Login to view all forums

Daiwa spinning reel sizing for rods

Questions regarding an existing Daiwa product? Talk directly to an official representative from Daiwa!
angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Daiwa spinning reel sizing for rods

Post by angry john »

Is there any guidance on what size spinning reel is supposed to go on a certain rod. Is a 7 foot medium light best with a 2000 size reel for casting or are they built with compromise in mind and 1500-2500 will all work about the same? When using a lot of the fuigi systems there is an ideal size so if there is a design plan i have never seen it.
Daiwa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Daiwa spinning reel sizing for rods

Post by Daiwa »

Hi,

We have our reels rated for fresh and saltwater to better help with making a reel selection for a rod. A 7 foot medium light rod will work good with either a 2000 or 2500. Depending on the rod the 2500 might balance better then a 2000. My personal preference on my 7 foot medium light rods is a 2500. They seem to balance better for me then the 2000. I do apologize for the late reply.
angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john »

I was looking at guide train setup vise weight. Are the guides on rods optimized for a certain reel size.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 »

My custom builder tends to go about 40% - 50% of the diameter of the spool for the first guide. Distance to the first guide is also part of his measurement...granted I let him know what reel I intend to use and I give him the spool diameter measurement before he builds.

I.E., on my custom St. Croix SCV 70MLF - I like a 2506 Daiwa Certate Custom Finesse best (I have also fished a 2004 Certate Custom Finesse, SS 1300 and Stella 2500FD on this rod).

HTH!
angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john »

That's what I was referring to. I could do the measurements and back calculate but this info should be readily available.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 »

I would post on the custom rods forum...Matt and many others would know well.

Good luck.