spinnerbait trailer

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
gailt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

spinnerbait trailer

Post by gailt » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:27 am

I have been away from bass fishing for a good while,and I like to use a spinnerbait some.My question is what is a good trailer,and your favorite spinnerbait .I have strike king,and booyah,and,stangun which I like the best,and its also costs about twice as much as the others.Any others I should try,and don't forget to suggest some good trailers.Thanks to all in advance.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: spinnerbait trailer

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:53 am

Pick some and work them out. Some you like, some you don't. This is the way of things. Use trailer to create bigger profile, or add cast distance, or add color. Or all of this. Let your need dictate your selection and make sure to add a trailer hook.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:14 am

I like Revenge(both regular and Deep Runner) and Ganns spinnerbaits. Mainly use the 4" flukes as trailers. Have used Little Dippers as well, but like the split tail better on a spinnerbait. The paddle tails seem to cause to much lift making it harder to keep them down deeper.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:05 pm

I very seldom use a trailer but when I do I like the Lunker city Trailer Bait. That twin tail has tails with flat sides, the body rigs on large spinnerbait hooks really will and it will give you a little more movement without a lot of lift.

Demoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Demoman » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:12 pm

Best trailer for me is a simple, small, single tail mister twister grub. Pick your color. Far as spinnerbaits go, I do not throw anything that has a steel wire frame. I can't count the number of smallmouth that have broken spinnerbaits in half along with my heart. So titanium only for me. Those T2 spinnerbaits in 3/8 and 1/2 do the deal here. Muddy water and I'm not in a hurry I throw a turtle/Colorado gold bladed one, clearer or slightly off color water I'm burning a white one with silver or chrome willows.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:48 pm

Many recommend the War Eagle spinnerbaits
I picked up a few the other day, great value and they simply catch fish :D
Their skirts have built in trailers, so bonus

gailt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gailt » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:52 am

I'll try some of your suggestions,and thanks to all.
africanbass I find it interting that You're from South Africa I just sold a camping tool to someone in Durbansville South Africa,small world I guess.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:43 am

gailt wrote:I'll try some of your suggestions,and thanks to all.
africanbass I find it interting that You're from South Africa I just sold a camping tool to someone in Durbansville South Africa,small world I guess.
Yeah, tackle addiction has reached true pandemic status :lol:
You simply can't hide.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:02 am

I like the War Eagles. If I really need to add bulk or thump I throw on a Reaction Innovations Skinny Dipper or Little Dipper.

jeff h
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jeff h » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:31 am

I use 5" single tail grubs (usually Kalin's) to bulk it up or I like to use Culprit 6" worms for a little action tail.

BigAl23
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BigAl23 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:47 pm

Look up Rocky Ledge tackle. Jim makes great spinnerbaits. Personally I never use trailers or trailer hooks.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:45 am

Demoman wrote:Best trailer for me is a simple, small, single tail mister twister grub. Pick your color. Far as spinnerbaits go, I do not throw anything that has a steel wire frame. I can't count the number of smallmouth that have broken spinnerbaits in half along with my heart. So titanium only for me. Those T2 spinnerbaits in 3/8 and 1/2 do the deal here. Muddy water and I'm not in a hurry I throw a turtle/Colorado gold bladed one, clearer or slightly off color water I'm burning a white one with silver or chrome willows.
X2 on the Mr. Twister single tail grub.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:35 pm

My favourite spinnerbaits are the compact (but relatively heavy) models such as the SK Baby Burner or the WE Screaming Eagle.
Favourite trailer is the Zoom Split tail.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:17 pm

Do plastic trailers that contain salt corrode spinnerbait hooks if left on for storage?

Most spinnerbait hooks seem to have a nickel plating; does that matter with regard to corrosion?

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:54 pm

Cannot say I have seen salty plastic trailers on spinnerbaits do any harm to my hooks and some have been on for months.

However a worm hook left with the point embedded in a texas rigged worm for a week or two in storage is a different matter. Even a tiny amount of rust on the hook point will have a substantial negative effect on hook up ratio.