2006 Quantum Energy Pti

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 2006 Quantum Energy Pti

Post by Hulkster » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:55 pm

RojoKayako wrote:
psb7508 wrote:I have the chance to purchase last years model brand new on a closeout special for $99.95. Would you rather purchase last years model with the extra spool or pay $139.95 and either pay for an extraspool or have to join the Quantum Club to get the extra spool?
I could really care less, and that's what I meant when I said that I am "so unimpressed". I mean, if all it takes is a "Free Spool" to get you excited about purchasing a reel, then go get a Abu, Mitchell...or something.

Hey...If the reel is a great reel, then the so-called "free spool" should make no difference. I didn't get a free spool with my Fin-nors or Stradics - so no big deal. I didn't even miss 'em.

Rojo
the problem isn't that the reel does not come with a free spool, its that others in that price range (and in fact a little below it) all come with a free spool. And of course, its not really "free" it is included in the price of the reel. So, you are paying the usual price but not getting the extra spool like you used to or like you do from other manufacturers.

To me, having to send away for an extra spool is a pain, especially when:

1. it used to come with one
2. you don't have to bother waiting with other companies - its right there in the box.

to me, it seems like an inconvenience.

Why should you have to wait to get one if it is "free" anyway?

who knows how long it will take to get one from the company?

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Zman » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:20 pm

I have yet to read a word about the reel itself. Someone who owns please let us know! Is it really a big improvement over the original PTi? Please pretend it came with 8 extra spools and then post just about the reel!

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bitesize » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:03 pm

Remember the plastic parts that were on the Kinetic PTi, Catalyst PTi, and Energy PTi? Well, plastic no more. All the plastic has been replaced with metal!!! Now you have more durable components. Check out the drag knob and other components. You'll see that it's metal now. So looks like to keep the same price, MAYBE they had to get rid of the extra spool. Maybe we can get a clarification from TT or Quantum.

shtuka
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shtuka » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:03 am

The extra spool is really important for me because I wade a lot, walk along the river/lake and generally tend to be on the move. The spare spool eliminates need for second or third setup, and often enables me to fish half a day – day with one rod and one reel.

And if you look at EU market, many companies sell spinnfishing reels with TWO spare spools (and some with three) – one identical and one shallow. That is what I would like to see offered to our market. If I am shopping for a spinning reel and narrowed down to 2-3 different models, the extra spool (or two) might be determining factor to make my decision.

For all of the boat fishermen it does not matter (probably) if they have dozen or two dozen rods/reels, but for us “footsoldiersâ€Â

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Zman » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:31 am

Yeah totally understood, and I think everyone agrees, there should be a second spool. Now that I know there isn't one, I'm ready to hear some reviews about the reel.

Personally I have about four extra spools sitting in their original boxes, never used. Some are spooled with line, just in case, and I have carried them in my tackle boxes in the past. I've never needed them except one time when I ran low on line.

I do appreciate the added bonus though, but its absence is not enough to keep me from buying the reel if it really is a great reel. I still don't see how the orginal PTi could be improved upon that much except for the weight. If anyone owns both, please post your opnions.

ShoreBound
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ShoreBound » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:19 am

The spare spool is important to me because I don't fish from a boat but it's not so much from the lack of it that disappoints me as that the reel used to be packaged with it and now Quantum wants me to join a club to get it. I believe that's a step backward for them.

I am not disappointed with the reel. I am disappointed with Quantum. The Catalyst is still no. 1 in my list but I might just go buy another great reel from another company. My way of telling of Quantum, "Do a better job of impressing me."

I want to know if the 2006 "redesigned" reels really do have significant improvements over the 2005s.

njsaltangler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by njsaltangler » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:09 pm

HELLO TO ALL!
I WANT TO COMMENT ON THIS SUBJECT BECAUSE, I HAVE RECENTLY PURCHASED 2 NEW 06' VERSION REDESIGNED QUANTUM REELS THAT I WILL HAVE THIS COMING WEEK (THE ENERGY 10 & CATALYST 10 PTI-A ULTRALITES)

WELL AS FAR AS ALL THIS STUFF EVERYBODY IS SAYING ABOUT THE (EXTRA SPOOLS) WHICH HONESTLY I DONT CARE ABOUT BECAUSE TO ME, IT'S MORE IMPORTANT HOW THE QUALITY OF THE REELS ARE AND HOW THEY PERFORM (THESE NEW 06' VERSIONS) THEN WORRING ABOUT NOT GETTING THE EXTRA SPOOL RIGHT AWAY BECAUSE, I PROBABLY WONT EVEN USE THE EXTRA SPOOLS BUT, SURE IT'S NICE TO HAVE THEM AVAILABLE.

SO WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE THAT HAS ACTUALLY USED THESE NEW VERSIONS YET? THE (ENERGY OR CATALYST) I HAVE SEEN THE NEW ENERGY IN PERSON AND I'LL TELL YOU GUYS, IT LOOKS & FEELS ALOT BETTER THAN LAST YR'S VERSION (A MUCH MORE FLAT SOLID TANKLIKE SLIMMER BODY IT SEEMED TO ME, A MACHINED DRAG KNOB & WATERPROOF TOO) SO THEN MAIN THING IS HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM? HOW DO THEY PERFORM WITH THE NEW FEATURES (TI MAG III, DIFFERENT LINE ROLLER SYSTEM, MAGLOK II-ANTI-REVERSE SYSTEM, ETC) THAT TO ME, IS ALOT MORE IMPORTANT THEN THE EXTRA SPOOL PROBLEM DOESNT ANYBODY AGREE WITH ME? BECAUSE, WHAT GOOD IS HAVING AN EXTRA SPOOL ON A REEL IF YOU DONT LIKE HOW THE QUALITY OR THE PERFORMANCE OF THE REEL IS RIGHT? :lol:

ANYBODY'S ACTUAL FIELD TESTED INFO ON THESE REELS I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR ABOUT ASAP!

THANKS TO ALL!
NJsaltangler

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Zman » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:18 pm

Next time I want answers, I'm just going to PM that guy! :lol: NJ Salt Angler, you just said everything I've wanted to say, only you SAID IT A LOT LOUDER! I agree, and I'm looking forward to a few different reviews and answers to those questions! I can also live without the extra spool pretty easily if the reel is improved.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:59 pm

All i can say is that i feel that the PTi spinning reels since they came out are the best spinning reels available for under 250 dollars. I am not a big quantum guy when it comes to baitcasting i actually prefer shimano until the 06 models started to come out but quantums spinning reels are amazing and really cant see why someone would buy a stella when the energy or catalyst can be had for fractions the cost.
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:58 pm

Yes, I have use the new Catalyst. And like I said earlier in this topic, the bail kept flipping during the cast. Just like what a weak bail spring would cause. But since the Catalysr uses magnets, it lead me to believe that the new TiMag lll is not as good as the older TiMag ll. I have both last year's and the new '06 version and I prefer the last year's version. It seems to be smoother and I never have any line twist problems so the new Line Management System is not an issue. I would take the '05 version over the '06 version any day. In my opinion, Quantum took a step backwards when they released the new Catalyst. And, not that affects its performance, the '05 version is alot nicer looking with its chrome-like finish. Plus it did come with the extra spool that so many of ya'll don't seem to care about. And, lastly, the new version is more expensive. For my money, I want the extra spool-whether I use it or not. For $100, it seems to me that you should get the extra spool. Heck, they give it to you for free when you get enough PT points anyway. And, I believe you get enough points when you buy the Catalyst to get the spool. I could be wrong on that, though. I took my '06 version back to BPS because I was so disappointed.

njsaltangler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by njsaltangler » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:23 pm

Has anybody else out there experienced any problems with the new TiMag lll bail system on their (06' Energy's or Catalyst's) such as, what the reader Dustlane has reported about his Redesigned 06' Catalyst (And problems with the bail flipping closed during the cast?) I am just curious if anybody else has these problems too with the new Redesigned TiMag lll systems as, I have just received a new Energy Pti 10a today but have yet to try it.

Thanks to all!

NJ Salt Angler
NJsaltangler

Audiodoode
Angler
Angler

Post by Audiodoode » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:21 am

All I've done is picked up a demo model Energy PTI & played with it, testing what I was curious about.
It seems more solid than last years model to me.
I"ve used Okuma Metaloids for 3 years going, with no problems.
I ride them very hard in salt, brackish & fresh water and the only thing that I can find to complain of is the flaking off of the purty, shiny metallic coating on one of them, so it's only esoteric.
I'll be purchasing 2 20 series Energy PTI reels this evening and riding them like dogs this season, but with a lifetime waranty, I feel confident that it's a sound product.
If there's an issue, it'll rear its ugly head this spring when the striper run gets going.
After that, bass fishing will feel like a picnic to them.
One thing is certain. I will never, ever shell out 3 to 5 hundred for some reel that Shimano puts out there.
Both Shimano & Daiwa have proven to me over the years that they can put a $150 dog out there and smile about it, and that dog won't be biting me again.
If I ever get that loose with my money, I need to take up Origami.
I don't care if I hit the lotto. Twice.

Audiodoode
Angler
Angler

Post by Audiodoode » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:21 pm

And also, thanks to Willy for the heads up on where to get the free spare spool.
I greatly appreciate it.
I picked up my reels today @ B.P.S. with them knocking off $25 each for 2 old reels I donated at the door.
So far I'm pleased with everything but the mega-manly cold front that's busting through at this very moment.
Last edited by Audiodoode on Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:06 pm

Just got back from bass pro, and tested out the new Energy Pti vs the old. I had some old reels to donate ,and I was buying a gift . I think everyone agrees for under $150 spinning reel the energy really rocks. Most of your high end reels do not come with spare spools. So it was not a big shock to me.

However, I went with the 05 model, because of the spare spool, and the price. I had no time to join the club and get the free spool since it was a gift. There are a ton of practical reasons to have spare spools, so I consider it a must . Spend a week on a rough rocky river, or make a run from ultra clear water, up into a muddy stump and brush filled river and a spare spool will become your best friend. I have to admit though, the $85 price once you got your reel donation rebate was the closer.

From just playing around I could determine no discernable difference performance wise between the two. I have to admit, I have a hard time detecting performance differences with spinning tackle. They tend to be a lot less subtle than with baitcasters. I also had no way of determining if the new version cuts down on line twist. It did seem more solid , and durable due to less plastic. If the prices were close I would get the 06. I think it is a better reel,especially if it does cut down on line twist . Nevertheless, the improvements are just not enough to overcome the 05 price. IMHO

psb7508
Angler
Angler

Post by psb7508 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:37 pm

I joined the Quantum Club. I sent my receipts and UPC codes in on Saturday, February 19th. I just received my jacket today. The package also was supposed to have included the spare spool that I wanted. However, it did not arrive. I will call again tomorrow to let Quantum know of the omission.