Why doesn't Aaron Martens use Daiwa/Megabass reels?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Basscatcher99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Why doesn't Aaron Martens use Daiwa/Megabass reels?

Post by Basscatcher99 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:54 am

If Aaron Martens isn't sponsored by a reel company and is sponsored by Megabass, why doesn't he use Megabass/Daiwa reels?

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Why doesn't Aaron Martens use Daiwa/Megabass reels?

Post by the hooligan » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:58 am

He loves his metaniums too much :P

PancakeFace22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PancakeFace22 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:59 am

From what I understand he just likes Shimano reels better and can get them through a friend pretty cheap.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:10 am

PancakeFace22 wrote:From what I understand he just likes Shimano reels better and can get them through a friend pretty cheap.
I'm sure he's tried both and his decision speaks for itself. I think shimano should just go ahead and reward him with a sponsorship. As for getting them through a friend for cheap? I call b.s. on that one.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:52 am

It possibly won't matter anymore as he is either in contract negotiations with Megabass or they already fell through. No logos under his sponsors on his website and also a 403 error when you click his name on Megabass USA's website.
Last edited by Finnz922 on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:27 am

Simple, he prefers the BEST! ; )

PancakeFace22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PancakeFace22 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:49 am

Bootytrain wrote:
PancakeFace22 wrote:From what I understand he just likes Shimano reels better and can get them through a friend pretty cheap.
I'm sure he's tried both and his decision speaks for itself. I think shimano should just go ahead and reward him with a sponsorship. As for getting them through a friend for cheap? I call b.s. on that one.
I may be wrong, but I feel like I remember him saying that when he came to The Tackle Trap a couple of years ago. I think he said he bought his Metaniums for a really good price from a friend in Japan or something like that. I think this was before they were being sold in the US.

It's very possible that I'm thinking of something else though. My memory is definitely not my strong point.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:18 pm

PancakeFace22 wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
I may be wrong, but I feel like I remember him saying that when he came to The Tackle Trap a couple of years ago. I think he said he bought his Metaniums for a really good price from a friend in Japan or something like that. I think this was before they were being sold in the US.

It's very possible that I'm thinking of something else though. My memory is definitely not my strong point.
Street prices in Japan are way under catalog msrp for all brands. Since he is pretty much known for Megabass and goes to Japan probably regularly to help them develop there's no way he could not acquire their reels at a huge discount. Isn't there a megabass reel model named after him?

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:26 pm

I'm pretty certain it's because he prefers to the Shimano reels over any others.

He can certainly afford or (pick up a sponsorship) from other reel manufacturers. Daiwa/Megabass and Shimano both make excellent reels, so it's not a matter that either is superior to the other,

That being said, I find the Shimano to be a bit more user friendly and forgiving than he high end Daiwa and Megabass reels.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:07 am

Just got a reply fom AM regarding his relationship with MB and I asked if he was still sponsored by MB and his reply was a very vague "stay tuned". Based on this I have a feeling that AM and MB are no longer together.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:11 am

JWR075 wrote:Just got a reply fom AM regarding his relationship with MB and I asked if he was still sponsored by MB and his reply was a very vague "stay tuned". Based on this I have a feeling that AM and MB are no longer together.
That's crazy considering how much his name is on their products. Maybe shimano\jackall picked him up and will be announcing it at the classic.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:17 am

Bootytrain wrote:
JWR075 wrote:Just got a reply fom AM regarding his relationship with MB and I asked if he was still sponsored by MB and his reply was a very vague "stay tuned". Based on this I have a feeling that AM and MB are no longer together.
That's crazy considering how much his name is on their products. Maybe shimano\jackall picked him up and will be announcing it at the classic.
I was thinking this also since Shimano has released their JDM reels (or some of them) to the U.S. market. It would be a smart move on their part so that the Jackall rods and baits get more mainstream publicity. I am hoping to make it to the Classic this year so hopefully I can see first hand.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:32 am

Wow, I'll be shock if they part ways. I don't need AM to like Megabass and I also don't need Megabass to like AM but they just make a good partnership IMO.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:58 am

Oh geeez....looks like I will have to switch affiliations to only ONE BRAND NOW.

Does it matter? Really? :roll:

It is preference...of ANY BRAND by ANY "PRO" (more importantly, PRIVATE or PUBLIC). Yeah....I don't give a R@t's@$$ about "PRO Endorsements"! :whistle: ;)

Fish what 'ya like.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:15 am

the hooligan wrote:He loves his metaniums too much :P
Stellas as well
Bass1980 wrote:Wow, I'll be shock if they part ways. I don't need AM to like Megabass and I also don't need Megabass to like AM but they just make a good partnership IMO
Why "would" anyone need a "PRO ENDORSEMENT" on anything to like it? On the partnership, it may only the public's perception...that made the relationship a "good pairing".
Bootytrain wrote:That's crazy considering how much his name is on their products. Maybe shimano\jackall picked him up and will be announcing it at the classic.
Why? He was collecting a check from MB/Daiwa in the meantime, and he obviously has an affinity MB rods. That he has the gumption to use what he likes from a competing brand is the one KUDO I will give him for bucking Corporate Control...granted that it was not professional in light of his endorsement of a different brand. Hell, John Elway did much worse to both the Colts and Raiders, eh? Granted he didn't have a signed contract with either one at the time. :whistle: