Edge black widow

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Edge black widow

Post by KP Duty » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:50 pm

Crap dude...you paid for the 4g63 and got the Chrysler motor.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:25 pm

This is just crazy. I am not sure what they are smoking up there at EDGE rods.

How can they make such large changes to the rod without callig attention to it? Those are 3 big changes that would affect anyone's purchase. Downgraded blank, downgraded end caps on a $500 rod, no more spiral wrapping like advertised.....CRAZY.

I had hoped things would be straightened out over there. The kickstarter was a mess and put a bad taste in my mouth. However, every time I fish the rod, I start to forget. I would love to fish their rods, but for the price they are lacking in components, build quality on mine was not $300+, and service is good but always falls back to "that's how Gary does it". Perhaps sometimes someone should tell the great Gary, HM means HM, fast/ex fast does not mean a moderate wet noodle, and proprietary chrome plated guides are not in the same league with Fuji sic/torzorite.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:09 pm

RMCatchNrelease wrote:This is just crazy. I am not sure what they are smoking up there at EDGE rods.

How can they make such large changes to the rod without callig attention to it? Those are 3 big changes that would affect anyone's purchase. Downgraded blank, downgraded end caps on a $500 rod, no more spiral wrapping like advertised.....CRAZY.

I had hoped things would be straightened out over there. The kickstarter was a mess and put a bad taste in my mouth. However, every time I fish the rod, I start to forget. I would love to fish their rods, but for the price they are lacking in components, build quality on mine was not $300+, and service is good but always falls back to "that's how Gary does it". Perhaps sometimes someone should tell the great Gary, HM means HM, fast/ex fast does not mean a moderate wet noodle, and proprietary chrome plated guides are not in the same league with Fuji sic/torzorite.
but ur just not getting it. that's how gary does it!!! :lol:

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:59 pm

"IT'S HARD TO BUY THE SAME EDGE ROD TWICE"!!!

What a joke

grantman83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by grantman83 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:14 pm

Mind bottled by this strategy...mind bottling

How is a company supposed to build brand loyalty when there is no set standard on what you are selling? We all get that Gary is a legend, but you are crazy if you think all a customer dropping that much money will be okay with a total bait and switch just because "gary" says so. I had no idea they stopped spiral wrapping their rods as I thought this was one of their big sells..

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:58 am

Glad I didn't dive into the kickstarter rods or any of those they are selling currently. Seems like their just isn't something right going on for the kind of coin they want for the rods.

OP- sorry to hear of this and hopefully they will get you taken care of.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:06 am

4g63power wrote:
5bites wrote:On hm blanks?
Yes hm blanks

Good deal. Hopefully they line out your situation and their own.

4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 4g63power » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:31 am

So I've decided to return the rods to tw for refunds instead. Disappointed and discouraged but getting my money back while I can is the right move I feel.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:59 am

Hopefully they treat you right with that. Some of tw's recent feedback on here has me discouraged and disappointed.

4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 4g63power » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:30 pm

5bites wrote:Hopefully they treat you right with that. Some of tw's recent feedback on here has me discouraged and disappointed.
Actually I decided to return it and get the money back after speaking with a rep from tw. According to her, manufacturers make changes all the time and they are not always notified to change the descriptions.said they are going to update it which sounded to me they are fine with selling IM wrapped black widows for the same price. Feel free to retun it for full refunds so that's what I'm going to do. Very displeased with the whole deal but I'm over it.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:57 pm

The idea of Gary constantly tweaking rods to make "even better" during the year with no notice is a red flag. This is what companies, that cheapen their product but keep the price the same, do and it tells a sad tale. I doubt you see Edge Rods for too much longer, first a kick starter campaign and then switching out blanks with no notice makes me think they are short on money.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:23 pm

Refund is the best bet unfortunately.

It is sad because they make a great blank. I asked Alex, the head guy over there, how can companies buy North Fork blanks and produce quality rods with excellent components for less than Edge. It baffles the mind to think Kistler makes a living a selling NFC blanks in the $175-$400 range, yet Edge can't get a rod out for under $400 with quality guides. I know I really hammer the guides, but the First Strike rods going for $400 have the same guides as the TFO tactical rods at $99. I would think a custom build on NFC IM would still come in under or right at their price. Plain crazy

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:11 pm

I'm with ya RM- those guides are a deal breaker at that price.
I asked if I could pay extra to get upgraded guides- nope.
Was told If I didn't like it, I need to buy the blanks & go to a custom rod builder. So I asked (twice)for the part numbers for the 2 blanks I was interested in- no response.

I've moved on, I'm over it.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:19 pm

Is Gary Loomis going the way of George Lucas? Touted for brilliant work, but taking the wrong turn when he is given the space/control...

Rfdong
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rfdong » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:34 am

You can see the kickstarter post. I also had a weird bad experience after my edge broke in the middle setting on a 2lber. They wanted me to pay more than warranty price then backtracked when I pointed it out. I ended up telling them to pound sand, and if they had a change of heart to donate a rod to WW. I doubt they exist for long at least in the bass industry so be prepared to have no warranty. It's a poorly run outfit. We have so many choices why deal with that crap. My .02