Power Pro Super Slick 8

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
AussieBass
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Power Pro Super Slick 8

Post by AussieBass » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:09 pm

Has anyone used the super slick 8, interested to hear peoples opinions on pros and cons. I have bought some 30lb to which will be spooled on my new daiwa zillion hd when it arrives. I will be fishing mainly rockwalls and pontoons for mangrove jack. I have previously used sunline super pe and found it to be a great braid, the pp ss 8 is alot smoother finish and i can get alot more line on also. Any feedback on the pp ss 8 would be appreciated thanks.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Power Pro Super Slick 8

Post by MardukFIN » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:48 pm

I have used it many years. 15lb for light jigs and stuff. 65lb for pike with 1-4oz lures. I like it very much. Especially marine blue colour.
It's quiet, smooth, slippery and wont bring water to spool, which is important when fishing at cold weather (below 10'C).

Con: It's very difficult to settle backlash cause 8 braided line "opens" and theres bunch of very thin braids all over the place. Also if you managed to hook your line, it open again. It's like lint when coating peels off.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

IlliniDawg01

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:26 pm

30lb Slick 8 is my go to if I need to grab some line at a local store. Blue or green color. Blue for clear water and green for dirty water with lots of vegetation.

There are other braids I like similarly well because, as Aussie mentioned it has some drawbacks, but none are big problems for me.

It seems to tie great knots and albright to flouro leader knots hold well also.

8/10

DaveJ

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:14 am

I tried it and didn't like it very much. I found that the weave loosened off and spread, causing it to fray, especially near the leader knot.

ayo8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ayo8 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:14 am

I tried almost every name brand braid on the market and PP Super Slick 8 is my favorite.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:18 am

adam lancia wrote:I tried it and didn't like it very much. I found that the weave loosened off and spread, causing it to fray, especially near the leader knot.
same here , I tried it , found it separated up above the hook.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:00 am

johnD wrote:
adam lancia wrote:I tried it and didn't like it very much. I found that the weave loosened off and spread, causing it to fray, especially near the leader knot.
Separated and frayed aren't necessarily the same thing. I've noticed it split on the tag end and near knots, but it hasn't ever affected the strength of the line for me. Certainly not like knicks in mono/fluoro line.

DaveJ

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:26 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
johnD wrote:
Separated and frayed aren't necessarily the same thing. I've noticed it split on the tag end and near knots, but it hasn't ever affected the strength of the line for me. Certainly not like knicks in mono/fluoro line.

DaveJ
Mine would separate on the main line right above the knot. Once it did that, it would fray a lat sooner than I would have thought it should have. Also, this was at the leader knot on a spinning reel with a 15" leader so I'm fairly certain that part of the line wasn't coming into any contact with any cover. It just didn't seem like it would hold up so I stopped using it.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:07 pm

Its been a while since I used it, after a while mine started fraying pretty bad...

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:11 pm

All 8-braided does that same. Daiwa J-Braid, Daiwa Tournament 8, Sufix Pro 8 and ATC Bushido Combat Braid at least.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:29 pm

MardukFIN wrote:
All 8-braided does that same. Daiwa J-Braid, Daiwa Tournament 8, Sufix Pro 8 and ATC Bushido Combat Braid at least.
With the exception of Sufix 832. That's all I use now and am very happy with it.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:07 am

Sufix 832, Pline TCB 8, Maxima braid and seaguar smackdown do not fray like power pro 8 does.

Drew03cmc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Drew03cmc » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:18 am

Honestly, I love the Super Slick 8 carrier. I use it on my spinning setups with a fluoro leader. It's pretty dang nice stuff. I've used regular PP, 832 and something else, but i keep coming back to S8S.
Andy