Shimano Deep Crank

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Shimano Deep Crank

Post by Katron » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:18 am

I need a reel for deep cranking and would prefer if it was shimano. I own a curado 200i and only have ownership experience with that reel for shimanos. I've owned high end daiwa: Steez, Ryoga, Zillion, but I've always wanted a few shimano reels. It also should be saltwater okay as it's likely it will be used in salt and brackish water. It also needs to be lefty.
So far my options are:

Antares 2012 5.6
Curado 51 E with low gear change
Calcutta
Aldebaran mg 5.8

Cranks will mostly be 1/2-1.5 ounces and 10 - 20 ft running depth.

Which would you choose? Also, feel free to throw in rod suggestions as well.

Weight isn't much of an issue as currently I'm using an Abu 5501 and find the weight just fine. Though lighter is always easier on the wrists.

Dark3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Shimano Deep Crank

Post by Dark3 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:54 am

How about a scorpion 70 6 speed? Reading alot of good feedback on these as good workhorses.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:33 am

Conquest 201, without a doubt.
And since you're already using a round reel, the transition will be seamless. It's also 2oz lighter than the 5501.

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:44 am

Dark3 - That's a good suggestion, certainly one of the most economical. I'm just concerned the 6.3 ratio is going to be too much strain on the arm after a day. I have tendinitis in my right arm so ease of cranking is a huge plus.

Spooky - I've been eying up a 101 dc. Any reason for suggesting the 201 size?

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:28 am

I would stay away from the Antares and Alde, just because they're both MG framed reels. Your warranty will be voided and both reels will get chewed up far quicker than their aluminum counterparts.

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:14 am

Good thought. I prefer the feel of aluminum frame reels anyway. I was wondering about the whole magnesium deal. I know some say they use mg in the salt but clean thoroughly after every trip, I'm not big on that kinda maintenance. This is the only non Curado reel I'll use in the salt btw.

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:18 am

I'm also curious as to why Shimano seems to say select magnesium reels are saltwater ok, yet Daiwa doesn't.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:43 pm

Shimanos paint process completely covers the magnesium, which protects it from saltwater. Scratch through the paint, and it will corrode. I use a Metanium XG in the salt and have no issues with it. Simple wash down after use and open it up when needed. For the reel, I would use either a Metanium or Conquest for those applications.

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:53 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:Shimanos paint process completely covers the magnesium, which protects it from saltwater. Scratch through the paint, and it will corrode. I use a Metanium XG in the salt and have no issues with it. Simple wash down after use and open it up when needed. For the reel, I would use either a Metanium or Conquest for those applications.
News to me, but sounds good enough for me, though!

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:11 am

That makes sense. I don't trust paint though. So I'll stick with the aluminum and c14 reels, I prefer be feel when cranking anyway.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:59 pm

Katron wrote:
Spooky - I've been eying up a 101 dc. Any reason for suggesting the 201 size?
You mentioned fishing in salt/brackish water, plus 1.5oz cranks. I figured you'll be using line over 10lbs & need the extra capacity of a 200(in this model) over a 100. That 101DC is pretty limited line capacity too.
The 100 size is really small in these new conquest, same size as previous 50.
I'd personally get this over previous 101 DC, if only for the micro brass gears(not to mention x-ship, 20 setting brakes, S3D balanced spool, disengaging level wind, etc ).
Everyone I've seen who owns one of these says it's a marvel & prefers it over previous models. E_bassfisher said its the sh*t, and if he says it you can take it to the bank.

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:34 am

Ok thanks for the explanation. I was thinking 101 only for suze and palmability. Since I will likely be using this reel for bluefish and stripers the 201 does make much more sense. Line will likely be 10-12lb mono. Thinking what I'll do is find a used DC 201 and then later on when I have more disposable income go for a 2016 101hg to round out the collection.