My (soon to be) new ride ...

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

My (soon to be) new ride ...

Post by uljersey » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:42 am

I've all but decided on this as my next ride. I'm currently in a 2010 Perception Angler 12' 6" and it's been a great run. I'm ready to move up to a stadium seat and have been looking at a few different models. This fits my needs well - it's light at 64 lbs (I car top it) and it's wide for stability. Perception makes a nice ride, I have no complaints other than my current one has a low seat. Getting swamped means sitting in water all day - not a big deal in July, kind of a bummer in November. Not that it matters to me, but it's getting very positive buzz.

The 2016 Pescador Pro 12. I'm stuck on this Red Tiger Camo color scheme ...

Drewgill
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: My (soon to be) new ride ...

Post by Drewgill » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:20 am

That should be a solid boat. A stadium-style seat is a must-have for me nowadays.

What kind of warranty do the Perceptions carry?

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:51 am

Drewgill wrote:That should be a solid boat. A stadium-style seat is a must-have for me nowadays.

What kind of warranty do the Perceptions carry?
Basically 3 years on the hull and 1 year on the accessories/rigging. Here's a link to the full warranty explanation page from their site - http://www.perceptionkayaks.com/us/warranty

Their yaks are American made also.

I went ahead and placed the order today. The Red Tiger Camo is on back order, estimated to be in around the 5th of April.

fati
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fati » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:28 am

I might pick up the catch 120 from pellican, seems nice also.

I believe a kayak should last more than 3 years, what is the average lifespan of a fishing kayak ? 10-15 years ?

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:18 am

3 years for a kayak warranty seems fair enough. After all, it is basically a single unit of molded plastic. I would think any major material/structural defects would show themselves well before that.

My current Perception will be 6 years old and is perfectly fine in spite of a major injury incurred during it's first season. A gust of wind had blown it down off of my vehicle's rooftop J carriers and crashed it into the asphalt. It sustained a pretty severe crack topside. I bought some polypropylene plastic in 1/8" diameter rope form and took a crash course in kayak repair via the internet. She has a pretty neat scar to show for it but is as structurally sound as the day I bought it.

That was my first kayak and the one I did all of my learning on. I've drilled countless holes in it rigging different things, filled them in when I changed my mind and prototyped a bunch of ideas on it. It's been one long experiment/learning experience. I'll hold on to it, let my daughters use it, lend it out, whatever. I have no reason to get rid of it.

Here's a very recent article comparing the Perception to the Catch 120 - http://kayakfishingblog.com/2016/03/val ... catch-120/