Lightest Rod possible

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Okiekev
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Lightest Rod possible

Post by Okiekev » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:12 am

I am going to build a new casting rod and I want to see just how light I can get. I am planning to use it for light bottom contact baits particularly shakey heads. I am planning on the Phenix K2 683 or 684 blank, which are both between 1.2 and 1.3 ounces. I am planning on TiSic micros probably in 5s and 4s. Simple EVA split grip turned down a bit with minimal trim and likely an SK2 seat.

Any conflicting ideas? Where else can I shave some weight?

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Lightest Rod possible

Post by Mattman » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:46 am

Torzites

1-part urethane finish like Permagloss.

MikeK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MikeK » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:56 am

Ream the EVA to a close fit before gluing.

cuke
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cuke » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:23 am

Definitely cut down the threads the same size as the hood to save some weight

cuke
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cuke » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:28 am

And make the wraps as short as possible. Don't know if you can keep it under 2 oz with that sk or not but you have a good chance. Good luck

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:42 pm

I simply LOVE my K-2's!!!!

cuke
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cuke » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:29 pm

Definitely my favorite blanks also

jim spooner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jim spooner » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:22 am

All of the above, plus…
I remove all the finish from my blanks. In some cases, I’ve removed up to .19 oz. Keep in mind, it may void warranty. I’d also use smaller guides (3.5s). I’ve found that EVA is usually heavier than cork. A sculpted skeletonized split reel seat is lighter than the SK2. I use the trigger portion of a Castaway reel seat (Fuji ECSM also works) with a shortened Fuji threaded barrel w/ std hood and lock nut. I save a little over 1/8 oz. compared to the SK2 assembly.

Of course weight savings toward the rod butt doesn’t enhance performance as much as weight saved toward the tip, but overall rod weight savings will increase efficiency (stiffness or power/weight) and sensitivity.

To take full advantage of your efforts, you’ll need to pair it with a light-weight reel. All of my rods weigh well less than 3 oz. and I use Aldebaran reels (4.7 oz.) for all my bass fishing.

Forgot to mention…..the lightest butt cap I’ve found is the Batson EVABC20. I shorten it and sand down the outside contour to save further weight.

cuke
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cuke » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:43 am

I agree, I also love my aldebaran 51

Okiekev
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Okiekev » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:33 am

jim spooner wrote:All of the above, plus…
I remove all the finish from my blanks. In some cases, I’ve removed up to .19 oz. Keep in mind, it may void warranty. I’d also use smaller guides (3.5s). I’ve found that EVA is usually heavier than cork. A sculpted skeletonized split reel seat is lighter than the SK2. I use the trigger portion of a Castaway reel seat (Fuji ECSM also works) with a shortened Fuji threaded barrel w/ std hood and lock nut. I save a little over 1/8 oz. compared to the SK2 assembly.

Of course weight savings toward the rod butt doesn’t enhance performance as much as weight saved toward the tip, but overall rod weight savings will increase efficiency (stiffness or power/weight) and sensitivity.

To take full advantage of your efforts, you’ll need to pair it with a light-weight reel. All of my rods weigh well less than 3 oz. and I use Aldebaran reels (4.7 oz.) for all my bass fishing.

Forgot to mention…..the lightest butt cap I’ve found is the Batson EVABC20. I shorten it and sand down the outside contour to save further weight.
Great advice everyone! Thank you!

I am intrigued by the recommendations on the reel seats, I will have to do some tinkering!

cuke
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cuke » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:38 am

Building a k2 763 now will let you know weight when done

cuke
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cuke » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:14 am

My k2 ended up at 2.1 ounces

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:35 am

cuke wrote:My k2 ended up at 2.1 ounces
That's light. How do you like the balance and what were the components?

cuke
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cuke » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:30 am

Balance is good an inch and a half from the front of the hood with an aldebaran 51. I try to keep it simple and used fuji torzites spiral wrapped, 8 pieces of cork and a ground down fuji ecsm and hood.

Handler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Handler » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:26 am

Cuke, you mind posting some pics? 2.1oz is really impressive. Few can say the have a rod light that.