Getting A Frog Ready To Fish

Is there any other species?
SteveDB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Getting A Frog Ready To Fish

Post by SteveDB » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:37 pm

Bass Junkie wrote:First of all, DO NOT SEAL THE FROG!! The frog must have a way to expel air from it's body upon the strike in order to allow the hooks to become exposed. Sealing the frog seals the air in, and makes it impossible to hook the fish. I personally use Spro Bronzeye frogs 90% of the time, and all I do to prepare them is fold the legs over the head and cut them off at the front of the line tie. This allows enough of the legs to remain to make the frog a viable option for chugging, and giving a realistic profile, while at the same time making walking the frog much easier. I will also "break in" the body with my thumb by pressing down on the plastic area between the hooks and compressing the body a few times. There is no need to bend the hooks, the frog is very well designed. As for hook sets, use braid, wait a second, and whack them hard. I have set the hook at virtually all angles on frog fish, and as long as you give them a second and then hit them hard, you will hook up.
I`ve got a couple of Transporter Frogs that sink like a rock.

panda_slicks86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by panda_slicks86 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:03 pm

anyone using those optimum frog i want some but cant hit the purchase button.

FishG3
Angler
Angler

Post by FishG3 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:36 pm

I've used the Optimum frog and was pleased with it. I ended up taking the blade off because it seemed to catch on imaginary objects but overall I liked it. Still own 2-3 but Live targets have since replaced all my frogs.

panda_slicks86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by panda_slicks86 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:50 pm

yea im trying other things out ( frog wise ) cause i have lost too many fish with kopper's i was either gonna buy some booyah's or some optimum's ......... like you said ill most likely take the blade off.

tacklejunkie2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tacklejunkie2 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:27 am

What's the best way to bend the hook on a hollow belly frog? I've read where some guys just bend up the tips and others will bend up the tips and also bend the hook out away from the body of the frog. These hooks appear to be pretty stout and I'd rather not have to make a trip to the ER room.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:59 am

Don't bend the tips! Just grab the hook at the bend with pliers and apply enough pressure to get the point away from the body. Leave the straight portion below the barb to above the tip alone, you'll weaken and break them.

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MRQturbo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:58 pm

when frog fishing you'll have to train yourself to wait a split second after you see the fish hit to set the hook....kinda wait until you can feel the fish on the line then give it a good hookset....if the fish completely misses the frog or bumps it there isn't much you can do on your end....its such a exciting way to fish because you'll see the fish hit the frogs, not just feel the bite.....i use spros or snag proof frogs and don't do anything but trim the legs a little...no need to bend out the hooks IMO...

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:56 pm

froteur wrote:
Crankbaitmaker wrote:What are the things that I can do to a frog to get it ready to fish?

Thanks,
Crankbaitmaker
i tie it on. :big grin:
Classic...

Montanaro
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Montanaro » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:17 pm

I up size the hook

cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cumara » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:39 am

A good tip I picked up from a video (by I think Gary Klein) was to take some braided line and wrap it around the hook shank at the Y junction to keep the hooks from flexing apart.

johnnybass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johnnybass » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:47 am

q1w2e3_89 wrote:http://blog.wired2fish.com/blog/bid/790 ... odied-Frog

This might be an interesting read. I'm curious to know if anyone has modified their frogs to make them more finesse tackle friendly. With several 1/4 oz frogs on the market now, I'd like to use them on lighter tackle in more open areas, but setting the hook on standard hollow bodied frogs require heavier tackle.
I like to fish lighter popping frogs like snagproof or scum with 30 lb braid and a 6 1/2 ft mh spinning rod. I can skip it easier and can use the lighter tip to really make the frog quiver. You would be surprised at what you can pull a bass out with with 30 lb braid but I, obviously, don't throw throw this into heavy slop.

mike304
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mike304 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:00 pm

I tweak the hooks out a little on all my frogs. It doesn't really affect the weedless qualities and I think it increases hookup percentage. Learn from my mistake, have a good pair of pliers and make sure you have a good grip on the hook. I slipped and flattened the barb twice!
Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:58 am

Once I used the Jackall Iobee, I didn't have to do anything to modify the bait. I've caught more fish with the simple white (if it's bright) and black (every other light condition) Iobee frogs than with any other brand.

Giqqo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Giqqo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:51 am

What i always do is bend the hooks up slightly

Giqqo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Giqqo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:51 am

and trim the legs if needed be