Repairing Waders

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
gyro
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Repairing Waders

Post by gyro » Thu May 15, 2003 1:19 pm

I was out in the river the other day fishing for rainbows when all of a sudden, i felt water rush into my waders. :? When i checked, there was a L-shaped rip about 3 inches long and 2 inches high. The waders are made of nylon/pvc. So does anyone have any ideas how to fix this rip?

Thanks in advance.

Brookie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Repairing Waders

Post by Brookie » Thu May 15, 2003 1:38 pm

Is it still under warranty? If so send them in.
If not, you might be able to find patching kits for it.
Not sure though.

gyro
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gyro » Thu May 15, 2003 1:51 pm

thanks brookie,
i bought them last September. I'm pretty sure the store's warranty is over but the manufacturer may have a 1 yr warranty. But even if it's under warranty by the manufacturer, i would have to send it in and wait a month. I'd rather patch it up, if that works, so i can go out while the trout are still around in the rivers.

Gideon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Gideon » Thu May 15, 2003 2:03 pm

Hi Gyro,

The same thing happened to me a last season, I tried some glue patches first which disn't work well at all. Finally I ordered a gore-tex patch kit from The Fly Shop, and that has worked out really well. They come with gore-tex patches and aquaseal.

Here's a link: http://www.theflyshop.com/35.htm

Its at the very bottom, and for 6 bucks its a good deal since it saved my 300 dollar Chota waders.

gyro
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gyro » Thu May 15, 2003 2:26 pm

thanks Gideon. Checked out the site. Were the patches you used before using rubber cement? Wonder if i could buy the Aquaseal or Cotol stuff at Home Depot or some Scuba diving store and use that instead of the rubber cement?

Buzz
TT Staff Angler
TT Staff Angler

Post by Buzz » Fri May 16, 2003 12:21 am

Gyro,

I had the same problem after 3 years with my Simms Goretex breathable waders. I sent them back to the manufacturer and they not only patched the leak, but completely re-inforced both legs (even though only one had damage) for free! Companies tend to be very good about that stuff.

I had a patch kit, but I chose to send it back to see what they would do and I lucked out. If you choose to patch yourself be careful. My waders came with a patch kit but fortunately I haven't had to use it. I just carry it for emergentcy purposes.

Troy :lol:

gyro
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gyro » Fri May 16, 2003 6:30 am

buzz,

wow, that says a lot about Simms. I guess you had to pay for shipping and wait for a month. I guess i'll try to contact the manufacturer and see what they can do and how long the turn-around time is before going the patch route.

Thanks guys.

Gyro