Braid for Senkos?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Draethe84
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Braid for Senkos?

Post by Draethe84 » Tue May 17, 2016 11:16 am

Hey guys, I am looking into some 10lb-12lb braid for senkos... Preferably one that doesn't bleed everywhere like red Power Pro that looks like you killed someone with your brand new Daiwa T3. Thanks in advance,

Ronan

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Braid for Senkos?

Post by Randingo » Tue May 17, 2016 11:46 am

Every colored braid I've ever used has bled to some extent. If you hate it--and even if you don't--you might consider a white braid and just color the last few feet. It's great to be able to see your line easily, and if you fish with a long-ish leader, you don't have to worry about coloring it at all. If you read reviews and people's comments, you'll notice that every line has those who say it bleeds like a sliced artery and those who say it doesn't. The truth is there's no way to make colors adhere to the fibers of a superline, so they all bleed. So take your pick: a wide selection of lines that bleed, or a handful that come in white.

Draethe84
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Draethe84 » Tue May 17, 2016 12:43 pm

So say something like nanofil or spiderwire ultracast invibraid or sufix 832 would be suffice on my Daiwa T3, oooh u forgot to mention translucent gliss.

Draethe84
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Draethe84 » Tue May 17, 2016 6:10 pm

I just got an unrefusable offer, get some Toray PE 1 (16lb) Sea Bass Piwer game white braid for half price...

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Wed May 18, 2016 2:28 am

Draethe84 wrote:I just got an unrefusable offer, get some Toray PE 1 (16lb) Sea Bass Piwer game white braid for half price...
That does sound like a great deal. Let us know how it works out.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Wed May 18, 2016 6:41 am

you want flouro for senkos if you are wacky rigging. trust me.

Draethe84
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Draethe84 » Thu May 19, 2016 6:42 am

BucketHunter wrote:you want flouro for senkos if you are wacky rigging. trust me.
I will use a long length of fluorocarbon leader, i just prefer braids for most applications

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Thu May 19, 2016 10:45 am

Braid has next to no slack line sensitivity. I can almost assure you that you are missing fish if you go weightless wacky on braid. I guess it all depends of how deep you fish them and how far you are casting, but if you are targeting spooky fish with long casts in anything over 4ft you won't really feel bites until the fish chokes it and swims away. And that's if they decide not to spit it first. Just a thought.
Tight lines!

dirtygeary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dirtygeary » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:45 pm

BucketHunter wrote:Braid has next to no slack line sensitivity. I can almost assure you that you are missing fish if you go weightless wacky on braid. I guess it all depends of how deep you fish them and how far you are casting, but if you are targeting spooky fish with long casts in anything over 4ft you won't really feel bites until the fish chokes it and swims away. And that's if they decide not to spit it first. Just a thought.
Tight lines!
Agree, go Floro

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:47 am

dirtygeary wrote:
BucketHunter wrote:Braid has next to no slack line sensitivity. I can almost assure you that you are missing fish if you go weightless wacky on braid. I guess it all depends of how deep you fish them and how far you are casting, but if you are targeting spooky fish with long casts in anything over 4ft you won't really feel bites until the fish chokes it and swims away. And that's if they decide not to spit it first. Just a thought.
Tight lines!
Agree, go Floro
x2. Fluoro is the way to go for weightless, esp wacky rigged.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:01 pm

Braid all day every day until the end of days. I like suffix 832.

JTinKC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JTinKC » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:11 pm

Wow. Glad to see there's a concensus here......

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:20 am

Nanofil is on my main senko set-up. If trowing in heavier cover braid will be the second choice.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:22 pm

Sometimes you have to make line compromises when fishing heavy grass. I've caught quite a few Senko fish on braid, but it's not usually my first choice except for fishing the ultralight 5" Slim Senko. You need light braid to be able cast the light bait out far enough to super-weary fish. I fish fluoro whenever I can.
The good thing about braid is it is usually a pleasant surprise when a fish that bit on a slack line is suddenly there :D . It's like fishing in the dark.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:47 am

I wonder if using an upsized circle hook would be advantageous if you must use braid, as mentioned, in heavy cover. (Although, there isn't much soft cover I wouldn't be comfortable throwing 15lb flouro with a good doubled over uni connection).
This would allow you to softly pick up the slack when the spidey senses tingle, (and you're gonna need em, because if that fish doesn't swim away from you there is very little strike sensation) and then quickly crank the circle hook into position to load the rod. That would keep you from gut hooking so many fish, which aside from sensitivity, is another big reason guys fish flouro for the application.
Keep in mind, I'll likely never see a bass over 7lbs up here, so that factors into line selection.