Jigs VS Texas Rig...???

Is there any other species?
OG_ZILLION
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Jigs VS Texas Rig...???

Post by OG_ZILLION » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:19 am

I fish the same lakes and ponds all year round and sometimes will try and fish a new lake/pond. I LOVE fishing shallow water and I am definitely a Flippin and Pitchin kind of guy.

Because I flip and pitch so much...I ALWAYS bring a jig and texas rig combo. I always get bit on the same structure/cover with BOTH techniques....BUT....It finally DAWNED on me and now I am a little CONFUSED.....

1. How do I know which technique is the "BEST ONE"to fish first/choose when I come up to a specific cover/structure/feature...???

2. What kind of situation, condition or cover/structure would warrant fishing one over the other for the best/biggest bite...???

3. I know there are situations/places where its obvious that I can fish BOTH techniques and still be successful so...in those situations...does it really matter than which one I fish...???

surf n turf
Angler
Angler

Re: Jigs VS Texas Rig...???

Post by surf n turf » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:01 pm

OG_ZILLION wrote:I fish the same lakes and ponds all year round and sometimes will try and fish a new lake/pond. I LOVE fishing shallow water and I am definitely a Flippin and Pitchin kind of guy.

Because I flip and pitch so much...I ALWAYS bring a jig and texas rig combo. I always get bit on the same structure/cover with BOTH techniques....BUT....It finally DAWNED on me and now I am a little CONFUSED.....

1. How do I know which technique is the "BEST ONE"to fish first/choose when I come up to a specific cover/structure/feature...???

2. What kind of situation, condition or cover/structure would warrant fishing one over the other for the best/biggest bite...???

3. I know there are situations/places where its obvious that I can fish BOTH techniques and still be successful so...in those situations...does it really matter than which one I fish...???
First off I'd like to say that I fish these two presentations all season long and together they get 60-70% of my time on the water. Just love the bite!

1. Fish the one you prefer to fish the most.

2. Hotter bite, pre-frontal I'd go more aggressive with a jig.

3. If I'm in heavier weeds I'll sometimes prefer a 1/4 tungsten T-rig worm cuz it sinks like a brick even though it's lighter so you can start fishing it quickly and it slithers through the weeds a lot nicer than a jig. Definitely a jig if the body of water has plentiful crawfish as forage.

Sometimes they're just tuned into one more than the other depending on the time of year or even the day but you'll figure it out in short order if you're throwing both equal amounts of time in any certain area. Often if I'm catching with both I'll use the one that I happen to prefer that moment and never even bother switching up to find out if there is a slight preference. Just my experience and most of my fishing with these two presentations is out deep near the edges of the cabbage and in the heavier coontail. I'm def not a pitch/flip kinda guy and will often abandon the shallows come mid summer unless I'm fishing topwater in the early or late hours of the day so take what I say with a tiny grain of salt.

OG_ZILLION
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by OG_ZILLION » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:10 pm

Thanks for the tips and suggestions.

I LOVE to flip/pitch Tulles. Just need to fish more so I can see for myself which is the better one for the cover/structure at the time for the conditions.

reddragon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reddragon » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:01 am

I'm usually pitching a t-rig or jig, so how I choose is just based on how thick the cover is. If I'm likely to get hung with a jig, I'll go t-rig with a unexposed hook. Both work well, just find what you're comfortable doing with them.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:17 am

i usually let the fish tell me what to throw on any given day. if they want both, throw whatever gives u the most fun

cure-hb
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by cure-hb » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:03 am

surf n turf wrote:
OG_ZILLION wrote:I fish the same lakes and ponds all year round and sometimes will try and fish a new lake/pond. I LOVE fishing shallow water and I am definitely a Flippin and Pitchin kind of guy.

First off I'd like to say that I fish these two presentations all season long and together they get 60-70% of my time on the water. Just love the bite!

1. Fish the one you prefer to fish the most.

2. Hotter bite, pre-frontal I'd go more aggressive with a jig.

3. If I'm in heavier weeds I'll sometimes prefer a 1/4 tungsten T-rig worm cuz it sinks like a brick even though it's lighter so you can start fishing it quickly and it slithers through the weeds a lot nicer than a jig. Definitely a jig if the body of water has plentiful crawfish as forage.

Sometimes they're just tuned into one more than the other depending on the time of year or even the day but you'll figure it out in short order if you're throwing both equal amounts of time in any certain area. Often if I'm catching with both I'll use the one that I happen to prefer that moment and never even bother switching up to find out if there is a slight preference. Just my experience and most of my fishing with these two presentations is out deep near the edges of the cabbage and in the heavier coontail. I'm def not a pitch/flip kinda guy and will often abandon the shallows come mid summer unless I'm fishing topwater in the early or late hours of the day so take what I say with a tiny grain of salt.
thanks for sharing

dirtygeary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dirtygeary » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:57 am

Thanks