SV Series 103 vs J-Dream

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Cyacnba
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

SV Series 103 vs J-Dream

Post by Cyacnba » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:44 pm

Hi,

I'm thinking about purchasing either the new Daiwa SV103 or the J-Dream in the 6.3 gear ratio. What are your experiences with these two reels? I would use it as an all around reel to cast weights from 1/8 - 1/2oz while using braid.

Thanks.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: SV Series 103 vs J-Dream

Post by adam lancia » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:29 pm

1/8oz total lure weight? If so, then go with the SV103. The J-Dream does 1/4oz pretty well with the right rod but I found 1/8oz to be out of it's comfortable range.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:37 pm

If your prominent lure weight revolves around 1/8-3/8, but wanting an all-around reel, I’d probably opt with the SV103, only because to spool is “forgiving”.

Although capable with lighter lures, I find the J to perform better with 1/2 and above weights.

This is kinda of a hard one, the SV103 opens a wide variety of spool options, not to mention the obvious SV, but the J-Dream has that “it” factor from the get go.
If faced with your dilemma, I’d be purchasing an SV103, but only because I already own a J.
And since you don't own either, get both! :big grin:

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:10 pm

I guess it comes down to if you want new vs second hand as the price will be the same. The SV103 is a solid reel and would be my second choice after the Jdream as the Jdream is a little lighter and has a greater number of bearings. Although, the drag on the Jdream is 11lb compared to 13lb on the SV series.

Two quality reels there in the greater than 215g / 7.5oz range.
Last edited by Jdmbassman on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cyacnba
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cyacnba » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:03 am

Thanks for the input!

The lightest lure I use is a Cabin Creek jig, which weights 1/8oz, but I'm not sure how much it weights with the soft plastic.

Just wondering, what do you guys mean by the "it" factor? Is it in terms of smoothness?

Honestly, I love how the J Dream looks like, but I do realize it's hard to find one in mint condition at a reasonable price. The SV103 looks decent too though.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:48 am

Cyacnba wrote:Thanks for the input!

The lightest lure I use is a Cabin Creek jig, which weights 1/8oz, but I'm not sure how much it weights with the soft plastic.

Just wondering, what do you guys mean by the "it" factor? Is it in terms of smoothness?

Honestly, I love how the J Dream looks like, but I do realize it's hard to find one in mint condition at a reasonable price. The SV103 looks decent too though.
The "it factor" has little to do with performance and plenty to do with the "cool factor"
If I used zillions I would love a J-dream but would probably be happier with the SV version 8-)

Cyacnba
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cyacnba » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:34 am

I ended up getting both SV103 and J-Dream 7.9 lol.

Now, I'm trying to switch the knobs to the RCS cork knobs, but I've never customized any of my reels before. I always left the stock parts, so I have no clue on this topic.
So, how do I change the knobs? Do I need to buy a new handle or just 2 knobs for each reel? Also, I read something about adding bearings to the knob, but I'm not sure what this means exactly. If there's any video, that would help a lot. If someone could tell me what I need to buy and from where, that would also be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:17 am

Cyacnba wrote:I ended up getting both SV103 and J-Dream 7.9 lol.

Now, I'm trying to switch the knobs to the RCS cork knobs, but I've never customized any of my reels before. I always left the stock parts, so I have no clue on this topic.
So, how do I change the knobs? Do I need to buy a new handle or just 2 knobs for each reel? Also, I read something about adding bearings to the knob, but I'm not sure what this means exactly. If there's any video, that would help a lot. If someone could tell me what I need to buy and from where, that would also be really appreciated.

Thanks.
Buy two knobs for each reel, stock handles will work. The knobs come with a knob cap puller. Pull the knob cap, use a flat head to un-screw the post screw and remove the knob. Both reels should already have 2 bearings per knob. Remove the bearings from the old knob (A small flat head makes this easy), put them in the new knob and screw it down. If it has some back and forth play on the post the knobs come with some shims. Remove the knob, place a shim on the handle post, then re-attach until there is no play.

Cyacnba
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cyacnba » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:35 am

Teal101 wrote: Buy two knobs for each reel, stock handles will work. The knobs come with a knob cap puller. Pull the knob cap, use a flat head to un-screw the post screw and remove the knob. Both reels should already have 2 bearings per knob. Remove the bearings from the old knob (A small flat head makes this easy), put them in the new knob and screw it down. If it has some back and forth play on the post the knobs come with some shims. Remove the knob, place a shim on the handle post, then re-attach until there is no play.
Thanks a lot, really appreciate it.

Is this the right knob? Does it come as a set of 2 or just 1, meaning would I have to order 4 for both my SV103 and JD?
http://japantackle.com/tuning-parts/han ... 00425.html

If there's another place I could order these knobs for a better deal, please let me know as well.

Thanks.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:18 am

Cyacnba wrote:
Teal101 wrote: Buy two knobs for each reel, stock handles will work. The knobs come with a knob cap puller. Pull the knob cap, use a flat head to un-screw the post screw and remove the knob. Both reels should already have 2 bearings per knob. Remove the bearings from the old knob (A small flat head makes this easy), put them in the new knob and screw it down. If it has some back and forth play on the post the knobs come with some shims. Remove the knob, place a shim on the handle post, then re-attach until there is no play.
Thanks a lot, really appreciate it.

Is this the right knob? Does it come as a set of 2 or just 1, meaning would I have to order 4 for both my SV103 and JD?
http://japantackle.com/tuning-parts/han ... 00425.html

If there's another place I could order these knobs for a better deal, please let me know as well.

Thanks.
Thats per knob. That is a pretty good price, looks like Jun is starting to get competitive in pricing again.

Cyacnba
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cyacnba » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:03 pm

Thanks, but wow... maybe it was a mistake to post the link here lol. Only 1 available now...

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:00 pm

Check out hedgehog studios,they have some nice tutorials regarding tuning of a reel /adding knobs/bearings
They also sell the parts you need 8-)

Cyacnba
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cyacnba » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:38 pm

africanbass wrote:Check out hedgehog studios,they have some nice tutorials regarding tuning of a reel /adding knobs/bearings
They also sell the parts you need 8-)
Thanks!
I sent an email to Jun, and he restocked the knobs again. Really fast reply btw.

dirtygeary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dirtygeary » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:29 pm

Either