More Parabolic Punch Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bmlum
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: More Parabolic Punch Rod

Post by bmlum » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:54 pm

Kistler helium 3 711 MAD. Best punch rod ive used. super sensitive and parabolic. Only had one fish come off under a mat on that rod so far

Mothra
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mothra » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:45 am

Has anyone tried out the ALX powerbolt?

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:35 pm

Finnz922 wrote:
jiggerjake wrote:Google the I-ROD, Bub Tosh punching rod.Watch the youtube vid. I think its basically what your looking for.
x2 :mrgreen:
X3

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:12 am

bmlum wrote:Kistler helium 3 711 MAD. Best punch rod ive used. super sensitive and parabolic. Only had one fish come off under a mat on that rod so far
Do you think the MAD would be too heavy for pads mixed with milfoil? 2-3lb fish are typical.

Thanks
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

jbabin193
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jbabin193 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:31 pm

ccass wrote:
bmlum wrote:Kistler helium 3 711 MAD. Best punch rod ive used. super sensitive and parabolic. Only had one fish come off under a mat on that rod so far
Do you think the MAD would be too heavy for pads mixed with milfoil? 2-3lb fish are typical.

Thanks
I have the same rod 711MAD, and also just had Trey build a custom 7'4" on the same blank. It's not too heavy in my mind to do what you are looking for. In fact, I think Trey could introduce a MAD in XH. Plus this rod is incredibly light for it's size and power. Balance is darn good for an 8' rod.

The other advantage of the MAD is it can be used to throw a 10XD, A-Rig, Big Swimbaits, Big Spoons... it's versatile.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:51 pm

What happens to be on sale to him this site I believe :-$

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:52 pm

one, not sure how talk text did that :lol:

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:53 pm

I also hear really good things about Power Tackle rod, I'm too lazy to read the thread so that may have been mentioned already :big grin:

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:22 pm

I'm currently using a Megabass X7 Destruction. I haven't used it much but, I'm afraid it may not have the guts.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:02 pm

If it's anything like my ASL 7-Eleven it has guts!!! I throw two plus ounce Bates on mine and don't give it a second thought. Should do fairly well with cover but that is subjective and depending on area as well. I can't speak intelligently on punching as I don't do much of that here in my region.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:57 pm

From what I felt today, the new 2018 Megabass XX Aklys will be worthy of consideration. I'm looking forward to thick mats forming this summer so I can give it a proper working through :D
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:14 pm

bronzefly wrote:From what I felt today, the new 2018 Megabass XX Aklys will be worthy of consideration. I'm looking forward to thick mats forming this summer so I can give it a proper working through :D
I was looking at that rod today on The Tackle Trap site. Looks interesting.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:12 pm

FAUST

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:04 am

ccass wrote:I'm currently using a Megabass X7 Destruction. I haven't used it much but, I'm afraid it may not have the guts.
I wouldn't think that the X7 would have the guts based on the manufacturers description and lure weights down to 1/4 oz. You need to go with a more parabolic dedicated punch rod if you punch frequently. The parabolic rods do work to keep the fish pinned in the mats, and the heavier action allows you to throw the 1 to 2.5 ounce tungsten comfortably. It sucks to have a rod sit in the rod locker most of the year, but we are enthusiasts on TT :D .
Pitching to hard cover is a whole other game. You most likely won't be using weights over 1 oz., and a faster action feels better to me. I prefer a stiffer butt section for pitching to hard cover also.
I would have both types of rods if you are fishing for money, otherwise you should accept the fact that you may lose a fish here and there. You can also use your punching rod for throwing swimbaits if you don't have dedicated rods for those applications.

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:18 am

Power Tackle just brought back the PG-105 is a stout rod but is a great shorter punching rod 7'6 Mag heavy all your power is in the bottom end of the blank making the tip not stiff. I live in canada and use this rod we get some pretty thick mats up here at times and it has worked great for me.