Almost a Lemon

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mickeyfin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Almost a Lemon

Post by mickeyfin » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:00 am

Recently picked up the Daiwa Alphas 105 sh for light salt plastic casting. Mounted it on a new Dobyns 704cb glass and took it on a maiden calico bass fishing trip to the Channel Islands, CA. Using a 1/4 oz. my 1st cast looped back and almost hooked my ear. I tried backing off the left drag dial and right spool tension knob but no improvement. Rather than taking the reel apart on the deck it was retired to the rack. Good thing I took along 3 other bait casters. :lol:
When I returned home I removed the left side plate but no improvement. Then removed the tension knob cap and finally the spool spun as expected. Step by step I put back each part and checked for free spool. This time everything worked as expected. Not sure what the hang up was but it turned out an easy fix. Just glad I didn't have to return the reel to Japan.
Go gettum, Mick

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Almost a Lemon

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:35 pm

I recently took delivery ov a alphas sv that had issues. after the cast it would not re engage i had to push up the thumbar. took it apart and found the striker lever was riding up and over the striker plate and pushing into the under side of the main gear. the tab on the end of the lever had an angle on it causing it to ride up. I squared the end up with some light filing and polishing and now works perfect. very disapointing for a new reel out of the box.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:14 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:I recently took delivery ov a alphas sv that had issues. after the cast it would not re engage i had to push up the thumbar. took it apart and found the striker lever was riding up and over the striker plate and pushing into the under side of the main gear. the tab on the end of the lever had an angle on it causing it to ride up. I squared the end up with some light filing and polishing and now works perfect. very disapointing for a new reel out of the box.
quite the handyman. now me on the other hand woudl've gotten pissed off and threw the reel against the wall

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:13 am

Part of my skill set, I am a Fitter & Turner by trade and have a small reel repair business as well.

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:13 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:Part of my skill set, I am a Fitter & Turner by trade and have a small reel repair business as well.
I think our relatively small city here have enough trades + fishing fanaticism that if we all got together we could make a world class fishing co. :D

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:37 am

Martin Lo wrote:
BARRAMANIAC wrote:Part of my skill set, I am a Fitter & Turner by trade and have a small reel repair business as well.
I think our relatively small city here have enough trades + fishing fanaticism that if we all got together we could make a world class fishing co. :D

Or fill a small asylum! :lol:

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:52 am

mark poulson wrote:
Martin Lo wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:50 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
Martin Lo wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well more crazy transplant experiments next week ;)

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:12 am

I bought one from Japan Lure Shop about a month ago. Last week my first cast I started noticing this weird ticking noise and felt some resistance while reeling it in. Took it apart and cleaned lubed everything well.

Next cast made this horrible grinding noise with something feeling out of balance. Ruined 90 yards of Fluoro cutting that backlash out.

I found the problem though. Excuse my ignorance on the part names, but there is an E-clip holding down (palm side) a washer and a spring. The E-clip came loose during the cast. It caused some pretty decent damage to the side of the spool that meets the magnetic breaks.

After 5 emails, JLS is finally going to replace the spool. Hopefully the replacement should be here soon.

I had high hopes for this reel, but so far everything has been a bust

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:34 am

Is this reel assembled in Japan? :shock:

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:56 am

Yes made in Japan

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:42 am

I have yet to have any problems with mine. The only thing that I have done is relube the reel to my specs.