*Suggestions for "enthusiast" finesse/drop shot rod in 2016*

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: *Suggestions for "enthusiast" finesse/drop shot rod in 2

Post by Pen3 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:27 pm

Tokugawa wrote: The "Designo" solid tip blank is used by a few different companies in Japan...Imakatsu (Rodeo Ride), Designo, Evergreen.
I have three Kaleido rods with Designo solid tips and one of them is the M-1 spinning. It is my favorite spin rod, but a light power and not what he is looking for. I have foul hooked into a few carps in the 15-20 lb and still able to fight him in, but takes a while since i am also using .0065 flouro line.

I miss the green outdoors :cry:

Mothercanucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mothercanucker » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:32 pm

Gorgeous combo. I know next to nothing about those rods but man that reel is sexy. That handle <3 You said it was a light, what length is it?

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:08 am

Mothercanucker wrote:Gorgeous combo. I know next to nothing about those rods but man that reel is sexy. That handle <3 You said it was a light, what length is it?
Not a noodle like most light powered trout rods by any means, still has the bass backbone. JDM spinning rods ratings are weird, just look at Jackall UL rods and how strong they are.
TKDS-63L
Lure: 1/64 - 1/8
Line 2 - 6lb

leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leggomye990 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:01 pm

Which rod did you end up getting??

Funny because I'm in the same boat as you ahah wanting a enthusiast drop shot rod, but just seeing whats out there besides the highly praised nrx.... which I am 90% going for unless theres something else in the MB line up

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:45 am

bronzefly wrote:
legendaryyaj wrote:I'm assuming the stinger tip is more of a vertical presentation rod?

It's been covered that some guys cast and drag/shake while some guys vertical drop on to fish. Different ways of fishing would call for different rods that would excel at either technique I would assume.

I picked up the XX DS rod and it's not noodly at all as mentioned before. I throw pretty much 3/8oz weights on it and no problems.

Here's a video of a trip for some smallies I did this past spring. Biggest fish was at the 1:36 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKmM9xkM2qo
I like the Phase III Aaron Martens a lot for dragging a DS, but the F4 of the 2015 Hedgehog Evoluzion helps tremendously when not fishing vertically for me. It does certainly feel incredible for vertical fishing, but it's certainly not a rod that I put down if I need to drag. The XX DS is a really comfortable, well designed, very effective DS rod indeed.

I'm thinking about the 2015 hedgehog evolution as a dropshot rod but in the majority of my drop shotting situations I am using a 3/8oz weight and drifting a bit in current...do you think this rod can handle the 3/8oz weight and still have the ability to get a decent hook penetration with a bit of line angle (due to drifting)?

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:44 am

If you are using 3/8oz, I would go with the Megabass X7 Bearingdown Type X. The Stinger is very sensitive and can handle 3/8oz. the beauty of this rod is that it has a med/heavy backbone with a med/light tip.
Last edited by Jdmbassman on Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:59 am

Just picked up the new Hedgehog Evoluzion...will be used for shallow drop shot and for weights 1/8 - 3/8. For dragging drop shot i have the NRX852S that works wonders. The HH replaces the AGS 7'0 ML, still have the XX that i love too.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:13 pm

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:01 pm

cndbasshunter wrote:Just picked up the new Hedgehog Evoluzion...will be used for shallow drop shot and for weights 1/8 - 3/8. For dragging drop shot i have the NRX852S that works wonders. The HH replaces the AGS 7'0 ML, still have the XX that i love too.
Sick rod! I have been drooling over that one for a while now, and I have been toying with the idea of the NRX 852S for the deeper water/current situations. Looks like I will have to get both! :mrgreen:

I have the NRX 872S which i would like to keep as my dedicated tube rod...might try some drop shot dragging with that one too and see how it does.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:59 am

Jdmbassman wrote:If you are using 3/8oz, I would go with the Megabass X7 Bearingdown Type X. The Stinger is very sensitive and can handle 3/8oz. the beauty of this rod is that it has a med/heavy backbone with a med/light tip.
Yeah...1/4 oz and 3/8 oz weights are definitely baitcaster territory for me.

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:39 pm

Reviving this thread...

Having spent a few days on the water with the Evoluzion Hedgehog, I am happy to report that it is every bit as good as advertised. Very soft tip, fits nicely in hand (I hold my spinning reel with the stem between my ring and pinky fingers or ring and middle fingers), is uber sensitive and has good shoulders. Aside from the tip, the taper / power profile reminds me quite a bit of the Orochi XX Drop Shot (but is much more sensitive). It is less powerful and more parabolic than the Phase 3 Amart Special.

My only complaint would be for bigger guides as the "braid to FC" knob gets stuck in the top guides. Otherwise it is fantastic and can cast fine for 20-30 feet (I usually don't bomb cast my drop shots). Especially awesome for vertical fishing and slow drifts.

I landed this nice 3.5# on it and it was a pretty awesome fight. I have it paired with a Stella 2500 HGS, 10# Power Pro Super Slick 8 in bright yellow, and a 7# Sunline Finesse FC leader. Tackle was a Size 1/0 Gamakatsu swivel drop shot hook, 5" KVD Dream Shot in KVD Magic color and a 1/8 oz Strike King tear drop tungsten weight. The drop shot bite hasn't really heated up yet, but I couldn't help but try this rod out!

I realize that I should have taken a picture of the combo, but it looks like the one above from cdnbasshunter, minus the gold reel stand :D

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:30 am

I have converted all my spinning gear to straight flouro. I got sick and tired of leaders and it feels so much better with just flouro. I don't have to worry about slack line detection anymore and it's not like you need to set the hook on dropshot and neko rigging. Use the correct wire gauge to line and all you really need is a sweep or just tighten the slack and lean back.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:13 am

saoulons wrote:Reviving this thread...

Having spent a few days on the water with the Evoluzion Hedgehog, I am happy to report that it is every bit as good as advertised. Very soft tip, fits nicely in hand (I hold my spinning reel with the stem between my ring and pinky fingers or ring and middle fingers), is uber sensitive and has good shoulders. Aside from the tip, the taper / power profile reminds me quite a bit of the Orochi XX Drop Shot (but is much more sensitive). It is less powerful and more parabolic than the Phase 3 Amart Special.

My only complaint would be for bigger guides as the "braid to FC" knob gets stuck in the top guides. Otherwise it is fantastic and can cast fine for 20-30 feet (I usually don't bomb cast my drop shots). Especially awesome for vertical fishing and slow drifts.

I landed this nice 3.5# on it and it was a pretty awesome fight. I have it paired with a Stella 2500 HGS, 10# Power Pro Super Slick 8 in bright yellow, and a 7# Sunline Finesse FC leader. Tackle was a Size 1/0 Gamakatsu swivel drop shot hook, 5" KVD Dream Shot in KVD Magic color and a 1/8 oz Strike King tear drop tungsten weight. The drop shot bite hasn't really heated up yet, but I couldn't help but try this rod out!

I realize that I should have taken a picture of the combo, but it looks like the one above from cdnbasshunter, minus the gold reel stand :D
Ya man, it is an amazing rod for sure. I have used mine also with a stella 2500 HGS and i can honestly say its by far the best drop shot rod i have ever used. As for the guide size and using braid to fluoro, check out the "FG knot". Its the thinnest braid to fluro connection knot and i have had zero issues with it running thru the guides. I am using 10lb sufix 832 with an 8lb seaguar tatsu fluoro leader and it is amazing.

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:15 pm

Pen3 wrote:I have converted all my spinning gear to straight flouro. I got sick and tired of leaders and it feels so much better with just flouro. I don't have to worry about slack line detection anymore and it's not like you need to set the hook on dropshot and neko rigging. Use the correct wire gauge to line and all you really need is a sweep or just tighten the slack and lean back.
I must say that it has crossed my mind quite a few times... But I think I'm too used to the feel of braid. Good to hear that you've been able to go back and ditch the leaders. I seem to always get line twist and crazy tangles with fluoro on spinning gear (why I originally switched to the swivel drop shot hooks).
jpmoney wrote: Ya man, it is an amazing rod for sure. I have used mine also with a stella 2500 HGS and i can honestly say its by far the best drop shot rod i have ever used. As for the guide size and using braid to fluoro, check out the "FG knot". Its the thinnest braid to fluro connection knot and i have had zero issues with it running thru the guides. I am using 10lb sufix 832 with an 8lb seaguar tatsu fluoro leader and it is amazing.
Yikes, just looked up the FG knot; that knot is beautiful and low profile but looks like it would take me 20 minutes to tie it (I'm pretty clumsy). Been sticking to double uni knots because I can tie them fast (but they are not low profile). Aaron Martens also recommends the Albright knot, which is pretty straightforward but I always screw it up and get line breaks at the leader knot.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:31 pm

The FG knot does take a bit of practice to master, and it does take a little longer than the double-uni to tie but it's worth it. Once you practice enough you will get better and will never go back - this knot is also stronger than the double uni from my personal experience.