VMC Line Tie Split Ring

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
Greg64
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

VMC Line Tie Split Ring

Post by Greg64 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:11 am

Has anyone used the new VMC Line Tie Split Rings, yet? TW is carrying them; however, nobody has posted a review. If you've used them, and assuming you were satisfied with them, what size did you use? If I don't get these, I'll probably get the Lucky Craft oval split rings.

Thanks

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: VMC Line Tie Split Ring

Post by Canga- » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:48 am

i havent actually used them yet, but i got some. they are not very stout looking, i got the size 0 and 1, the 0 is rated at 11lbs and the 1 at 13lbs.

i dont know if i will actually use them as they are really light wire, and im worried that they will bend pretty easily.

i also bought some of the regular split rings, the size 3 are HUGE and rated at 80lbs...a drastic difference from the line tie rings.

Greg64
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Greg64 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:44 pm

Yes, the rating of these rings gave me pause.

Thanks for the feedback.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:47 am

I've been using the #2 pear-shaped split rings. They do appear a little slight, but I haven't lost any lures yet.

oe

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:17 am

Most of us are going to use the size #3 or #4. I emailed VMC about the rating and it is not the breaking strength, it is what the breaking strength of the line they used when they tested them. In other words the 11lb rating is the line they used when testing the split ring and for most bass size baits you would use the #3 or #4 size. I checked this out because I ordered the size #3 and never looked to see if there was a rating and I got worried so I checked with VMC and I saw the chart, I'm glad I checked because it does make it seem like the breaking strength is what they listed, why would you list the line you used?