is more castable and creates more commotion.

Yes, I saw this one the other day when I was looking to order the Fujin Spiders.

It comes in at just a fraction under 1/8th oz. (3.2 grams) and I would imagine it'd be a great addition.

Too bad these little critters cost as much as they do. I can handle that mentally better than I can paying the shipping fees for something in a package likely an ounce or two.

It'd sure be nice if there were a domestic source, like Tackle Warehouse, where they could be added to other orders > $50 for free shipping.

Anyway, I just received a notification that my PSF60ULF is going to be delivered Wednesday, another notification that the little spiders I ordered have been shipped, too, so I'll tie on one the 2 lbs. braid I have on my reel and give them a go, reporting back casting distances and other results. I'll run my test over at the Texas Freshwater Fisheries in Athens, TX where there are abundant bluegills and stocked trout. I see the trout breaking the surface there constantly . . . not sure if they are playing tag with each other or hitting bugs that have flown/fallen into the water.

Brad
Bluegills go nuts over the bait but can't find the hook but you should be able to hook into some trout no problem. Another option is the Jackal IKE-CHU. I picked up two of these but haven't fished them yet. They are not pre-rigged or weedless like the Fujin Spider unfortunately.

Other similar tiny floating bug baits: Orikanemushi Tamamushi, Berkley Power Bait Aokimushi

Floating weedless jig heads: HOPTERA FLOATING JIG HEAD

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:56 am

I might have to try some of those, I currently use the Fish Arrow Airbag bug, it has a cupped mouth to work as a small popper. The detail is not on par with these spiders though.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:55 pm

LowRange wrote:Others you say? Interesting, my fujin spider supply has dried up. What other baits out there are similar to fujin spider? I've got the Jackal one but it's not weedless.
Check out Samurai tackle. Fish Arrow Air Bag Bug, GanCraft Big Spider, Jackall Ike Chu, Megaba Para Bug and Air Bee, Tiemco Shakey Bug and Panic Cicada and Smith Tackle Hoptera.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:56 am

Brad in Texas wrote:

Brad
Have you got a chance to try them out yet?

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:58 am

I have! But, not yet in the environment that I think the Fujin Spider is best intended. It is very well made, detail-wise. And, it sort of floats on its legs the way some bugs do it where they can, more or less, walk on water.

I should also add that while the lure is small, it is larger than I expected it to be. Still small, for sure.

I see this spider as it was depicted in one fishing video: thrown under low, overhanging branches on rivers and lakes where fish might stake out a position to await something falling into the water. It should also work well in vegetation when fish are feeding up and hitting food sources on the surface.

I'm glad you reminded me; I need to knot one on again and give it another go.

The 6'9" St Croix Panfish rod is a great rod and it casts really well. I have the 2 lbs. Sufix Nanobraid spooled on and it really supports long casts. This morning, I took it down to the dock and caught 2 small LMBs, one nice sized crappie and a blue gill. I was throwing and swimming a small jig. So far, with this 2 lbs. braid, the largest bass I've caught has been around one pound and I am looking forward to seeing if it can handle something in the 2 to 3 pounds range.

Brad

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:08 am

Glad to so that you like them. They rank as one of the most fun UL lures I own. They're something about pretending to be a dying insect on the surface water that is highly entertaining. These baits are decidedly FUN to fish.