First time Glider

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
pharmboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

First time Glider

Post by pharmboy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:30 am

Gonna finally give the glide baits a good try this spring. Looking the match the forage up North and would like to shoot for about a 2oz bait in the 6-7in range in a Perch pattern. If big toothy critters weren't so prevalent up here I would go straight to the Roman Made negotiator in perch, but the Musky/Pike lurking in my waters make me nervous...

So, I've narrowed it down to
1- S-waver 168 in perch
2- Gan Craft jointed Claw 178 in perch
3- Duo Perch - almost 8 in so a little hesitant that I would end up with mostly big toothy fish

Let me know if anyone has experience with these smaller gliders..

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: First time Glider

Post by Toadslayer72 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:07 am

I can relate to this concern in the waters where Esox roam. If fear of losing the bait is that much of a distraction then I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better bargain than the S-Waver or perhaps the Savage Gear glider. I've never fish the Savage Gear but have read good things about it since it was introduced. The Gan Craft and Duo finishes are fantastic but you'd expect that considering the price. Which brings me back to your fear of losing the baits. I wouldn't think you would consider either of those two baits because they still aren't inexpensive. Sure compared to some other baits out there they are but the Duo is creeping toward $50 and the Gan Craft is $70 on TWH. I say ditch the fear and get the one you really want.

In my experience w glide baits in general (which is NOT extremely vast) I have notice that I prefer the action of the bigger baits. Specifically when comparing the S-Waver 168 to the 200. The physics involved allows for better gliding w that next step up in size/weight, IMO. The 168 isn't bad at all but the 200 kicks it's ass. If you decide to step up to the 200, I don't think it comes in Perch. At least I can't seem to find it in the Perch. I would use a good, serviceable base color and just hit it up w a sharpie, a bunch of little dots in a perch pattern looks pretty slick actually.

I hope this was helpful, good luck and keep us posted.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:53 am

S-Waver is great when you care about losing lures. I have heard some manufacturing issues with the lure, which makes sense (can't afford good QC if you are selling it at the price).

Jdmbiggie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jdmbiggie » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:13 am

s waver or savage gear new shad glider...bang for the buck

pharmboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by pharmboy » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:18 pm

thanks for the input. I think I will get an s-waver 168 to start the year and grab the gan craft as long as I am not tangling with too many esox. Hopefully the smallies enjoy the glide!

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:05 am

pharmboy wrote:thanks for the input. I think I will get an s-waver 168 to start the year and grab the gan craft as long as I am not tangling with too many esox. Hopefully the smallies enjoy the glide!
Oh they'll enjoy it! If nothing else, you will see some cool stuff. I fish a lake that's predominantly Smallies and I have seen hordes of fish following glides. It's a cool thing to see a group of 5 or more fish following in the same exact dog walking cadence, almost mimicking the bait. I also saw a mini pack of smallies that were all probably bigger than my PB w one real giant....I couldn't believe it.
Last edited by Toadslayer72 on Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pharmboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by pharmboy » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:26 am

Do you have many of the smallies commit to the glider or mostly follows? I imagine my local lakes with smb/lmb mix will respond well to it, but I am guessing the sturgeon bay smallies will be a lot of followers.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:04 am

I stopped targeting smallies a few yrs. ago when I transitioned over to big bait fishing but I still continue to catch them on all of my big bait techniques. They are unavoidable in the lake I fish that has them but I've seen WAY more followers than committers on the gliders. I really think that a bait like the Deps 250 puts them in some sort of trance, lol.
Last edited by Toadslayer72 on Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:24 am

Looking to get my first glide bait is it worth it to spend the extra cash on the Megabass i Glide over the River2Sea S Waver? Also not a glide bait but was looking at the bucca bull shad in 5" slow sink. Looking for something I can still throw on regular tackle fishing in the northeast

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:39 pm

jerkbait22 wrote:Looking to get my first glide bait is it worth it to spend the extra cash on the Megabass i Glide over the River2Sea S Waver? Also not a glide bait but was looking at the bucca bull shad in 5" slow sink. Looking for something I can still throw on regular tackle fishing in the northeast
How much you want to spend is up to you and I'm sure the Megabass is a great bait but I'd suggest starting out w the S-Waver and build from there if you find you like the technique. I don't own any of Mike Bucca's baits but the Bull Shad is supposed to be legit.

One of the things that I CLEARLY remember helping me to keep grinding when I switched over to big bait fishing is how amazing so many of these baits look in the water. There's a good chance that if you step up to a bait like the Bull Shad, you will be hooked on buying these types of baits, they are awesome.

pharmboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by pharmboy » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:27 am

Making the jump officially and grabbing the perch S-waver 168 and the perch pattern GC Claw 178. To round out my start into swim baiting I grabbed a MB magdraft 6in in Nude bass. I am thinking a MH 7'6 SC Xtreme rod with 16 lb fluoro (might upgrade to 20 to fend off esox) spooled on Core 100mg7....am I underpowered? I also have the 7-11 flipping stick if I need a stouter rod and could throw heavy braid/flouro leader from my Abu Record 60. Thoughts on the setup for the 2oz or so swim baits? Hopefully I don't need a designated SB setup to get this started...

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:18 am

I don't think you are underpowered. I would def go w the MH Xtreme first though. I'm thinking that rod probably has a more moderate taper that is better suited for casting the gliders. One thing that can be frustrating about glide baits is their propensity to helicopter on the cast. This can wreak havoc in the backlash dept. and the natural reaction is to put more into your casts which is of course more often than not the wrong thing to do. Be sure to smooth out your mechanics until you get it dialed in. Remember, you're not firing a nice compact crankbait with everything you've got. Strive for smoothness in your casts right out of the gate.

Congrats on the purchases too, new techniques and gear is always exciting.