Ned Rig

Is there any other species?
mike304
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Ned Rig

Post by mike304 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:58 am

I know this is from another forum, but it has a pretty good explanation for why you should use the zman stuff instead of substitutes.

http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishin ... d-rig.html

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:02 pm

mike304 wrote:I know this is from another forum, but it has a pretty good explanation for why you should use the zman stuff instead of substitutes.

http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishin ... d-rig.html
Good breakdown... the zman rig vs. a senko is night and day because a senko doesnt float like the zman does...

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:15 am

All I have done is snag and loose ever Ned rig I have thrown out. I've tried weedless and lost that one too haha.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:00 am

RMCatchNrelease wrote:All I have done is snag and loose ever Ned rig I have thrown out. I've tried weedless and lost that one too haha.
LOL, i have lost a few myself in rocks. But, thats fishing!

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:24 pm

is the dookie rig really that much more effective than a shakey? to me it always felt similar so never bothered trying

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:53 pm

Chode wrote:is the dookie rig really that much more effective than a shakey? to me it always felt similar so never bothered trying
its slightly different, which could make the difference for you in any situation.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:09 am

I saw a video that shows the Z man trd new out of package will sink straight to the bottom without any floating capability. After a while it will eventually float and stand up . Have you fellas experienced this and is it normal ? I heard that you should stretch your plastic before use , will this relieve the issue ?

Tavery5
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tavery5 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:22 am

Real Pudd legend wrote:I saw a video that shows the Z man trd new out of package will sink straight to the bottom without any floating capability. After a while it will eventually float and stand up . Have you fellas experienced this and is it normal ? I heard that you should stretch your plastic before use , will this relieve the issue ?
They will sink out of the package and it is normal. They have a lot of salt in them that needs to dissolve in the water before they will float well. Stretching the bait helps open up some of the pores in the bait and expose more of the salt content to the water which helps speed the salt dissolving. You can also pre-soak the baits prior to use.

Many Ned Rig fisherman prefer the Zinkerz cut in half, they have a different plastic formula that is a little harder but releases it's salt a little faster. Once the salt is gone they also seem to have a very different feel to them and become very lifelike.
Some people also pre-soak these, and stretching also helps with the salt dissolving as well.

Both baits are great but personally I feel the Zinkerz are the better deal and perform as well or better than the TRD with the correct jig head and keeper.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:42 am

Thankyou so much for the detailed info and I will try the Zinkerz and give them a shot . If I may , can I ask what jig head sizes will work well for the bait to float and work properly ? I bought some 1/10 oz a man shroomz heads would those be okay ?

Tavery5
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tavery5 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:20 am

Real Pudd legend wrote:Thankyou so much for the detailed info and I will try the Zinkerz and give them a shot . If I may , can I ask what jig head sizes will work well for the bait to float and work properly ? I bought some 1/10 oz a man shroomz heads would those be okay ?
If you choose to use the Zinkerz be sure to get yourself some good gel type superglue to affix the bait to the head. 1/10th will work fantastic, just adjust the weight to your fishing conditions, sometimes it takes a little more weight, but I always use the lightest weight that I feel I can fish effectively, somewhere between 1/16 and 1/8.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:53 am

Thankyou so much for all the much needed info . Sounds like I need to soak some trds and Zinkerz , dry them then apply the jighead . I like the loctite glue because of the squeeze tabs on the side that help you control the amount . Forgot to mention the bottle has a nice cap that will stay locked and won't let the glue dry.

heyitzpetah
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by heyitzpetah » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:16 pm

Whats a good rod action/power/length to effectively fish the ned rig? Been eyeing this technique, but not sure if I have a combo for it.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:08 pm

Pretty sure the foremost proponent of the rig, Ned Kehde, uses a 6-foot medium action spinning rod with an old Cardinal C4 spinning reel on it. He used to use 10 lb. nylon monofilament, but might have switched to 10 lb. Nanofil with a leader.

I don't think tackle matters much with this rig. It uses a small, light (usually 1/16 oz. or less) jighead with a small hook (#6 or #4), so bass aren't quick to spit it out and sensitivity is not as important.

Kehde's choice of a medium action rod seems strange, given the light weight of the rig casted and his admission that most of the bass he catches are on the small side. However, he fishes windswept Kansas reservoirs, and I suppose the stiffer rod is helpful in setting hooks when there is a bow in one's line, either from the wind or from a light lure sinking on 10-lb. line. It also could come in handy if the lure is sucked in by the occasional carp or catfish.

In less windy conditions, a ML or XFL rod would probably do well; the deeper the rig will be fished, the more backbone one might want at distance from the reel in order to facilitate hooksets.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:38 am

Real Pudd legend wrote:I saw a video that shows the Z man trd new out of package will sink straight to the bottom without any floating capability. After a while it will eventually float and stand up . Have you fellas experienced this and is it normal ? I heard that you should stretch your plastic before use , will this relieve the issue ?
I haven't noticed, then again i cant see past 2 feet in the water lol..

I do though, by instinct for some reason, always stretch out the bait before putting it on.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:40 am

Tavery5 wrote:
They will sink out of the package and it is normal. They have a lot of salt in them that needs to dissolve in the water before they will float well. Stretching the bait helps open up some of the pores in the bait and expose more of the salt content to the water which helps speed the salt dissolving. You can also pre-soak the baits prior to use.

Many Ned Rig fisherman prefer the Zinkerz cut in half, they have a different plastic formula that is a little harder but releases it's salt a little faster. Once the salt is gone they also seem to have a very different feel to them and become very lifelike.
Some people also pre-soak these, and stretching also helps with the salt dissolving as well.

Both baits are great but personally I feel the Zinkerz are the better deal and perform as well or better than the TRD with the correct jig head and keeper.
Great info!