Port Mansfield Texas 2/17

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
THEGAME
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Port Mansfield Texas 2/17

Post by THEGAME » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:29 am

Well i finally got to get my T 140 out.
I met a young man ( 73 ) at RGV fly shop. He was shopping for a kayak and I told him I had got one for Christmas and realy liked it. Although I had only paddled it in the local canal. We swaped #'s and he invited me to come up to Port M and go yak fishing with him.
Anyway we headed out onto a glass slick laguna madre.We paddled streight out toward the ICWW spoils then turmed south toward Mullet island. About 45 minutes into the trip we found ourselves setting in the middle of what looked like about an acre of Black Drum. They were all slowly headed somewhere. Being that Black Drum are partial to live and dead bait and just so so to artificials, I figured it might be hard getting one to bit my cork E. I was right, they wanted nothing to do with it. I changed to a light jig head and a plastic shrimp body and finally found one that was hungry. Man what a ride. I got a tour of the whole laguna at the expence of a 30+ inch drum. I finaly got him wore dowm on the 8# trout rig and winched him to the side of the yak. As I was reaching out to grab hold, he had one more run in him and pulled the hook. That quick release suited me fine. Although I like to take pictures, I realy didn't want the big ugly beating around in my yak. Some where in the tug of war i got pulled out from the school of drum or they left from the comotion.
We resumed our paddling south. After we got near mullet island we stoped and had a bite to eat and then started fishing. After about an hour of drifting and bouncing a lemon pearl 3X jig on the bottom I hooked into a nice speck. A 23 incher. We fished another 30 minutes are so then the wind picked up from the North East. My partner said it was 4:30 and with the head wind and the 5 mile trip. We had better start back. Boy was he right on that call. 2 hours later I pulled into the bank in front of his house.
My deltoids felt like they were swelled to the size on Bill Goldburgs and my right hand felt like it would soon fall off at the wrist.My partner came in a couple hundred yards behind me. We were not racing . You have to keep in mind he is 73 years young. But he is in better shape than most 30 year olds and also runs marathons in his spare time, when he is not out just jogging. A 5 mile paddle into a stiff wind and moderate to heavy chop is not exactly fun for the first time out yaking. But I enjoyed it anyway and look farward to the next trip.
I took a few pictures of the herd of drum and the speck and scienery, but they are on my through away camara and not my digital. I was leary about hauling the 300 dollar camara out in the yak. By the time i get the film took up and the pics developed it will be too late to do any good on this report.
Until next time
FISH ON

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Port Mansfield Texas 2/17

Post by Jinz000 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:56 am

Thanks Jeff for a wonderful report. Sounds like you had a lot of fun, except for the aching shoulders. :)

Jinz

THEGAME
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by THEGAME » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:20 pm

Well the burning shoulders is all part of the game. You know what that say, pain is just weakness trying to get out. LOL

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:55 pm

The Game,

Great post. I can't wait to get a kayak now. :) Do you have a livewell system rigged on your kayak? If possible, post a picture of your fishing kayak.

Aerotus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Aerotus » Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:10 pm

Nice report! Make sure you get a dry bag to store yourdry goods, like clothing, camera, etc. If you do fish on windy days, get an anchor and let it drag along the bottom or get a drift socks.
Let's see some pictures of your rig!

swear by senkos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by swear by senkos » Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:06 pm

Doesnt the army have a saying like that, pain is weakness leaving the body i thought i saw it on a shirt.

THEGAME
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by THEGAME » Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:45 pm

Yea I think the army uses the slogan. I told them it would be alright to use it as long as they didn't abuse it. LOL
I have a drift sock and an anchor. I use a 2 lb rubber coated dumbell from walmart. I drilled a tapped a 1/4-20 hole in the end of it and screwed a stainless I bolt in it.They cost 1.99 so if I loose it are it gets hung, I don't feel so bad about cutting the rope.
I will have to take a picture of my boat all rigged and ready to go and post it later.
I need to get a dry bag but for now I am using zip lock bags for my 2 way radios and camara, and cell phone. I have yet to rig up a live well on mine but I have some good ideas on one, As for now I have a stringer and an ice chest.