Best US for bearing clean

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Best US for bearing clean

Post by lifeofRiley » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:06 pm

I was just looking for a quick recommendation on an ultra sonic cleaner. Have done the research and am going to get one for bearings only and wash the rest of the reel parts by hand. I went to Wal mart yesterday to buy one, but the only model they had received terrible reviews online. Thanks for your input. I plan on using acetone in glass jars for a cleaning solution.

BigJim
Angler
Angler

Re: Best US for bearing clean

Post by BigJim » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:05 am

I have the larger Harbor Freight model and it's been doing the job for a few years now. I use Simple Green for most parts and lacquer thinner in a baby food jar for bearings.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:23 am

I've been using a SPT UC-0609 Ultrasonic Cleaner, I picked up on amazon for $35. It works great for bearings and small parts. It has lasted 3 seasons without issue. 50/50 Simple green for 30 minutes of cleaning followed by 30 minutes of rinse. Cheaper US units won't heat the solution and will offer less options with the timers. I'll be looking to trade up probably in another year or 2 to something nicer. But for a starter unit ones like mine or the harbor freight units are a good place to start.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:42 pm

dp
Last edited by ScoobyDoo on Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:44 pm

I stopped using those things.

I use a waterpik dental irrigator.

Servied a Stella 10k SW A sustain 8k and a Torsa in 2 hours...and the egg beaters were surf prepped and greasy.

Blows out grease without even having to dismantle everything.

Bearings are a breeze. Leave them on the spools......blow them out in under 10 seconds.

Shielded bearings that are greased may be blown clean without removing the sheilds.

The only chemical i use i denatured alcohol. I've become hyper sensitive to harsher chemicals like b12 chemtool.....carb and brake cleaner and some other solvents or degreasers. I still have a gallon of simple green that i don't even use any longer.

Just dish soap and when clean use fresh water and toss them in a denatured alcohol bath.

As the bearing gets cleaner...it starts spinning...that aids in the cleaning of the bearing.

I mounted my go pro above my sink and shot some video of a speed run on the stella. And a full soup to nuts on a Sustain. Makes everything simpler

Doesn't matter the type of bearing......the Waterpic is the best solution.

US cleaners are too slow and don't work well with grease. Powe wash them SOB's

I haven't worked on as many reels as those that do it for a living. BUT i do have people ship me their gear to service from accross the country. Probably service around 50 to 75 reels / year between mine and friends.

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:50 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:I stopped using those things.

I use a waterpik dental irrigator.

Servied a Stella 10k SW A sustain 8k and a Torsa in 2 hours...and the egg beaters were surf prepped and greasy.

Blows out grease without even having to dismantle everything.

Bearings are a breeze. Leave them on the spools......blow them out in under 10 seconds.

Shielded bearings that are greased may be blown clean without removing the sheilds.

The only chemical i use i denatured alcohol. I've become hyper sensitive to harsher chemicals like b12 chemtool.....carb and brake cleaner and some other solvents or degreasers. I still have a gallon of simple green that i don't even use any longer.

Just dish soap and when clean use fresh water and toss them in a denatured alcohol bath.

As the bearing gets cleaner...it starts spinning...that aids in the cleaning of the bearing.

Doesn't matter the type of bearing......the Waterpic is the best solution.

US cleaners are too slow and don't work well with grease. Powe wash them SOB's

I haven't worked on as many reels as those that do it for a living. BUT i do have people ship me their gear to service from accross the country. Probably service around 50 to 75 reels / year between mine and friends.
Maybe post a picture of this and or tell us what brand and model you have?

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:30 pm

MaxZmus wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:]

Maybe post a picture of this and or tell us what brand and model you have?

I'm in the middle of editing a video i shot with my go pro showing how effective it is.

I use the Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser. I doubt they designed it for continuous duty but i can run it for quite awhile with no issues yet. Been using it for a few years. Still going strong.

I don't know of many egg beaters tougher to service than a stella sw. being able to service the ar clutch without dismantling it is a godsend.

My one piece of advice.....know your reel before using it. Make sure to clear any small easily lost parts that aren't secure. Ie bushings and spacers/ springs that arent totally secured.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:40 pm

I'll bet the Waterpik works great on gear teeth! :big grin:

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:49 pm

Bronzeye wrote:I'll bet the Waterpik works great on gear teeth! :big grin:

I'll tell ya what......on big two speeds.....micro module gears on newer shimanos.....and the idlers for the worm gears in the techniums.....It works marvelously...like taking your reel to the dentist only without the copay :)

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:50 am

It has been many years since I surf fished. I had forgotten how much stuff gets into the reels.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:08 am

One of the biggest time sucks when dealing with servicing reels used in the surf. Is getting all the preventative grease out. If you care about your gear you prep them for surf use. That prep involves lots of grease to keep sand, salt deposits, and water away from important parts. Not just to keep mating surfaces lubed.

Sealed reels don't need the excess. It's the non sealed versions that do. An ounce of grease goes a long way in keeping non sealed reels performing like new for years.

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:22 am

Disassembling a Stella SW over a sink and running water pressure over the reel parts over the sink: Confidence Level - Pro

Looks like it works great for getting sands and tiny grits out of exposed screws.

But like you said, you better know your reel's inside before you start pressure washing since there are lots of shims and tiny parts in a Shimano. Now I know what to do with my old waterpix.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:29 am

Umax

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:58 pm

aquaholik wrote:Disassembling a Stella SW over a sink and running water pressure over the reel parts over the sink: Confidence Level - Pro

Looks like it works great for getting sands and tiny grits out of exposed screws.

But like you said, you better know your reel's inside before you start pressure washing since there are lots of shims and tiny parts in a Shimano. Now I know what to do with my old waterpix.
LOL.....that's how I roll!

Open up enough reels and they all look the same. :)

I serviced Dennysnook's twinpower and pa spinpowers......The amount of crud in those reels was insane. There was about half an ounce of florida left in my sink....lol