Braid and line twist

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Braid and line twist

Post by mark poulson » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:26 am

I use 30lb braid with a fluoro leader on my spinning drop shot setup.
I use the braid to avoid line twist. The braid I use is the old, original Stren Super round braid, so it's more than ten years old.
Do the new smooth braids help to avoid line twist, too, or does their smooth coating cause them to behave more like a monofilament line?

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Braid and line twist

Post by toddmc » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:23 am

All lines will twist. The softer coated braids give less indication that you are about to have a wind knot. This makes them dangerous. The softer braids just bunch up all of sudden and are very difficult to pick apart. You will most likely have to cut the knot out. The stiffer lines (like most fluoros and older braid) give plenty of indication that you about to have a wind knot, such as tip wrap and loops on the spool . You should cast or drag your line behind the boat without your worm several times a day, no matter what line you use. You just have to do it less with braid vs. fluoro or mono. You will also have to remove line twist less if you use a swivel.
One other factor is the reel that you use. A bigger spool diameter and a smoother ball bearing(s) supported bail roller will cause less twist.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: Braid and line twist

Post by mark poulson » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:28 am

toddmc wrote:All lines will twist. The softer coated braids give less indication that you are about to have a wind knot. This makes them dangerous. The softer braids just bunch up all of sudden and are very difficult to pick apart. You will most likely have to cut the knot out. The stiffer lines (like most fluoros and older braid) give plenty of indication that you about to have a wind knot, such as tip wrap and loops on the spool . You should cast or drag your line behind the boat without your worm several times a day, no matter what line you use. You just have to do it less with braid vs. fluoro or mono. You will also have to remove line twist less if you use a swivel.
One other factor is the reel that you use. A bigger spool diameter and a smoother ball bearing(s) supported bail roller will cause less twist.
Thanks. That makes perfect sense.
Whatever happened to a free lunch? Hahaha