Daiwa Tatula 7'2"MHRB or 7'2"HFB

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
smallykiller
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa Tatula 7'2"MHRB or 7'2"HFB

Post by smallykiller » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:00 am

I"m looking for a rod to throw .5-1 oz. buzzbaits, .5-1oz spinnerbaits, and horny toads in mild to heavy cover. Anyone have the daiwa tatula 7'2'mhr or 7'2"HF? Wondering how much power the tips have considering a horny toad isn't that heavy. Any information on these two rods would be appreciated.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa Tatula 7'2"MHRB or 7'2"HFB

Post by big_gee » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:02 am

I have both of these rods. I got the 7'2"MHRB for small swimbaits and bigger buzzbaits, spinnerbaits and chatterbaits. To me the rod can do a lot. The tip on is great for reaction baits. I think the 7'2"HFB is a little too fast and a little to stiff for reaction baits. I use it for bigger senkos and bottom contact baits.

For what you are looking for I would suggest the MHRB.

That's my opinion for what it's worth.

metanium
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by metanium » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:48 am

I have both as well, and totally agree w/big_gee.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:41 am

I'm not sure that regular taper is going to drive a heavy hook through the plastic of a toad style bait and then fully penetrate the fish. In open water it might be ok but in heavy cover I think you will miss the backbone but there is only one way to find out.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:43 am

There is plenty of backbone in the MHRB. It also depends on line size and whether or not your using braid. I would be afraid with the HFB you might pull the bait away too fast. If you think you can pause long enough you might be ok. I myself like the tip on the MHRB and have had no issues and I like to fish it around cover. If I'm fishing a toad I'm using braid if I'm fishing spinnerbaits and buzzbaits I'm using heavy mono.

Have you thought about the Tatula frog rod? I like it for toads and frogs but prefer the 7'2"MHRB for buzzbaits and spinnerbaits but have used if for toads. Just an option if you are fishing heavy cover.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:46 am

I don't have the 721HFB, but I do have the 721MHRB-G and it has that soft glass tip, but it has a heavy backbone. It works great for squarebills, spooks, traps, deep divers, and spinnerbaits. I could even see using for frogs and toads on open water, but not in cover. I have the 711MHRB and use it for spinnerbaits, swim jigs, etc. It definitely has a stiffer tip, but comparable backbone. It would work great for light cover frogging. I'd like to know just what the difference is between the 7'2" and 7'1" mh/r rods. I have the 761HFB flip rod and it's just awesome for flipping, close quarters pitching, frogging, c-rigs, smaller swimbaits, and even deep cranks. The business end is only 1.75" longer than the 721HFB because of the longer handle, so I imagine it's similar in terms of taper and backbone. It may have a slightly deeper bend.

smallykiller
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by smallykiller » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:00 am

I have thought about the Tatula frog rod and flipping stick. I do prefer rods over 7' long but I do not like handles over 13.75". I have a new zillion 7'mxf and the handle is 14", I will probably cut it down. That leaves me with the Tatula 7'2"Heavy fast and the 7'2"Medium Heavy Regular which have handles at 13.75". I do own a 7' mhf steez and a custom st croix scv 7'H. I'm hoping one of the two Tatula 7'2" rods are powered between my 7' steez and st croix scv. Any body have a guess on that?

frogpond11
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by frogpond11 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:02 pm

I owned the 7'2" HFB for a while before it broke on me :x But before that, I really liked the rod a whole lot for frogs and heavier texas rigs/jigs. The rod was really light and balanced but also very powerful as well. To your question, I wouldn't recommend this rod for reaction baits, it's just too stiff in my opinion. I wouldn't have liked it for anything other than a frog, bottom contact bait, light punching, or maybe a c-rig. Hope this helps.

And does anyone have an email for Daiwa's warranty department?? I've tried calling a couple times and someone who doesn't speak English disconnects me trying to transfer me.. so I decided to just look for an email address to ask them what to do about my broken rod, but couldn't find one. Daiwa's customer service seems below par... :?

Justin

dinosorcerer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dinosorcerer » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:44 am

I have a Daiwa Tatula 7'6" HFB but has the same lure weight as the 7'2". I used it to throw from 1/4oz to 3oz no problem so far. The 3 oz is me throwing lucky craft RC supreme lure. I don't chuck it hard as I can but it can throw it. There's a video of someone using that lure and chucking it far though.

frogpond11 wrote:I owned the 7'2" HFB for a while before it broke on me :x But before that, I really liked the rod a whole lot for frogs and heavier texas rigs/jigs. The rod was really light and balanced but also very powerful as well. To your question, I wouldn't recommend this rod for reaction baits, it's just too stiff in my opinion. I wouldn't have liked it for anything other than a frog, bottom contact bait, light punching, or maybe a c-rig. Hope this helps.

And does anyone have an email for Daiwa's warranty department?? I've tried calling a couple times and someone who doesn't speak English disconnects me trying to transfer me.. so I decided to just look for an email address to ask them what to do about my broken rod, but couldn't find one. Daiwa's customer service seems below par... :?

Justin
In my experience, since I live close to their headquarters in Cypress, I just bring it in and they replace it on the spot without hassle. Anyway the number: (562) 375-6800 and I'm not sure of their service email but heres one of the email: admail@daiwa.com

smallykiller
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by smallykiller » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:22 am

For warranty, just go on their website and follow return instructions. I have sent a few rods back and in a week I have a new one. Daiwa has great warranty service.

frogpond11
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by frogpond11 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:26 pm

smallykiller wrote:For warranty, just go on their website and follow return instructions. I have sent a few rods back and in a week I have a new one. Daiwa has great warranty service.
Shipped the rod out yesterday to Daiwa... so hopefully they send me a replacement! I'll let y'all know what happens.

What rod did you end up going with between the H and MH??

Justin

smallykiller
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by smallykiller » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:45 am

I didn't purchase rod yet, frozen here. I will purchase both in spring.

jvanda1
Angler
Angler

Post by jvanda1 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:45 pm

Regarding the 7.2MHRb, do you guys thinks it’s “passable” for Use as a crankbait rod? I have one, but Don’t use it much since I got a similar (but faster action) g-rod. But I have nothing else that could be any good for cranking.

Thanks!

jte54
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jte54 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:10 am

jvanda1 wrote:Regarding the 7.2MHRb, do you guys thinks it’s “passable” for Use as a crankbait rod? I have one, but Don’t use it much since I got a similar (but faster action) g-rod. But I have nothing else that could be any good for cranking.

Thanks!
frogpond11 wrote:I owned the 7'2" HFB for a while before it broke on me :x But before that, I really liked the rod a whole lot for frogs and heavier texas rigs/jigs. The rod was really light and balanced but also very powerful as well. To your question, I wouldn't recommend this rod for reaction baits, it's just too stiff in my opinion. I wouldn't have liked it for anything other than a frog, bottom contact bait, light punching, or maybe a c-rig. Hope this helps.

Justin
Justin, I have returned several rods to Daiwa and each time they replaced them no questions asked, but I did send copies of my receipts. I always went to the website on the service and warranty tab and followed their instructions. Never had any issues. Try contacting them on Facebook. They usually respond within a day if not same day. I even had some older models I was worried about getting replaced and they sent me the exact replacement. Must have been perfect timing IDK.

Jvanda, if you were deep cranking with the rod it might be soft enough for that or big squarebills.

webertime
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by webertime » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:54 pm

I have both as well, the MHR is plenty powerful for what you want to throw. The 72HF is like a slightly crisper MHF St Croix Avid.