Shimano Chronarch 100d7 Anti Reverse Bearing Help!

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Shimano Chronarch 100d7 Anti Reverse Bearing Help!

Post by chreim20 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:25 am

Hey guys,

I've read the forum for several years and this is my first post. I have a couple of Shimano Chronarch 100d7 reels that I bought used. Love them. I do all my own maintenance on my reels. I think the anti reverse bearing is slipping in one of the reels, so I took it apart and the anti reverse bearing seems to be pressed into the side plate, it does not want to come out very easily and I don't want to force it. The reel schematics doesn't show the anti reverse bearing in the picture. My question is, do I need to buy the whole handle side plate with a bearing in it? Anyone who can give me some information, I'd appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

Christian

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Shimano Chronarch 100d7 Anti Reverse Bearing Help!

Post by rockchalk06 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:36 pm

It should come out. I've been able to take it out with all my Shimano Reels. What does the roller clutch inner tube look like? Is it buggered up?

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... ts_id=3502

Here is the part I do believe. I'd give TT a call and see if this is the correct piece.

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zimbass » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:45 pm

The BNT2396 is the correct part for this reel. If you prefer, you can get the Anti Rust Bearing BNT2949. Sure that Shimano parts will have them.

The bearing is removable. Try placing a 8mm socket in there, and press hard with your thumb. Sometimes a few careful taps with a hammer is needed to remove the stubborn ones.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:06 pm

Thanks guys! Very good information. The bearing in the side plate looks very clean, but I think it's been over oiled by the previous user which could make it slip. I know the bearing is relatively cheap so I thought buying a new one would be the ticket. The bearing doesn't come out easy like on the 200e7 reels I own, probably because it's an aluminum side plate. But now that I know it's removable, I'll get the part and go ahead and install it. Thanks for the information and if anyone else wants to chime in about this topic or the 100d7 reel, please do so! Thanks again!

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:30 am

How can you tell if the anti-reverse bearings are slipping? Its got the secondary clutch and pawl.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:33 am

I remove the anti reverse pawl on all my shimano reels. Makes them smoother and I don't want the pawl breaking off and messing up my gears.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:15 am

Zimbass wrote:The BNT2396 is the correct part for this reel. If you prefer, you can get the Anti Rust Bearing BNT2949. Sure that Shimano parts will have them.

The bearing is removable. Try placing a 8mm socket in there, and press hard with your thumb. Sometimes a few careful taps with a hammer is needed to remove the stubborn ones.
I was able to remove the bearing the other day and have a new one coming soon. In your opinion should I put a very small amount of oil a the new bearing or just install the way it comes and let it be? Thanks!

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zimbass » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:26 pm

On a new bearing, I would put a couple of drops of your oil of choice (Shimano is great). Work this around the the roller bearings with a Q-tip. Apply a fingerprint of grease to the housing where it fits. This helps it go in easier, and avoids the bearing rusting in the side plate.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:11 pm

Zimbass wrote:On a new bearing, I would put a couple of drops of your oil of choice (Shimano is great). Work this around the the roller bearings with a Q-tip. Apply a fingerprint of grease to the housing where it fits. This helps it go in easier, and avoids the bearing rusting in the side plate.
Will do, thanks again for your help and to everyone else as well!

Christian

TexAg2018
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by TexAg2018 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:30 pm

I am having the same issue with my 100D7. When using the socket do you push from the outside of plate in or inside of plate out?

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:33 pm

TexAg2018 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:30 pm
I am having the same issue with my 100D7. When using the socket do you push from the outside of plate in or inside of plate out?
Hi, I originally started this post a long time ago. Anyways, you want to push the anti reverse bearing inward. If I can remember correct, I think I used a 10 mm socket. What I ended up doing was laying a towel over a block of wood so it was soft but still provided some resistance. Go ahead and double or even triple up the towel. I used a rubber mallet and gently started tapping the bearing inward. Hope this helps.

Christian

TexAg2018
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by TexAg2018 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:04 pm

chreim20 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:33 pm
TexAg2018 wrote:
Hi, I originally started this post a long time ago. Anyways, you want to push the anti reverse bearing inward. If I can remember correct, I think I used a 10 mm socket. What I ended up doing was laying a towel over a block of wood so it was soft but still provided some resistance. Go ahead and double or even triple up the towel. I used a rubber mallet and gently started tapping the bearing inward. Hope this helps.

Christian
I had to squirt PD blaster in there for a few days and then was able to tap it out with your method. Did you replace the bearing with the antirust version? Was it a tight squeeze to get it back in? I have not experienced this with any of the other 20+ shimanos I own.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:59 pm

TexAg2018 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:04 pm
chreim20 wrote:
TexAg2018 wrote:

Christian
I had to squirt PD blaster in there for a few days and then was able to tap it out with your method. Did you replace the bearing with the antirust version? Was it a tight squeeze to get it back in? I have not experienced this with any of the other 20+ shimanos I own.
I replaced it with a new OEM anti reverse bearing. I cleaned everything real good and put a nice coating of grease on the side plate where the bearing goes. It tapped back in fairly easy. After I got the bearing in place I wiped up any leftover grease.

TexAg2018
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by TexAg2018 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:15 pm

chreim20 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:59 pm
TexAg2018 wrote:
chreim20 wrote:
TexAg2018 wrote:

Christian
I replaced it with a new OEM anti reverse bearing. I cleaned everything real good and put a nice coating of grease on the side plate where the bearing goes. It tapped back in fairly easy. After I got the bearing in place I wiped up any leftover grease.
Was it BNT2396? Just want to make sure I order the correct one because it is not a part listed on the schematic.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:37 pm

TexAg2018 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:15 pm
chreim20 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:59 pm
TexAg2018 wrote:
chreim20 wrote:
TexAg2018 wrote:

Christian
Was it BNT2396? Just want to make sure I order the correct one because it is not a part listed on the schematic.
I can't remember the exact part number, but they put that bearing is several shimano reels. It's been several years since I did this. I pretty sure it was bnt2356.