Swimbait reel

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
JonathanBlaise
Angler
Angler

Re: Swimbait reel

Post by JonathanBlaise » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:45 am

isnt line capacity an issue with the z2020?

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:10 am

JonathanBlaise wrote:isnt line capacity an issue with the z2020?
It's understated.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:17 pm

toddmc wrote:They are both great reels. I like lo pro reels because my hands aren't huge. I've never cared for round swimbait reels because of this. I would choose the Z or even a tuned Lexa 300.
I used both a Z200 and Lexa 300 with big baits this summer on a Canada trip. I honestly liked the Lexa better. The Z felt under powered with anything bigger than 4oz imo and I started having clutch problems by the 3rd day. The Lexa didn't seem to break a sweat. I use 50lb braid, so line capacity was fine on both. The Z would be a superior big crankbait reel for sure though I think.

DaveJ

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:21 am

I like the shimano curado 301 myself..

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:59 am

I have plenty of line capacity on my z and it's powerful enough for any swim bait I throw. Tank of a reel. I also use it for mag cranks, big ledgebuster spinnerbaits, big flutter spoons, and really any technique that I'd use heavy line or big lures. The mag force 3d braking is awesome and I've used it for 1/2 oz baits and it was awesome but I prefer the og zillion/sv103 for that size stuff

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:28 am

timsford wrote:I have plenty of line capacity on my z and it's powerful enough for any swim bait I throw. Tank of a reel. I also use it for mag cranks, big ledgebuster spinnerbaits, big flutter spoons, and really any technique that I'd use heavy line or big lures. The mag force 3d braking is awesome and I've used it for 1/2 oz baits and it was awesome but I prefer the og zillion/sv103 for that size stuff
For me, the Z was made for throwing Krazy eight umbrella rig from Hi's Tackle box. 8-)

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:28 pm

Def the Conquest one of the best reels out there. Smooth and robust and looks very nice! Consider the 401. More line for just a little bit more weight.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:19 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
toddmc wrote:They are both great reels. I like lo pro reels because my hands aren't huge. I've never cared for round swimbait reels because of this. I would choose the Z or even a tuned Lexa 300.
I used both a Z200 and Lexa 300 with big baits this summer on a Canada trip. I honestly liked the Lexa better. The Z felt under powered with anything bigger than 4oz imo and I started having clutch problems by the 3rd day. The Lexa didn't seem to break a sweat. I use 50lb braid, so line capacity was fine on both. The Z would be a superior big crankbait reel for sure though I think.

DaveJ
Even though I do not own either of these reels or a swimbait rod, I have heard this. Someone had a review (youtube I think) talking about how the Z200 thumb bar/clutch wasn't rated for huge lures. Fine for a good chunk but not heavyweights. They were using a Pluton and said its clutch felt better and more suited for larger lures. This was a smaller Pluton though, not like Ryoga Shrapnel size...

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:53 pm

Jdmbiggie wrote:is a zillion coastal or hlc to small for swimbait in long terms? i believe its still a beast of a reel but not sure how its really going to hold up on a long term basics

I have the Conquest 401 and the Daiwa Coastal TWS. The Conquest is my big swimbait reel and obviously awesome. I have used the Coastal for small - medium swim and glide baits as well and it does the job. For me the Daiwa is good till around 3-4 oz.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:35 am

One of the West Coast Bailey brothers, member of the Big Bass Posse and noted big swimbait fisherman, told me, years ago, to use the $99 Shimano Cardiff reels (they were less money back then). They are strong, cheap, and come with a warranty.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:15 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Someone had a review (youtube I think) talking about how the Z200 thumb bar/clutch wasn't rated for huge lures. Fine for a good chunk but not heavyweights.
Ive swapped out about 5 clutch thumb bars and their stainless clutch bar / through plates on two regular Z200's I do.

wandyhee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wandyhee » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:00 am

been looking for swimbait/big bait reel since last 2 months as well, to pair with my 702XH rod. bought Cardiff 200A on September but found out spool size of this reel are too small for 0.30mm braided line, only around 90m so I sold it and keep looking for better round reel which will spool up 150-200m braided line size 0.30mm.

Last 2 weeks I decided to pull the trigger and get myself Calcutta 400 (JDM) on ebay, received the package few days ago, spool it up with 0.30mm braided, 180m easily.

it's PITA to access spool on this reel so I do some screw replacement on handle side cover (M3x16mm). Besides, they're flat head and high risk to scratch my reel if screw driver slip. So I bought allen head screw from local hardware and do some DIY. This new screws no longer require tool, only hand tightening wil do :big grin:

somehow, RED look much better :D

casting with this reel with 1oz lure, hardly any backlash. I keep factory setup with 3 brakes activated. only set tension knob until lure drop slowly. after few cast with that setup with no backlash, I loosen the cap resulting lure drop faster and spool overrun with line came out of spool about 3ft, still hardly any backlash with that setup even with no thumb feathering the spool during the cast. this reel awesome! I'm glad I choose this reel for my big bait / swimbait setup =D>

wandyhee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wandyhee » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:20 am

Field test video, very impressive with this reel performance
:D

https://youtu.be/KlC6gKlSDOk

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:30 am

Can the bushing on the spool be replaced with a bearing? Just a question, I have no use for a reel this size right now, but was interested to know.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:21 pm

Ambassadeur Pro Rocket 5501 Black Edition with a 100mm Daiwa handle (gunmetal) and a ceramic pawl for me. I don't toss anything over 2.5 ounces, though, and I use the 8' Zillion deep cranking rod. If I were to go for a full blown swimbait setup I'd still use that reel, but I'd peel off the 30# J-Braid in favor of 25 or 30# Super Natural. I'd still want a Zillion swimbait rod, though, because it is definitely the sickest looking combo I have. They're getting hard to find, though.
This is the way.