I am looking for a new reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Young Fisherman2016
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

I am looking for a new reel

Post by Young Fisherman2016 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:14 am

Alright, let me give you the details
I just got into consistent bass fishing this year when my Dad bought me a cheap abu garcia blackmax combo from Walmart and I've had some good success since then, (first time I went bass fishing with my dad with the new reel i caught a nice 4 pounder in a place though to not have any bass left in it from chain pickeral and when fishing at one of my friends neighbors ponds i hooked what we estimate to be around 8 pounds bass bite my chrome rattle trap and come to the surface and seconds later to snap 10 pound test line(no idea how this happened but anyway), also went to his other neighbors to do some bluegill and see if anymore bass were left in the place and had an ultralight or light spinning reel with four pound test and a rebel cricket and an estimated 5lb bucketmouth took it and i had the fight of my life getting it to the shore since we didnt have a net only to see him get unhooked but oh well) but id like to find an reel thats an upgrade compared to the blackmax i would prefer aluminum frame for durability and would like to stay around 100 and i just want something thats versatile. What are your suggestions?

tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: I am looking for a new reel

Post by tditox4 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:13 am

Get someone to purchase a used magnesium tdz from an auction website for you . I do not think you can go wrong with a tdz. I know the tdz r+ is nicer, but it is also not in your price range . Are you sure you want to be on this forum ??? .....there are a lot of members here who spend way too much money on reels [-X :roll: :mrgreen: :oops: ](*,) \:D/ :big grin: ... some of us are a little crazy, when it comes to this sport . ](*,) :doh: 8-[ . Unlike the Ashley Madison hackers, no names will be published, (to protect the guilty) :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:

jeff h
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jeff h » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:35 am

$100? hmmm....I'd get me a new Daiwa Exceler EXE.

http://www.daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=685

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:37 am

My favorite "cheaper" tank reel is a Gen 2 Abu Revo STX. I'm sure you could find them in good condition for at or under $100. Way better than the Gen 3 in my opinion. I loved that reel and it's still my go to loaner for friends. Guys also really love the Tatula and they come in at $100 new on sale if you know where to look.

jeff h
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jeff h » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:48 am

Yep, if you can score a new Tatula for $100, you are winning the game!

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:08 am

Welcome to the forum! A new Citica I would be my choice for something close to that price.

Young Fisherman2016
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Young Fisherman2016 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:06 pm

Thanks for the answers and although i know i probably could get a better reel used for the money Id rather buy new any suggestions for a good rod to go with the tatula

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:05 pm

Take a look at the omen black 2.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:24 pm

Tat rod/reel combo would rock :D

progressive816
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by progressive816 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:16 am

Welcome to the forum.

I would go with the Tatula for $100. A second would be the Citica I.

You can get the >$300 reels later, but this should slowly ease you into the addiction. :big grin:

Young Fisherman2016
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Young Fisherman2016 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:24 am

iI see it this way with a cheaper reel I feel like I will get my moneys worth from fishing
I try to keep track of how many fish I catch and use it as a value system for Largemouth bass usually consider them a point and bluegill and crappie .5 a point unless they are of the bigger size which is rare they can count as 1 but I try to set a certain period of a time and time spent fishing and see if the dollar amount is lower than the amount of points. Since the blackmax was bought by my dad i do not know the specific dollar amount but i estimate it was around 60 or 65 and I estimate my points to be a little over 100( yes i have spent a good bit of time fishing throughout the summer :big grin: :big grin: :big grin: ) therefore I believe I have gotten the value out of the combo which has served me well great starters reel if you dont mind not having an aluminum frame havent had any problems with the reel and also trying to find a very very cheap rod to go with it because the rod it come with is horrible in my opinion I heard what sounded like cracking with a hard fighting 3lber but anyways I know that I have not been into bass fishing long but Id like to give some advice to some of the memebers on here you don't need the most expensive setup out there go back to basics I realize that the smoothness and performance of these setups can be great but i remember as my Grandpa told me when i was very little was that the money doesn't make the fisherman, a good fisherman makes the money. I was reminded when my old neighbor brought home multiple 10lb bass one year using guess what a cheap walmart combo. I digress (rant over)

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:29 am

How's this for a value proposition?
If you buy a used workhorse, say a TD-Z or a Curado 200 that people have come to know and love over the years, you can usually sell them at the right time, to the right person years later (condition being a factor of course) for little to no loss.
A couple of years ago I went on a buying binge for Curado 200s and 50s. I paid between 100 and 150 based on condition and seller. Had I sold them before the newest Curado came out ( seeing that the previous one was a flop and made people pine for the old models) I could have actually made money on reels that I had caught literally hundreds of fish on, each. Today, I could likely still get my money back were I inclined to sell (which I am not).
There are some reels, and companies as a whole out there, that offer incredible initial value, but just won't hold it. Some are proven winners, and some are just resale nightmares ( I am looking at you, Quantum).
Buy what you like, and like what you buy.
good Fishing!

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:16 pm

Get a Citica I on the auction site for $117. X ship, SVS infinity, great ergos and great casting range.

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:52 pm

I'd say the new lews lfs speed spool $99 model. Can be had for $79 on various websites & eBay. The old $99 speed spool casted just as far as a $280 revo premier I had. Check out the reviews on tackle warehouse, ALL good reviews

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:26 am

I have shimano daiwa quantum and lews reels.
For the money get the Lews LFS reels.
Unless you are brand loyal like some people, its hard to beat a Lews.
The LFS version retailing for $100 is a good deal for a beginner.
The LFS tournament MB retailing for $140 is also a good deal.
Both models can be had for much less on ebay.
I have several of the Tournament MB reels and they fish just as good as the much higher priced Lews, Shimano or daiwa reels.
These Lews will preform great straight out of the box.
Like the previous post stated, read the reviews on tackle warehouse