SV Spool Inductor

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Nevrsumma
Angler
Angler

SV Spool Inductor

Post by Nevrsumma » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:55 am

I now own 3 reels equipped with SV spools (2 of the black variety found in the Steez SV LTD, and one of the originals found in my T3 SV) and I have been experiencing the exact same issue with all 3. Upon removing the sideplates after a day on the water I have found the inductors to be stuck in the outermost position, essentially making them operate as a fixed inductor. The only way to get them to return to their normal operation(as a moving inductor) is to manually twist them back a quarter turn by hand. Has anyone else on this board been experiencing this issue? As pointed out to me by another member, Daiwa's recommendation was to oil the inductor mechanism. I had already tried to oil this mechanism in all 3 spools with no luck, the problem persisted in all three spools/reels. It only takes a few casts to get stuck in all cases. I find this to be a fairly serious design flaw in the otherwise superb SV spool and I am quite surprised that I have not heard more people bring it up. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thank You!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: SV Spool Inductor

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:18 pm

I'm curious to here some feedback on this topic. Has this problem been noted on any other V/Z spools? What makes the inductor stick on SV spools??

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:13 pm

This did happen to me on a TD-Z 103 reel with my orange 105 SV spool. I found moving the brake dial back and forth from max to zero would fix this. But after a few casts it would stick again. What was happening that was really annoying was that no matter how loose I had my cast control that my line would not fall straight down when pitching a lighweight less then 3/8 oz lure. When I put it into my Steez...I did not have the issue. I have since moved to a TD-Z 105H with a good oiling of both the brake side and the spool inductor and have not had an issue. One of the things I have been doing is to make sure my brake is in the 0 position when I install the spool. I did not do that with the 103H and have not gone back and tried that since removing it from that reel.
I will say that the spool tensioner knob does play a big affect also on how well this works,,,especially if you want a fee spool after your lure hits the water and are animate about your plastics or jigs to free fall vertically to the bottom as I am. If you find that your lure is not in free spool with the tension knob loose...most likely that inductor is stuck.

Here is a review that I found a while back about the SV spool and how it works with Magforce V and Z magnets.
SECTION E specifically talks about the sticking of the inductor.

http://tacklepoison.blogspot.com/2014/0 ... v-63l.html

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:48 pm

:-k Now I'm wanting to home early from work to go check the inductors on both my SV spools! :doh:

E73Bass, great info on that site! Thanks

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:22 am

So based on the review I posted above and what is mentioned about the spool tensioner. as it relates to affecting the sv spool performance...as my previous postings on TT have been ridiculed for saying that mag V Z and 3d are not all about just the spool but also about the magnet side...I went ahead and tried to decipher as best as I could about what the Daiwa Japanese site mentions when they talk about Air Brake.

Am I understanding that possibly the mag dial should be at 0.

Translation:

Definition of versatile in bait reel has changed greatly with the advent of "bait finesse. As a matter of course that you can use the lure of conventional, it is possible to throw without stress the lightweight lure, yet not at the expense of also spool strength. It is next I narrate the foundation of bait reel words tree-lined Toshinari who worked in versatile. "development of the generation that SV.

(Standard STEEZ SV, to STEEZ SV LTD) produces a high rotation perfect ultra-light rig even when using ultra-lightweight material G1 duralumin spool. In addition, it is equipped with a revolutionary brake, called the air brake system. As is well known, bait reels Daiwa employs a braking system of the magnetic type. Strong track record of many years be able to call and even longer tradition, but it's a result of simply because there is a big advantage like no other. Durable fully, of course, keep a stable braking force at all times without being influenced by external adjustment dial that can be set to brake instantly, the weather. Very different from the other systems that generates an output contrary to the intention when it is also, does not exert the maximum output as long as it can not be adjusted to pin spot value, what it can be manipulated at will of the angler's the benefit of the magnet system. Air brake system, the new system has increased to the maximum effectiveness of the magnetic brake. Almost unrelated to the brisk brake adjustment of each situation rig is constant, I is compatible with a high level pitching and calibration computing. Mag Force of Daiwa's unique mechanism in-duct rotor that is mounted on the spool enters into the magnetic field by the centrifugal force of the cast at the time, to control the spool rotation. New system by designing a double structure a shaft portion, while being controlled by the brake to the full cast time, possible to produce a distance a fully smooth in the duct the rotor does not fly out the spool during low rotation of the pitching during to.

Just adjust the mug dial minimal, SV, which maximizes the combat benefits of the magnet brake only by, hard to be tired. It is possible to handle without stress literally, up to heavyweight lure of a lightweight rig of 4 ~ 5g before and after , because the cast is determined easily, I can expect even catch up as a result. In bait reel that. Existing not also be replaced or spool, with or open the side plate, and take the time to setting, SV defensive range of the lure is the widest and the field and style to boat from Okappari I do not choose. air brake system, to increase to the maximum effectiveness of the magnet brake, and completed the versatile reel of a new era.

■ air brake system
Brake system while dramatically enhances Accuracy performance was achieved with less backlash extremely, the feel stress-free. Significantly improve the response of the rotation as a spool unit in combination with lightweight spool and lightweight in duct rotor structure. Brakes work well in the full cast at the time of setting aimed at synergy with mug good brake on and off is clear at the same time, but Uchikomeru in low trajectory in duct rotor can not fly out to the low rotation of the pitching, etc.. In other words, put a brake tightly for backlash zone spool rises and sputtering even with a small force, the lure fly surprisingly well without Chikarama, caused by straining to reverse. A result, the same brake set, I brought comfort and casting pitching are compatible with a high level.

■ Benefits of SV

[To heavyweight lure of a lightweight rig, defensive range is wide in most bait ...]
• From Nekorigu of 4 inches worm, I can handle comfortably in a big bait.
Turn, with the most (pond, and rivers, Okappari) in a familiar field.
Set rig variety, and the rod is made possible with a single.
· Because you do not have the expense of the spool strength, and use the Finesurigu with thick thread, you can burdock without even 50cm up.

[Backlash is extremely small ...]
- I decided to Zubazuba. Point high Accuracy in boats close range.
Rising spool lightly arsenide, irregular cast skipping, such as backhand is also determined Bashibashi.
- Can be cast comfortably lure it is difficult throw big spinner bait such as big bait, the air resistance.
Cast possible. Fly (Mag Force V, Z) than normal in adverse conditions rather without fear of head wind just dial mug.

Nevrsumma
Angler
Angler

Post by Nevrsumma » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:41 am

The more I explore the possible reasons for this issue I have begun to think that maybe it is an issue of wear on the plastic pieces making up the lower part of the inductor mechanism or possibly the spring losing its effectiveness through use. I say this because of the 3 SV reels I own it seems the reel/that I have used more frequently is considerably more prone to getting stuck than the others I have used less vigorously. Inversely the reel that I have barely used is much more difficult in getting the inductor stuck.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:13 pm

Nevrsumma wrote:The more I explore the possible reasons for this issue I have begun to think that maybe it is an issue of wear on the plastic pieces making up the lower part of the inductor mechanism or possibly the spring losing its effectiveness through use. I say this because of the 3 SV reels I own it seems the reel/that I have used more frequently is considerably more prone to getting stuck than the others I have used less vigorously. Inversely the reel that I have barely used is much more difficult in getting the inductor stuck.
Have you tried taking the spring out and restretching to see if that makes the problem go away for a few trips out? That would probably pinpoint the spring as the primary problem.

DaveJ

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:48 pm

I think the only real way to get to the bottom of this is to take one apart and examine. Is anything obviously worn? Are any parts obviously broken?

If not, try to clean and reoil some of the key parts to the system, using simple green or something similar to degrease.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:46 pm

Nevrsumma wrote:The more I explore the possible reasons for this issue I have begun to think that maybe it is an issue of wear on the plastic pieces making up the lower part of the inductor mechanism or possibly the spring losing its effectiveness through use. I say this because of the 3 SV reels I own it seems the reel/that I have used more frequently is considerably more prone to getting stuck than the others I have used less vigorously. Inversely the reel that I have barely used is much more difficult in getting the inductor stuck.

I think there are a whole lot of questions to be answered about the SV Spools still.
Might want to check this topic out that is going on in the enthusiast section.

Apparently the Italians have something to say abut the SV spools.

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=58502

Nevrsumma
Angler
Angler

Post by Nevrsumma » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:00 am

I think there are a whole lot of questions to be answered about the SV Spools still.
Might want to check this topic out that is going on in the enthusiast section.

Apparently the Italians have something to say abut the SV spools.

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=58502[/quote]
Thank you for the link! very interesting stuff here.

Nevrsumma
Angler
Angler

Post by Nevrsumma » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:00 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Have you tried taking the spring out and restretching to see if that makes the problem go away for a few trips out? That would probably pinpoint the spring as the primary problem.

DaveJ
Yes Dave, Thanks. I have actually tried exactly what you mentioned as far as stretching out the spring. In addition to that I completely cleaned off all the oil from the mechanism itself. A couple people have suggested oiling the inductor parts, but I actually see any sort of lubrication to be a negative in this case. The whole problem stems from the inductors lower parts rotating past a point where they are designed to stop. Thus, again I see any oil or other lubricant to only aid in the problem. By stretching the spring and cleaning the parts it has made it slightly more difficult to get the inductor stuck but it has not fixed the problem entirely.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:25 am

Nevrsumma wrote:
IlliniDawg01 wrote:

DaveJ
Yes Dave, Thanks. I have actually tried exactly what you mentioned as far as stretching out the spring. In addition to that I completely cleaned off all the oil from the mechanism itself. A couple people have suggested oiling the inductor parts, but I actually see any sort of lubrication to be a negative in this case. The whole problem stems from the inductors lower parts rotating past a point where they are designed to stop. Thus, again I see any oil or other lubricant to only aid in the problem. By stretching the spring and cleaning the parts it has made it slightly more difficult to get the inductor stuck but it has not fixed the problem entirely.
Bummer. Sounds like there might be a slight flaw in the design.

I've been jones'in for an SV spool, but I'm glad I waited based on all of the recent information regarding inductors getting stuck and the inductors being different lengths for different spools. When they work they seem to be amazing spools, but they don't appear to be living up to the Stress Free name just yet.

DaveJ

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:31 pm

Ok....received my Steez 103SV Ltd Black spool.

This is what I found....pics here:

The Steez 103SV Ltd. Black Spool has a longer inductor then the RCS 1000 spool and is the same length as the SS SV spool.

The Steez 103SV ltd Black Spool and the SS SV definantely has its limitations in the TD-Z 103 reels....the magforce brake dial does not seem to turn freely and casting is hindered. When I open it...it is stuck.The 105 SV orange spool works better but not as well as it does in my TD-Z 105H. Very strange and I have now tried it in 3 different TD-Z 103's that have same size frame and brake as the 105H. But the Steez 105SV orange does work in the TD-Z's and they have the shorter inductors. The longer inductors Black ones work better in the Steez.

The Steez 103SV ltd Black spool works great in my Steez 103HA reel and spools very freely!!!....remember to test this with your spool tension knob loose for optimum free spool. It does even better then the SS SV does for some reason as I only notice the difference to be the dimples b/w the 2 spools...springs are about the same tension on the inductors. I will try messing with the Steez some more to get a etter indication oif there is really any difference b/w the performance of the 103SV Black Ltd and the SS SV spool. Until I put the newest 103 LTD. SV...I thought the SS SV spool worked really well in my steez...just not so well in my TD-Z's.

I will also try my 105 Ltd SV spool in the Steez 103HA and 103 Ltd SV spool in my Steez 105 SV Ltd Reel

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:05 pm

Thanks for sharing. Someone is going to have to make a chart at some point.

DaveJ

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:29 am

I am gonna show a video....this weekend of how the 103 SV Ltd, and SS SV spins freely in the Steez and NOT in the TD-Z's.

And then show a video of my 105SV (orange) spinning freely in both Steez and TD-Z.

It is my impression that the Black SV spools are made for the Steez's and SS SV only.

The Orange SV spools work well in all reels they are intended to work for.

I am not gonna take the RCS1000 SV spool out of my T3 to mix into this discussion.

Lastly Daiwa needs a SV spool for the Zillion/Fuego platform.