What rain gear do you use?

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

What rain gear do you use?

Post by BucketHunter » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:48 am

Yesterday was our Bass Opener. Gale force winds and torrential rains were in the forecast, and the weather gods did not disappoint. We were one of three boats that launched that day in the most popular marina on the Canadian side. It was that bad.
We braved the elements for 2.5 hours, landing 18 Largemouth all on frogs. It was a kamikaze bite, the best I've ever seen. Had I better rain gear (also, remembered my bib, but that would have netted me another hour, maybe) we may have been on one of the most memorable topwater days I could ever have. Average size was 3lbs with a couple going over 5. This was Lake St. Clair, and I cannot shake the feeling that we were on a 100+fish day with a chance at some real pigs. They were post spawn and feeding up, with some fish skinny, and some stuffed to the gills. A real shot at a PB was in the cards.
We got soaked to the bone, and with 15C temps, the wind was enough to make it a near hypothermic experience. We grudgingly gave in, shivering and numb, and went ashore for a hot meal. We luckily each had shorts and tshirt to change into, you know, in case it got too hot on the water LOL.
What do you guys wear, how good is it, and would you buy it again or upgrade to something else? Usually bad weather means bad fishing, but the thought of missing out on another day like that once in my lifetime is too much to bear.

Drewgill
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: What rain gear do you use?

Post by Drewgill » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:31 am

I was on St. Clair yesterday, too. I lasted about 8 hours out there in a kayak - definitely the worst conditions I've ever fished in. I have a nice gortex BPS Pro Qualifier suit and was soaked after about 2 hours. It was a long day...

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:56 am

Simms or bps 100mph are what most wear. I have the Shimano suit and it's okay if standing...Water gets in the zipper as it's not 100% seem less waterproof :(

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:44 am

Insulated Cabelas Guidware if it's cold or BPS 100 mph on mild days.

Would like to try the Simms as it seems it gets really good feedback.

Good luck with your search ...

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:16 am

Drewgill wrote:I was on St. Clair yesterday, too. I lasted about 8 hours out there in a kayak - definitely the worst conditions I've ever fished in. I have a nice gortex BPS Pro Qualifier suit and was soaked after about 2 hours. It was a long day...
Were you in the yak tourney out of Mitchells Bay?
You guys are nuts LOL. I couldn't sit in that all day. I have a Pro Angler, was going to stop and talk to some of the guys there, was just too nasty to stop and chat...

Drewgill
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Drewgill » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:39 am

BucketHunter wrote:
Drewgill wrote:I was on St. Clair yesterday, too. I lasted about 8 hours out there in a kayak - definitely the worst conditions I've ever fished in. I have a nice gortex BPS Pro Qualifier suit and was soaked after about 2 hours. It was a long day...
Were you in the yak tourney out of Mitchells Bay?
You guys are nuts LOL. I couldn't sit in that all day. I have a Pro Angler, was going to stop and talk to some of the guys there, was just too nasty to stop and chat...

Yes, we're nuts. I was part of the same tournament (https://www.bordercityclassic.org/home.html) but fished the American side. I was tucked into Metro Park most of the day and it was still brutal.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:41 am

At least we had the off shore wind over here. I can't imagine going to the on shore side, which is why we didn't hit our normal opener haunt - Long Point Bay on Lake Erie.

hawkoath
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hawkoath » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:46 pm

I wear a Marmot raincoat (can't remember the design name). It's a general purpose outer layer raincoat. Definitely waterproof with zipper, velcro and buttons that make the middle waterproof unless you fall in. The sleeves are also adjustable with velcro and the hoodie on top is really snug with a chin guard that really helps water from coming it. The bad thing is that it's an outer layer only so if it's cold you need to wear some thermals underneath, but because it's relatively thin you can use it for a variety of occasions.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:47 pm

I have Simms Pro Dry pants and Simms Contender Jacket and really like it.

wink
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by wink » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:58 pm

I was pleased with how my Gill KB1 Racer Jacket and KB1 Racer Trousers(bib) preformed as I was also on St Clair competing in the BCC Kayak Tourney on Sat. Worst conditions I ever fished in with the rain and wind but was warm and for the most part dry for the 8 hours I was fishing . Worth a look in IMO

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:30 am

I tried various stuff over the years trying to get by cheap. I finally broke down and got a set of Cabela's Guidewear. I couldn't believe I was spending that kind of money. 10+ years later its still going strong and hands down the best rain gear that I've ever tried. If I lost it today, I'd have no trouble getting another set.

Simms is high on my list if I ever need to replace the Guidewear. I love everything else Simms that I own. But, I don't see the Guidewear needing to be replaced anytime soon.

My best friend just got a set of 100mph this spring. He loves it.

BigAl23
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BigAl23 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:36 pm

Mine is like Gore-tex but a few guys I fish with have the Cabelas. They love it.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:02 pm

Pair of FroggToggs. If it's summer, they slip over a t and jeans. If it's winter (old winters in Jersey), I've got layers. It may change in SC but I'm doubting it.

TFOUR
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TFOUR » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:20 pm

My all time favorite and what I wear and reccomend is Stormr. It's pricier but you get what you pay for. My Stormr gear has already paid for itself many times over. Tough weather conditions bring it on!