Iovino Custom Abu 4600C

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Iovino Custom Abu 4600C

Post by Big-Bass » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:31 am

Hey everyone,

I am just in the process of having a custom reel made that I want to add to my collection and hope it comes out really nice. Some of the younger folks may not be familiar with Don Iovino but he is such a stand up gentleman and knowledgable bass fisherman for the past 40+ years. He has been making custom Abu Ambassadeur reels for years using custom and new old stock (NOS) parts and his reels are some of the finest examples made. Many of his reels are showcase reels and many sell in Japan as true collector's items. They are a true work of art and he does such a great job of working with the customer to make a great reel.

Here are the specs for my reel:

Don Iovino Custom Abu Ambassadeur 4600C
Engraved "Don Iovino Special U.S.A." very hard to find chrome green side plates
Bright chrome frame
Silicone Drag System
Spool (shallow custom spool)
Handle (rare pearl white knob NOS Abu handle - only one Don had!)

Don said he said he had a lot of fun making this reel and was in constant communication through the process. He is a very upstanding gentleman with his product. Thanks and good fishing!
Last edited by Big-Bass on Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Iovino Custom Abu 4600C

Post by zodiak311 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:57 am

Big-Bass wrote:Hey everyone,

I am just in the process of having a custom reel made that I want to add to my collection and hope it comes out really nice. Some of the younger folks may not be familiar with Don Iovino but he is such a stand up gentleman and knowledgable bass fisherman for the past 40+ years. He has been making custom Abu Ambassadeur reels for years using custom and new old stock (NOS) parts and his reels are some of the finest examples made. Many of his reels are showcase reels and many sell in Japan as true collector's items. They are a true work of art and he does such a great job of working with the customer to make a great reel.

Here are the specs for my reel:

Don Iovino Custom Abu Ambassadeur 4600C
Engraved "Don Iovino Special U.S.A." very hard to find chrome green side plates
Bright chrome frame
Instant Anti-Reverse (compared to old model Abus of the classic variety)
Silicone Drag System
Star Drag (original NOS version Abu 4 point chrome version)
Line Guide (original NOS Abu nine line version guide)
Spool (shallow custom spool)
Handle (rare pearl white knob NOS Abu handle - only one Don had!)

Don said this is the only green 4600C he believes he ever made (and he has been making reels for 40+ years) and with all of the custom parts, it is literally the only version of this reel in the world. He said he had a lot of fun making this reel and was in constant communication through the process. He is a very upstanding gentleman with his product. I hope the reel is as good as it seems. I look forward to displaying this reel and maybe even putting it to good use. Just passing this along and when the reel arrives I will try to post pictures. Thanks and good fishing!
The "God Father of Finesse," is one of my favorite fisherman. Can't wait to see that gem!

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pharmboy2010 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:06 pm

This is going to be awesome! In my search for an old school combo, I looked very hard Don's stuff. In the end, I went a different route, but would love to still have an Iovino tuned Abu. Can't wait to see it. Would go green myself, too!

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:22 am

Don's reels are about as old school as you get. He was tuning those in the 80's and early 90's when I would see him guiding on Castaic Lake. I actually caught a 4600C with a Fenwick Eagle pistol grip rod while spooning at the bottom of Castaic around 1990. It looked like it hadn't been there long. I gave it a thorough tune with Smoooooth drag washers and it turned out pretty buttery smooth. I had a bass club member that had to have it and he paid a good price. Make sure you post a picture!

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:50 am

I will try and post pics once it is done and I get it. He was so cool to deal with on the phone...super nice guy! Plus the fact that he said he was stoked about this reel made me feel even better that it was not just one made from buying one off his site online. He was quick to call back, discuss options, and he mostly steered me in the direction that he felt would look best. Plus the fact that he said this was the only version of this (because of the unique parts) in the world makes it really cool. Hopefully the reel is as good as it sounds. It will most likely be a collector's piece but I may have to fish it a few times! Thanks!

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:27 pm

My reel is almost complete (waiting on one last part) and Don even changed out the black thumb nut side plate screws to chrome on the green frame (they were originally black but the frame will be chrome with green side plates so I wanted it to match). Don originally had one new old stock four point star drag left to keep the vintage look but his site (as I was reading) touts using a five point star drag as an option. He does have the five point star drags with the rounded edge but only one of the original four point chrome ones made by Abu as a new old stock item (similar to an Abu LightCast 4600CB but in chrome). What one would you use?

Update: Don said he thinks he likes the look of the five point star drag best and he will also include the four point star drag just in case i ever want to use it. That's absolutely awesome that he is including an option with the reel. He also updated some other things from the original design to make the reel even more unique and as he said: "pretty." I think he is shipping the reel today. He has been great to deal with and I would recommend him to anyone looking for a custom Ambassadeur reel for some vintage fishing! Best wishes and good fishing!

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:41 am

My reel arrived today and it is absolutely gorgeous! Don did the following with this reel:

Chrome frame
CDL gold/chrome line guide
CDL gold screws
Green engraved palming side plate and matching green plate for right hand retrieve (from Abu CB from the 80s)
Chrome thumb nut screws (replacing the stock black ones)
Updated cast control knob
Five point star drag (looked better than the four point after completion)
Bearing in place of bushing in left (palming) side plate
Smoooooth Drag system (silicone with slight clicking feature when drag is loose)
CDL gold accent locking plate/screw for handle
Abu custom handle (chrome with opal/pearl knobs and chrome locking nut)
NOS Abu shallower spool (no brakes blocks needed as the spool has been balanced/shimmed according to Don)...but I may order a standard spool from him with brakes if I decide to fish it and not just display it.

Don was great to talk to and work with this reel. It's a stunning piece of work and something that I am almost afraid to fish. I have pictures of it but don't know how to post them correctly. I even talked to him today while he was at ICAST to let him know that I got the reel. A classic Ambassadeur for sure!
Last edited by Big-Bass on Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:26 am

Pics or it's not true :D

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:30 am

:D How do I post them? From my phone they are rather large and I know there are limits to what can be posted. Thanks!

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:39 pm

Big-Bass wrote::D How do I post them? From my phone they are rather large and I know there are limits to what can be posted. Thanks!
PM me and we can exchange emails. I'll post them up for you :big grin: :big grin: :big grin:

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:44 am

This isn’t Show "or" Tell…..just busting your balls! :lol:

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:13 am

I know big-bass, it's a pain.
I really wish tackle tour would just automatically resize pics, it is 2016 after all. :lol:
I wonder how many pics/threads we miss out on because of this. I know I rarely post pics because of it.

Thanks igl00x for offering to help, looking forward to seeing this reel.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:23 am

spookybaits wrote:I know big-bass, it's a pain.
I really wish tackle tour would just automatically resize pics, it is 2016 after all. :lol:
I wonder how many pics/threads we miss out on because of this. I know I rarely post pics because of it.

Thanks igl00x for offering to help, looking forward to seeing this reel.
X2!!! Absolutely agree, that's why I don't even bother posting pics. Tells you a little something about the site.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:26 am

I too would be willing to post pics of any "show and tell" pieces anyone has that has been holding out on us. It has taken me some time to figure out how to do it but once I have the photos I can upload 4 or 5 photos in about 10 minutes or less. \:D/ Just shoot me a PM containing your email address and I will provide you mine and we will get them posted.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:26 pm

Pictures of the reel are here!

http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishin ... omLogout=1

Hope you enjoy! Thanks!