Snaps and split rings for Slammers

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Snaps and split rings for Slammers

Post by CGrinder » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:52 am

Hey, I can find pretty good information on hooks and split rings for hooks for the MS Slammers, but not much about snaps or split rings for the line tie. The stock snap scares me and the eye seems way too wide to tie direct. I'm looking at the Owner Hyper Crosslock but I'm not sure which size. What are you guys using? Thanks!

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Snaps and split rings for Slammers

Post by Toadslayer72 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:27 pm

The stock snap has been fine for me. I almost always swap out hooks and rings with Owner products on all of my baits but I do trust the stock snap. Now if you aren't going to use the snap like a snap, meaning use it for multiple lures, and you still want to swap it out, you can just put a big Hyper Wire on there too. I'm sure there are good snaps you can find though, I'm just throwing out other ideas.

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:43 pm

I take the snaps off of mine and use Owner Hyper wire split rings. Has worked fine for me multiple seasons now.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:23 pm

One thing I will say about the flexibility of a snap is that you can still take it off and tie directly. I believe it was Matt Peters of Souther Trout Eaters fame who I heard saying he likes to do both depending on the situation. I'm pretty sure it was in relation to the baits action and him feeling he had more "control" of the bait while going with a direct tie.

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:24 am

Thanks for the responses guys. Would I be looking at a #8 Owner ring for the line tie or would a 7 fit?

A snap seemed like a good idea given the large line tie. I'm not attached (ha) to the idea.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:35 pm

I just put a #7 on my 9" Slammer to see what's up with it, I think it looks good. You definitely need some larger split ring pliers because the line tie and hook hangers on Slammers are beefy mo-fos, by far the thickest of anything I throw. #7 Hyper Wire is the largest I have but I'm sure the 8 would be fine too.

Just some nerd numbers for you, the ID (inside diameter) of a #7 is about 9/32" where the side to side dimension on the stock snap is only about 3/16". Granted the snap is way longer on the north south dimension but I don't know how much of a difference any of it makes, Lol.

JonathanBlaise
Angler
Angler

Post by JonathanBlaise » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:33 am

decoy #5s or bust

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:38 pm

Any of the paper clip types work fine. Backlash or Tactical anglers.
The medium and large fastach clips work well too. (I hate mustad..norweigen for dull...but the clips are cool and durable)

If they work for stripers to 50lbs they'll hold for bass.

I pull the rings off of 90% of my other baits and use Mustad fastach or decory spiral snaps (or owner welded duolocs)