Pepper Custom Baits Commando bladed jig

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Pepper Custom Baits Commando bladed jig

Post by SouthArkFishin » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:38 am

Bought one of these for fall fishing and only got to throw it once before a nasty cold snap ruined the shad migration. I picked it out of the one TW had cos I liked the free swinging hook and because it came with a feathered trebel hook and a swimbait trailer. Anybody had any success on this one? I'd also appreciate some input on what bladed jigs y'all are catching fish on. I've got a Strike King naked rage blade I didn't get to fish at all. I bought it because I had read several things about it being good in real clear water which is what I fish. I know the D&M Piranha jigs have a good reputation, but are the ones available now still the same design or did they have to change it? The only other chatterbait I've fished is a Z-Man. I won't buy another one of them tho. The first time I fished it I hung it up. After moving the boat to try and unstick it I decided all was lost and I went to break it off it. When I did I got it back because the clip broke and the hook bent out a whole lot. On 10lb flouro...

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Pepper Custom Baits Commando bladed jig

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:01 am

D&M Baby Beast is the best bladed jig I have ever fished. We fish a lot of grass and they are extremely weedless and never lose fish on the Owner hook. Been buying a bunch of them since they are going away. The original Pirahna is better than the new one but its still a good jig. A lot more erratic than the original. Hooks are as good as it gets on these jigs.

SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SouthArkFishin » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:12 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:D&M Baby Beast is the best bladed jig I have ever fished. We fish a lot of grass and they are extremely weedless and never lose fish on the Owner hook. Been buying a bunch of them since they are going away. The original Pirahna is better than the new one but its still a good jig. A lot more erratic than the original. Hooks are as good as it gets on these jigs.
I've read a lot of good comments about em. I guess I'll hafta snag a couple of the D&M's next time I make an order. I need some different colored jigs anyway and I want something to compare the Commando to. It felt like it ran pretty good the time I fished it, but it did seem like every once in a while on a cast I'd hafta give it a little jerk to get it vibrating. I'm not sure if that's a normal thing with bladed jigs or not. We don't have any grass, but I did throw it up in some pads quite a bit and I only had to rip it free once or twice.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:33 pm

While I don't fish a bladed jig all that often I have to agree 100% with JBcrankaddict, the Beast is by far the best bladed jig I've gotten my hands on so far. Love those things, to bad I only have 2.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:32 am

Let me know what you think about the Pepper Custom Baits model after you get some time in with it. Those weedless models work great around pads! Looks like a good one but not sure about the blade attachment. The models that have a wire or split ring attachment never seem to run as good as ones that have direct to the eye attachment IMO. This is why the new D&M Pirahna doesn't run or deflect the same, they turned the eye horizontal and added a split ring. More erratic but doesn't deflect right. For open water/sparse grass they work fine though. I think you will be more than happy with a few Beasts/Baby Beasts. A few original Pirahnas left as well if you hurry. The Gar model is another good one but haven't used it that much.

SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SouthArkFishin » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:17 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:Let me know what you think about the Pepper Custom Baits model after you get some time in with it. Those weedless models work great around pads! Looks like a good one but not sure about the blade attachment. The models that have a wire or split ring attachment never seem to run as good as ones that have direct to the eye attachment IMO. This is why the new D&M Pirahna doesn't run or deflect the same, they turned the eye horizontal and added a split ring. More erratic but doesn't deflect right. For open water/sparse grass they work fine though. I think you will be more than happy with a few Beasts/Baby Beasts. A few original Pirahnas left as well if you hurry. The Gar model is another good one but haven't used it that much.
I'll be sure and post up some thoughts after I get to throw it some more. Hopefully gonna get out there this weekend and I may give it a look inbetween jerk baits. If it's better for open water and light vegetation maybe I'll have some luck then cos that's all we've got. Some idiot fresh outta school game and fish biologist decided there was too much grass in the lake a few years back before I started fishing it and put some carp in. Now all the grass is completely gone, the carp are everywhere, and all we've got left is standing timber, stumps, and some scattered pads...

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:17 am

Have you had any luck on these yet this year? Still wondering how the action is on these Pepper bladed jigs. This is the time to be throwing them. Caught a huge bag last w/e on the Beast, the big females were cruising everywhere up shallow.