Steez 103HL getting rid of Hot Sauce and using something new

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Steez 103HL getting rid of Hot Sauce and using something new

Post by GAMEOVER » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:06 am

When I received my Steez 103HL I completely disassembled it, removed factory grease and oil with Napatha then used Quantum Hot Sauce grease and oil on everything in its place. Now i'm wanting to get rid of the Hot Sauce and go back to the red Daiwa oil for bearings and my own choice of grease. All I have for cleaners right now is some firearm bore solevent I use on my firearms. Would this remove the Hot Sauce oil from the bearings? I don't want to do a full break-down of the reel just use the Daiwa red oil that comes with there reels on the spool bearings for now because I personally think its the best. So what do you all think?

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Steez 103HL getting rid of Hot Sauce and using something

Post by lpquick » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:03 am

Diluted Simply Green 50/50 should do the trick, if needed you can go full strength for any stubborn grease. An Ultra sonic would help also.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:54 pm

Isn't the Hot Sauce supposed to bond to the bearings "molecularly"? Wouldn't that mean you couldn't get all of it off?

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:04 pm

mark poulson wrote:Isn't the Hot Sauce supposed to bond to the bearings "molecularly"? Wouldn't that mean you couldn't get all of it off?
Thats what I was afraid of but a gunsmith told me that's BS that an oil or grease would do that.

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:28 am

GAMEOVER wrote: Would this remove the Hot Sauce oil from the bearings? So what do you all think?
I use a sonic cleaner with a baby food jar full of whatever solvent is readily available at the time when I service my reels. Usually a bit of brake clean, spraying the bearings out with break clean does a great job for me as well. Using the sonic cleaner reduced fumes and expense for the task. The bearings are squeaky clean for me with this method and I'd bet you'll have the same results. I havn't experienced bearing issues for several years and think the method works great.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:00 pm

mark poulson wrote:Isn't the Hot Sauce supposed to bond to the bearings "molecularly"? Wouldn't that mean you couldn't get all of it off?
I have long suspected that this is just advertising BS :^o . If their products were so radically better than any other then I'm sure they would also probably be way more expensive as well. I just know that it stains anything it touches. :evil:

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:49 pm

Gave up on Hot Sauce as well, went to TS 321.