curado d vs. curado i

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

curado d vs. curado i

Post by goldrod » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:18 pm

How does the I compare to the D series.?

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: curado d vs. curado i

Post by Zimbass » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:46 pm

A bit of a difficult one to answer, as it depends on what your application of these reels is.

The I is lighter, smaller and has the SVS braking system, in addition to X ship support.

The D is a superb reel. Built like a tank and weighs almost as much ! Has longevity on it's side, which is a plus.

Time will tell if the I will be in the same class. For me it already is.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:58 pm

application flipping and crig

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:17 am

If it's 200i to 200d then the 200d probably wins a little bit for retrieve smoothness and they cast about the same for what I use them for. The I is FAR more comfortable.

Now, the 100d/100b/50mg is my go to platform for weightless plastics and light texas rigs and shakey heads. I just can't kick this series out of my lineup.

It's a heavier reel, but on some rods, the heavier D balances better IMO for Carolina rigging. My 201D's feel very natural on my Cumara punching rod that I use for A-rigs.

asianfb10
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by asianfb10 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:24 am

I have all the series since the Chronarch A and greenies. I still pick up my D before a new Curado or even the new Metanium. Maybe it's just bias, but it has always been the "one", hahah. D5/D7 is all I need....

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:23 am

The D was designed for really hard use and high durability. Complaints were made about the size and weight of the reel. The 200D was built like a tank. We answered with the E model reducing both physical size and weight. The reduction in size helped lead to the development of the I model last year. We added X-Ship to boost gear durability and gave it SVS Infinity to help with casting performance. We always try to improve upon the last model.

I will agree with others that a light reel is not always best for certain applications simply due to balance reasons. I find the I model to be about the prefect blend of size and weight for the performance of the reel.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:40 am

I would take the curado I over the d series in a heartbeat, lighter,more comfortable to use,better features.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:42 pm

For flipping it would be the I because of the faster gears and Xship

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:36 am

...so all the shimano peeps saying X ship makes a monumental difference in retrieve smoothness agree that Daiwa's reels (which have had "x ship" for over a decade) are smoother retrievers than all of Shimano's up to 2013 for this mere fact?

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:21 am

taylor5877 wrote:...so all the shimano peeps saying X ship makes a monumental difference in retrieve smoothness agree that Daiwa's reels (which have had "x ship" for over a decade) are smoother retrievers than all of Shimano's up to 2013 for this mere fact?
Its already been stated that its a different spool shaft design, so diawa or abu having double bearing pinion support on their shirt spool shaft reels is irrelevant. Xship won't be noticed unless you are retrieving under a decent load. Since you are a big Daiwa fan, which long spool shaft daiwa has a double bearing pinion?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:51 am

Well thanks for the inputs...I was having sellers remorse after selling my 200 D reels not THE cranking version though. I am not going to get the (I) series curado either...going to stick with my gut and get a 200 series conquest 2014 version. I just hope it doesn't make me want the. DHSV curado back....I'm going on a whim here.
I have a conquest50 and a gt te Calcutta so I think the 2014 conquest for traps will be ok?

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:37 pm

taylor5877 wrote:...so all the shimano peeps saying X ship makes a monumental difference in retrieve smoothness agree that Daiwa's reels (which have had "x ship" for over a decade) are smoother retrievers than all of Shimano's up to 2013 for this mere fact?
I would say your wrong.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:58 pm

goldrod wrote:I have a conquest50 and a gt te Calcutta so I think the 2014 conquest for traps will be ok?
May timeline for 15 CQ HG...should be in the 31-32 IPTs for the 100/200. 8-)
Smoothness is a combination of many things, from gear design to cut of the teeth and step, to tolerances to gear material. Add in the secondary areas where smoothness can be felt in one way or another, i.e., under cranking load - including bearings to support the pinion, spool, handle knobs, and even the weight of the spool, material of the reel, the grease used on the gears. There is also "refined/connected" smoothness (a trait known to be more common in high end aluminum gear/MG body Daiwas) and "buttery" smoothness (which is a trait most recognized in brass gear/metal body Shimanos).

This said, the CL 200 in standard gearing of 6.2:1 had a glass smooth/light geary feel, not unlike what the JDM Zillions feel like in hand. The Z2020/Z200 is even smoother and more powerful than the Zillions/CL 200s in like gear ratios, however it is not as buttery smooth as the latest Gen 2 Antares.

A few reels that I find to be comparable:

TDZ/Pixy is comparable to CH 100 MG/CH MG50

CT GT is comparable to Luna/CVZ

TE GT/CQ is comparable to Ryoga/Pluton

CU 100D is comparable to Sol/Alphas (with brass gears)

Core 100 series is comparable to Zillion series

All this said, both of these types of "smoothness" can be had in either make. I.E., when both makes are equipped with oversized main brass gears, with the same type grease, I feel the smoothness is very close in comparison. The main difference in feel is Shimano's current MM gearing vs anything I have felt with Daiwa...there is a very unique and glass smooth feel to the MM gearing that is even smoother than say, the CL 100A/Antares AR. The MM gearing is liquid/glass/buttery smooth...and only my Ian tuned 100XR is comparable in "Daiwa smoothness-speak".

My nickel's worth anyway.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:01 pm

Not sure of the year but the NEW conquest is the one that I was referring to. I decided to go with

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:57 am

goldrod wrote:Not sure of the year but the NEW conquest is the one that I was referring to. I decided to go with
The new CQ will be both 2014 and 2015 models.

14 CQs are the 100/200 sizes with standard gear ratios

15 CQs add the 100/200 sizes in HG along with 300/400

Be careful what you order...if you are looking to use the new CQ for "traps", then you may want to consider the 15 CQ 100/200 HG.

Here is the topic on the 15 CQ HGs: http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=61637