Something new for this year ...

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Something new for this year ...

Post by uljersey » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:59 am

Going to try the single barbless hooks on a few of my hard baits. Been doing a bit of reading up on them, they've been used in many parts of the world with a lot of positive feedback. These are #6 Owner Cultivas ...

Small trebles can be a pain, especially in a small mouth. I'm optimistic that they'll be less prone to snags and gathering vegetation. Water's frozen here now, maybe will be able to get out with them toward the end of the week when it warms up.

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Something new for this year ...

Post by KlingerNOK » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:06 am

I'll be curious how they work out. I've floated the idea of using them on cranks when catching sandbass and hybrids because they are so dangerous to unhook with a mouthful of trebles.
Keep us updated!

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:16 am

KlingerNOK wrote:I'll be curious how they work out. I've floated the idea of using them on cranks when catching sandbass and hybrids because they are so dangerous to unhook with a mouthful of trebles.
Keep us updated!
Been fishing over 30 years, last year I joined the "treble in the thumb" club for the first time ... 5lb pizzed off largemouth + a rattletrap = misery, especially in a kayak. Paddling in, loading up and driving to the urgent care center with a size 6 treble in your thumb is no fun. That's what got me to rethinking trebles in the first place.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:33 am

Let us know how it works out. I just saw an underwater video of bass hitting hard jerkbaits.. a lot of their strikes they had the lure in their mouth for only a split second before spitting it out. Makes me think you need as many trebles as possible.

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:45 am

Bootytrain wrote:Let us know how it works out. I just saw an underwater video of bass hitting hard jerkbaits.. a lot of their strikes they had the lure in their mouth for only a split second before spitting it out. Makes me think you need as many trebles as possible.
That's a sweet video of your talking about the tacticalbassin.com video! Really amazing how fast those bass can strike and release.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:29 am

Jrob wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:Let us know how it works out. I just saw an underwater video of bass hitting hard jerkbaits.. a lot of their strikes they had the lure in their mouth for only a split second before spitting it out. Makes me think you need as many trebles as possible.
That's a sweet video of your talking about the tacticalbassin.com video! Really amazing how fast those bass can strike and release.
That's it! Makes you wonder how many strikes you miss when you let it pause for a long time

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:06 pm

Bootytrain wrote:
Jrob wrote:
That's it! Makes you wonder how many strikes you miss when you let it pause for a long time
No joke! Crazy video. Made me do some thinking for sure. With technology ever increasing I can't wait to see all we learn about bass fishing every year....

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:31 pm

Been using singles for quite a while, for Australian bass up to barramundi and Spanish mackerel. You do miss a few strikes, but once hooked they tend to stay hooked. No big difference in catch rate overall, and much much better for catch and release.

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CM_Stewart » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:34 pm

The size 6 looks about right, but did you try different sizes? I have been buying the size 12 (with the horizontal eye - Cultiva SBL35 for fly tying) and I would definitely say it is too small, but I wonder about the size 8.

Definitely let us know how they work out for you. I think they make a lot of sense - as long as you don't miss too many strikes.
Chris Stewart
(affiliations: TenkaraBum.com, Finesse-Fishing.com)

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:04 am

CM_Stewart wrote:The size 6 looks about right, but did you try different sizes? I have been buying the size 12 (with the horizontal eye - Cultiva SBL35 for fly tying) and I would definitely say it is too small, but I wonder about the size 8.

Definitely let us know how they work out for you. I think they make a lot of sense - as long as you don't miss too many strikes.
To be honest, I went with 6's more or less on an educated guess. I'm sure 8's would have worked well also. It's tough to choose hook sizes online without visual size references and slight differences in sizes between manufacturers (these hooks arent available locally for me)

I did use 00 split rings to install them, as many stock split rings are 1's and up, even on smaller baits. The 00's just seem to be a better fit.

Of course after ordering them, my 2017 Jann's Netcraft catalog shows up and they now carry Owner & VMC singles ... they have very good pricing on VMC bulk packs of 25 & 100. If this works out on my UL, I may try them on my regular baits next.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:49 am

I wonder if a treble with a longer shank would increase hook up ratios. Single hooks would sure make it easier to release the fish, that's for sure.
I haven't joined the treble in the finger club yet, and sure don't want to anytime soon!
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:59 am

The Owner singles are OK, but I think the VMCs are a better design. VMC 7237 have short shanks, a wide gape and come in sizes 6 through to 3/0. Great for small to medium lures. The silver VMC 7266 also have short shanks, a wide gap, but come in larger sizes 1/0 through to 9/0. I have caught a 2m Spanish mackeral on the 7266 in 2/0, they are very strong and one hook will last for many fish. The 7237s would be be fine for bass. I usually swim each lure to check what is the best hook size, as the action can change from trebles (usually more pronounced due to less hook drag and weight).

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:11 am

Strewth wrote:The Owner singles are OK, but I think the VMCs are a better design. VMC 7237 have short shanks, a wide gape and come in sizes 6 through to 3/0. Great for small to medium lures. The silver VMC 7266 also have short shanks, a wide gap, but come in larger sizes 1/0 through to 9/0. I have caught a 2m Spanish mackeral on the 7266 in 2/0, they are very strong and one hook will last for many fish. The 7237s would be be fine for bass. I usually swim each lure to check what is the best hook size, as the action can change from trebles (usually more pronounced due to less hook drag and weight).
Good info, thanks.

Could you give us a general idea as to what the single size equivalents are to common treble sizes ?

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:07 am

No hard and fast rules on this. Some claim that the gape should be the same as the widest points between the treble points, but this is often too big. From memory, some examples of sizes I use:

X-rap 10 size 1/0 7237
Skitter pop size 1/0 7237
gold bomber size 1/0 7266 or owner 1/0 (for barramundi)
vision 110 size 2 7266
lucky craft pointer 78 DD belly size 1, back size 1/0 7266
lucky craft pointer 78 belly size 1, back size 1/0 7266

For medium-sized deep diving cranks with big bibs, 1/0 is usually the size needed.

Of course, they can tangle if the shanks are too long or the hook is too big, so it pays to check this too.

replica66[]
Angler
Angler

Post by replica66[] » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:57 am

I've changed out all my panfish spoon's trebles for single hooks, and these are usually tipped with a tiny plastic skirt or bait. Nothing worse than a Bluegill or Redear with all three hooks of a treble embedded in their mouth.