Field & Stream Kayaks

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Field & Stream Kayaks

Post by Big-Bass » Fri May 29, 2015 12:20 am

I am in need of a kayak to take out fishing on the Upper Delaware River (East Branch, West Branch, and Main Stem) and other rivers but want to keep the price point reasonable. I need a 12' model based on my dimensions but should I get a sit-in or sit-on? I was looking at both models from Field & Stream at Dick's Sporting Goods and wanted to get any input on them if you have it. Again, this is something I will be doing a few times per year since I mostly fish from a boat. I looked at a few other models from Old Town/Emotion/etc. that are out of my price range or just too short and probably would not track well. Thanks for any/all help.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Field & Stream Kayaks

Post by JerryC » Fri May 29, 2015 12:22 am

Get the longest sit on top kayak you can. I used to fish the big D often with my hobie, its been some time but you want something stable to stand on if needed.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sat May 30, 2015 8:18 am

Also thinking about an Old Town Vapor Anger 12 or Perception Pescador 12 Angler.

landscraper
Angler
Angler

Post by landscraper » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:41 am

I am pretty happy with my field and stream kayak. One of the biggest complaints I've heard is about the seat hurting peoples backs. The seat looks kind of cheap but it doesn't hurt mine. The other thing is the rod holder is mounted too far forward and is hard to reach. I moved it back and mounted a fish finder where the rod holder was. I tried to stand on mine one time and it didn't go well. Luckily I was only in 3 feet of water. Over all I think is a pretty good value for the money. I am thinking of upgrading now only because I think would be easier to pedal than paddle when fishing.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:00 am

landscraper wrote:I am pretty happy with my field and stream kayak. One of the biggest complaints I've heard is about the seat hurting peoples backs. The seat looks kind of cheap but it doesn't hurt mine. The other thing is the rod holder is mounted too far forward and is hard to reach. I moved it back and mounted a fish finder where the rod holder was. I tried to stand on mine one time and it didn't go well. Luckily I was only in 3 feet of water. Over all I think is a pretty good value for the money. I am thinking of upgrading now only because I think would be easier to pedal than paddle when fishing.
The difference of a hobie vs. a paddle kayak is huge. More time fishing and less time trying to paddle...

Creekwater
Angler
Angler

Post by Creekwater » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:44 am

Ive been fishing out of my ws 120 for over 10 years. I bought it used before all the "angler" kayaks were out. Its a tank! handles r still there along with paddle keepers and its 15 to 20lbs lighter than most 12 footers available now! Seat sucks but even cheapo new angling yaks have better seats now!

Dont know much about the Delaware river but yak selection depends on depth and bottom composition and amount of current your dealing with among other things. Hobies r awesome but for chasing smallmouth in the rivers i fish the mirage drive wouldn't help much...even larger rivers your going to either limit where you will be or use a paddle any way...they dont paddle so well either, besides prob more than your willing to spend!

wilderness systems yaks r awesome but again price might be more than you want to spend. I have a friend who has a field and stream. Second season in use the hull cracked at the seat! researching how to fix a cracked hull we found a prevention for his problem. Stick sum Styrofoam under the seating area inside the hull to prevent it from flexing! a lil late but helping him keep his fix in place a year later!

The only other budget yak i have exp with is a ascend. Another buddy of mine has that one. Its heavy! But even the same brand/model tarpon as mine is 15 pounds heavier!

A few years back on our annul new river trip the water was high. One of the spots we fish is a mile or so up river from camp. High fast water and the ascend was right there with the tarpon on the upstream trek!

Don't discount a 10 footer, More maneuverable and cockpit size and layout has more to do with fit for a large guy than overall length of boat! 12 foot is a good all round size though if you wanted to camp or hit sum bigger water though!

Hope you get a yak and rip sum lips!

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Wed May 18, 2016 11:32 pm

I am still looking into a kayak but am still up in the air. I want something comfortable for long floats on the Delaware but want to be budget minded. I think I would like a sit-on for the most part, but wonder if I need (since I am over 6') a 12' or can I get away for a 10" or so. How are the Ascend kayaks (who makes them) versus the Field and Stream models or even L.L. Bean? Thanks for all your help!

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:37 pm

I finally decided on a kayak and chose an L.L. Bean Manatee 12 DLX since it is a re-badged Perception Prodigy 12. I have been in the Perception and the seat is the most comfortable I have ever used and the kayak tracks wonderfully. I could not pass up the deal at L.L. Bean since the kayak (ordered in Marsh Shadow color) came with an $89 kayak paddle, Scotty rod holder, anchor, Harmony cockpit cover and was 10% off the whole order. I got it shipped for really great price and it should be arriving in 1-2 weeks. I am really excited and the folks at L.L. Bean told me that if anything ever happens to the kayak in the life of the product, I can always exchange it for a brand new one. My assumption is that Perception is using the exact kayak as their Prodigy just changing the color schemes for L.L. Bean. Hopefully it's a really nice kayak!

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:13 am

How are the Old Town Predator MX kayaks for fishing the Delaware? Thank you!

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:14 pm

Hey bro, I have a 2016 Predator MX as my designated river yak, and that is what it is ideal for. It's hull design makes it excel in moving water where one might need to dodge obstacles, as you can turn it very easily, and very quickly...the hull is actually near identical to that of the Jackson Coosa. The MX is an ideal river boat, the only thing I don't like is the 375 pound weight limit, as I and gear am awful close, and I prefer to draft a bit higher if possible...my only gripe. But, for anyone below the 300 pound mark, you'd be hard pressed to find a better river boat regardless of price.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:19 pm

Believe it or not, I have a Predator MX being delivered to my house today. Got it in Urban Camo for $799 on closeout and I couldn't pass it up. That's great to hear that it is an excellent river boat! Thanks!

UPDATE: The kayak that arrived had some damage (so I didn't accept the order and called for an exchange) and another is set to arrive soon. Hopefully it would work out for my fishing and boating needs. From what I saw of the boat, it seems really, really nice. Thanks and best wishes on the water!

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:39 pm

That's an awesome deal on the boat, gotta ask where you bought it? I imagine that didn't include freight tho?