Dedicated Senko fishing rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Dedicated Senko fishing rod

Post by Jdmbassman » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:19 pm

So you want to fish a T-Rigged 5" Senko (11g) with a 1/4oz (7g) bullet weight into less than 20' of water, what rod do you use ?

I appreciate that 6" Senkos (16g) are heavier than 5" (11g). The Tightlines UV 5" Worm (9g) is less than the Senko too so I adjust the size of the bullet weight accordingly but I'm using a 5" Senko and 1/4oz bullet weight for reference.

What Power and Taper/Action do you prefer ?

Also, a 7' or longer rod ?
Last edited by Jdmbassman on Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Dedicated Senko fishing rod

Post by cndbasshunter » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:50 pm

Nrx893

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:24 am

The NRX 893 is the obvious choice but I'm wondering why ? Is it the Power, Taper or Length that make this rod suited to Senkos.

I have the Megabass P3 Nautilus and Bearingdown as well as the X7 Extreme Mission as well as a NRX 843 MBR that could be used for Senkos and I do but I'm wondering what makes the perfect Senko rod so I can decide if the versatility of the NRX 843 MBR and Extreme Mission / Nautilus are preferred over the more limited NRX 893.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:07 am

The NRX 893C is the rod of choice for a 1/4 weighted senko (5" & 6") as it has the perfect combination of length, xfast taper and mega sensitive with FC line- all 3 of these qualities are what I look for when throwing senkos. One thing with senko fishing as that it's not a technique that absolutely requires a special length/tapered rod. Any rod 7ft+ with fast / xfast action and flexible tip section will work well. With a senko, the bites almost always happen during the fall while it's shimmying, so at this point the rod does nothing to your advantage. Since I typically will toss my senkos into open pockets with cover nearby I like a MH power to pull them out, and the longer rod length helps should I decide to flip cast into pockets. The xfast tip on the 893C is also flexible enough to accurately sling senkos with little effort.

With that being said, I also have used my NRX 843C quite a lot for senkos and this rod also works incredibly well for the technique. If I was tight for space on a boat or was bank fishing and could only bring 1 rod I would take the 843C as it's more versatile than the 893C and will allow you to switch baits if needed.

Really, senko fishing is a very simple technique and doesn't require excessive amounts of thought into which rod to use. I find the line selection is more important - I only will use a quality FC line.

fishindad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishindad » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:44 am

jpmoney wrote: Really, senko fishing is a very simple technique and doesn't require excessive amounts of thought into which rod to use. I find the line selection is more important - I only will use a quality FC line.
Agree with jpmoney. I concur that a high quality fluorocarbon line is the most important component of a dedicated Senko setup.

I use two rods, a Cara 5-1610 and Cara 5-172. The swim jig rod is an unbelievable Senko rod for big water smallies. The 6'10" rod I use for pitching to targets more with 10lb. line and smaller Senkos. I get most all my pickups on the drop. You don't need to invest in that much rod for a slack line technique. Unless you are mostly fishing a weighted bait on the bottom. Gary himself fishes a Senko with braid and a spinning rod, built to his specs.

dirtygeary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dirtygeary » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:33 am

Jdmbassman wrote:The NRX 893 is the obvious choice but I'm wondering why ? Is it the Power, Taper or Length that make this rod suited to Senkos.

I have the Megabass P3 Nautilus and Bearingdown as well as the X7 Extreme Mission as well as a NRX 843 MBR that could be used for Senkos and I do but I'm wondering what makes the perfect Senko rod so I can decide if the versatility of the NRX 843 MBR and Extreme Mission / Nautilus are preferred over the more limited NRX 893.
I have to say with the rods mentioned I think you are already on correct gear. Seems more like you just want to add to the arsenal. :-k

basskeeter1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by basskeeter1 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:13 am

=D>
dirtygeary wrote:
Jdmbassman wrote:The NRX 893 is the obvious choice but I'm wondering why ? Is it the Power, Taper or Length that make this rod suited to Senkos.

I have to say with the rods mentioned I think you are already on correct gear. Seems more like you just want to add to the arsenal. :-k
=D> :-({|= .... on point

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:09 am

I see conversations like this one and often wonder what I'm missing. It seems the only criteria anyone uses is what weight lure is being used. Rarely does cover come up or line being used. These are often for me bigger factors then lure weight.

In open water in KY, I might elect to use a BSR 852 glx with 4 and 5 inch senko's and I don't like spinning gear. The reason might be a more natural fall and low diameter line. When I fish Florida, I would always fish the 894 simply because of the cover I am throwing over top of. The memorable good largemouth bites I get into with a Senko is over heavy grass. Smallmouth are another story.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:53 am

DavidSA wrote:I see conversations like this one and often wonder what I'm missing. It seems the only criteria anyone uses is what weight lure is being used. Rarely does cover come up or line being used. These are often for me bigger factors then lure weight.

In open water in KY, I might elect to use a BSR 852 glx with 4 and 5 inch senko's and I don't like spinning gear. The reason might be a more natural fall and low diameter line. When I fish Florida, I would always fish the 894 simply because of the cover I am throwing over top of. The memorable good largemouth bites I get into with a Senko is over heavy grass. Smallmouth are another story.
It all starts with weight and it is not the only criteria, but it is a good starting point as you have to keep the weight within a rods ratings. Some like to throw weights that are just in the rods sweet spot.

Not all senkos are created equal and not all weigh the same. They can be anywhere between 3-6 inches give or take meaning under 1/4 oz to close to 1/2 oz or more. I might choose a 2 or 3 powered rod for a 3 or 4 inch senko, while opting for a rod up a power or two for 5 or 6 inch senkos. I always match the lure weight, line, rod, and to a degree the reel to what I am using. It is all relative. Cover, size of fish, and species are equally relevant as well.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:43 pm

Guilty as charged regarding the comment about trying to add another rod to my arsenal. I'm always on the look out to find the perfect tools for the job for fishing Wisconsin waters. 5lb is a trophy fish and the cover doesn't get too heavy. Medium (10lb Reaction FC & 12lb Shooter) to Medium Heavy (16lb Shooter) power covers 90% of my fishing.

I really do appreciate the feedback and it has opened my eyes to fishing a Senko. So much so, your wisdom has given me more confidence with this bait so fish beware.

Before this post, I was in a quandary as to whether I should sell my Nautilus in favor of getting a NRX 894 as the latter would fish light cover flipping situations better. Then I would use the Extreme Mission for Senko and Spinnerbaits.

It's a compliment to the Nautilus that I use it for all of the above but I just don't like the thin handle and prefer the bulkier cork handle of the Extreme Mission. The Extreme Mission doesn't suit flipping to light cover and based on your feedback, the rod doesn't play the primary role in fishing a Senko; I will keep the Nautilus and continue with the sale posting for the Extreme Mission.
Last edited by Jdmbassman on Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:39 pm

jpmoney wrote:Really, senko fishing is a very simple technique and doesn't require excessive amounts of thought into which rod to use. I find the line selection is more important - I only will use a quality FC line.
I fish senkos and flukes on Guntersville and use braid with fluoro leader. I fish them over the grass and let them sink in the holes. The braid floats and help kept the senkos moving and when I set the hook the line is not down in the grass.

fishindad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishindad » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:49 pm

Guys, now we are getting way too specific. I based my initial reply thinking the OP was asking about weightless T-rigged senkos in situations except heavy grass cover (mat) like BigG mentions. No one rod can cover every situation for a Senko - as I mentioned I use two rods for what I typically fish, clear relatively open water for smallies. We don't have many "Guntersville-like" lakes in Michigan (disclaimer: I've not yet fished Guntersville). But for situations where I want to throw/pitch a Senko into heavier grass, I use Falcon's Amistad, a 7'3" heavy. But I still use straight fluoro. GL finding your ultimate Senko stick! Nothing wrong with buying more gear, right?

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:11 pm

Sounds like a job for a Z-Bone, LE4 XF , be right in the sweet spot.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:32 am

XX EMTF. I've used the XX EMTF, NRX 893c, and X7 EM for this and the XX was my favorite stick for Senkos. The 893c was great, but I didnt like the recoils and the tip was too soft for me. The X7 EM is better and almost if not as sensitive as the NRX to me, but I designated it for jigs and t-rigs. The XX EMTF has been a dedicated Senko rod for a few years now and I cant find a reason to replace it. I fish it with 4-5" Original Senkos, Wacky or Texas rigged, weighted or unweighted, and all on 12lb fluoro.

RISE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RISE » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:38 am

Teal101 wrote:XX EMTF. I've used the XX EMTF, NRX 893c, and X7 EM for this and the XX was my favorite stick for Senkos. The 893c was great, but I didnt like the recoils and the tip was too soft for me. The X7 EM is better and almost if not as sensitive as the NRX to me, but I designated it for jigs and t-rigs. The XX EMTF has been a dedicated Senko rod for a few years now and I cant find a reason to replace it. I fish it with 4-5" Original Senkos, Wacky or Texas rigged, weighted or unweighted, and all on 12lb fluoro.
Agreed Ryan...This stick is hard to beat, and easily compares/beats out rods costing twice as much. I too have the X7 EM and prefer the XX for senko duties. The XX EMTF doesn't get the credit it VERY WELL deserves.