Re: Favorite Or Greatest Bass Fisherman Of All Time

Post by barrys » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:21 am

Virgil Ward

hookset on 3
Angler
Angler

Post by hookset on 3 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:02 am

The Greatest is KVD. This view is shared by regular non-tournament Bass fisherman and most of Kevin's peers. Those how have had the chance to fun fish with Van Dam, say that no one is able to factor in all the variables quicker and as effectively as him and to start catching sizable Bass.

jigapig
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jigapig » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:40 am

Denny Brauer =D>

Cagey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cagey » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:06 pm

X2 for Denny Brauer.

btoups
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by btoups » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:09 am

Greatest in my opinion is KVD.

Favorite is Greg Hackney. He is a good fisherman, from Louisiana, and just seems like he would be fun to fish with.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:26 am

I'm thinking of a bass fisherman or two or three that did something that really changed bass fishing for the better.
He doesn't necessarily have to have won the most tournaments, etc.

Babe Ruth was so great that he changed the game of baseball forever to a home-run type of game.

But in bass fishing there are many who did things that resulted in major changes (improvements) in the sport of bass fishing.

Here are a few names in no particular order:

Forrest Wood
Holmes Thurmond
Nick Crème
Gary Yamamoto
Gary Loomis
James Heddon
Fred Arbogast
R.D. Hull
William Shakespeare, Jr.
Pflueger family
Whoever invented the Mitchell 300 spinning reel

trevorvandam
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by trevorvandam » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:01 pm

my favorite angler is skeet reese. As far as the greatest go, there is too many to choose from. But one I haven't seen anyone say is Paul Elias

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:25 pm

I am largely with Dragon on this one.

Doug Hannon
Al & Ron Lindner
Doug Stange
Honorable mention to Jerry McKinnis

These guys were at the forefront of scientific approach to fishing. Without these folks, there would likely Be no KVD. And speaking of KVD, a lot of his tourney success came when he was testing a prototype hydrowave unit that other fishermen didn't have...I don't think it coincidence that he pretty much stopped winning when the technology became available for sale to everyone...

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:42 am

CALL ME RIFLE wrote:I am largely with Dragon on this one.

Doug Hannon
Al & Ron Lindner
Doug Stange
Honorable mention to Jerry McKinnis

These guys were at the forefront of scientific approach to fishing. Without these folks, there would likely Be no KVD. And speaking of KVD, a lot of his tourney success came when he was testing a prototype hydrowave unit that other fishermen didn't have...I don't think it coincidence that he pretty much stopped winning when the technology became available for sale to everyone...
The HydroWave is interesting BUT why not Jeff Kreit?

bemo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bemo » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:43 am

KVDs success comes from the HydroWave? Are you serious? That's like saying Jordan's shoes made him great.

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:57 pm

bemo wrote:KVDs success comes from the HydroWave? Are you serious? That's like saying Jordan's shoes made him great.
Actually bemo, saying KVDs shoes made him great would be like saying Jordan's shoes made him great...that would be an "apples to apples" comparison, whereas yours is not. If Jordan would have been using some sort of electronic device during games that essentially "called"the ball to the hoop and made it more likely to go in, and was, in many games, the only player on the court who had such a device, then THAT would be a good comparison to the previous hydrowave situation. Obviously the guy is a decent fisherman, or he wouldn't be at the pro level (although a lot of being a pro also has to do with having enough money to just travel and fish almost endlessly, and doing so until noticed by sponsors and winning/placing well in a number of events)...but the timing of his falling from the top off the heap certainly does coincide with exactly what I stated above. That is indisputable fact. You may think it purely coincidence, and are entitled to your opinion. I think otherwise. 8-)
Johnny,
Perhaps Kreit isn't as good of a fisherman as KVD, or perhaps, hey, we all have bad days...of course things like ability and even luck play huge roles in success or failure as well. Nonetheless, an advantage is an advantage- doesnt make all other factors equal, but it yet is what it is.....~

bemo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bemo » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:40 pm

CMR, I'm not an expert on the HydroWave or KVD so I can't take this conversation very far. I like your response regarding Jordan, made me laugh. What's clear to me is that KVD was the leader in the sport long before HydroWave was available. He won his first AOY title in 1992 and won his first classic in 2001.

Also,in all seriousness I'm going to look into purchasing a HydroWave...

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:42 am

Best: Toss up between Roland Martin & KVD. Martin was more dominant but KVD has a tougher field to compete against.

Favorite: Shaw Grigsby, he just seems to truly enjoy and have more fun fishing than anyone else as well as being great.

It is pretty funny to think a prototype hydro wave was the reason for KVD's success. Of course he has slowed a little lately as it is hard to stay as hungry when you have accomplished everything possible in your sport many times over. He also has more promotional work & sponsorship demands than anyone else as well as a family & kids to raise. I am sure if he had the on the water preparation time and motivation he used to the success would be right there hydro wave or no hydro wave.

lund40
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lund40 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:36 pm

Lindners....classy show,classy magazine (infisherman)

surf n turf
Angler
Angler

Post by surf n turf » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:24 am

I've always dreamt of the coolness of having Al Lindner in my boat for a day on my "home" lake. A lake that I've been fishing for 35+ years and know like the back of my hand. I'd be curious what he'd say about it and what parts of the lake would be his favorites and why. It's a 1000 acre lake in northern MN lake country so he may have even fished it at some point in his life.