Orochi XX 7' Med Flat Side Special

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Antonese
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Orochi XX 7' Med Flat Side Special

Post by Antonese » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:13 pm

Anyone use this for small to med crankbaits (1/4 - 5/8oz)? Was thinking of pulling the trigger on it tomorrow but haven't handles it yet. Any feedback is appreciated. Thx

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Orochi XX 7' Med Flat Side Special

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:33 pm

Antonese wrote:Anyone use this for small to med crankbaits (1/4 - 5/8oz)? Was thinking of pulling the trigger on it tomorrow but haven't handles it yet. Any feedback is appreciated. Thx
that should work fine...

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:34 pm

You'll love it. Great for chatterbaits and spinnerbaits, too. I use mine for a lot of things, actually.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:52 am

Antonese wrote:Anyone use this for small to med crankbaits (1/4 - 5/8oz)? Was thinking of pulling the trigger on it tomorrow but haven't handles it yet. Any feedback is appreciated. Thx
It's ideal for moving baits in the size range you've listed, and as others have mentioned, its also nice and versatile. The Tackle Trap is a Tackle Tour sponsor and a Megabass dealer. We have the Flat Side Special in stock and ready to ship. Let me know if I can help out!

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... 02_941_942

Antonese
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Antonese » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:36 am

Thanks guys. Went to go see the rod today and I find it a bit more general purpose. I little stiffer than I'd like for smaller cranks. Great rod though, seems versatile. I might have to take a look at the Fast Moving Special as I think that will be better suited ...... or so I'm told. Unfortunately they were out of stock :doh: Cheers

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:07 pm

Personally, I would prefer the FFS for your intended lures.

Love my FFS.

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:06 pm

Antonese wrote:Thanks guys. Went to go see the rod today and I find it a bit more general purpose. I little stiffer than I'd like for smaller cranks. Great rod though, seems versatile. I might have to take a look at the Fast Moving Special as I think that will be better suited ...... or so I'm told. Unfortunately they were out of stock :doh: Cheers
I totally agree. Most MB rods that are labeled as moving/crank bait rods just aren't moderate enough my for liking. Dragging 3/8oz football heads, swim jigs and smaller paddetails is just a few techniques I use my Flat Side Special but not as a pure cranking stick. Seems we have similar taste try and get your hands on a GLX 845cbr if you like graphite. Another is the new Shimano Expride model EX168ML-G, G stands for glass. Mine behaves with a hint more power than the 845cbr plan on using mine for jerkbaits, topwater and shallow/mid cranks whereas I only use my 845 for cranking. It's just a beautiful rod hold/have but the 1yr warranty scares most/all away.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:10 pm

Antonese wrote:Thanks guys. Went to go see the rod today and I find it a bit more general purpose. I little stiffer than I'd like for smaller cranks. Great rod though, seems versatile. I might have to take a look at the Fast Moving Special as I think that will be better suited ...... or so I'm told. Unfortunately they were out of stock :doh: Cheers
We have the Fast Move Special in stock as well. It's definitely softer with a very fast taper that leads into a moderate backbone. It's the most unique looking of the XX series with the matte purple looking blank, and the most unique in taper as well. It's been popular with guys looking for something with a more of traditional glass blank feel for lighter crank baits.

Dragboatdriver
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dragboatdriver » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:18 pm

FWIW I love my Fast Move Special. I have used it for everything from shad raps and griffons to DT-6 and larger pointers. While it is definitely more comfortable with the smaller cranks, it does fine in the Dt-6 range as well.

As Bronzefly mentioned, the FMS has a very unique taper. I generally am not a fan of glass rods, but this one is different. It is also shockingly sensitive for a glass rod. I can easily distinguish different types of bottom as well as what kind of cover my bait is bumping in to I.E. logs, rocks, pea gravel.

In terms of aesthetics it is a very sharp looking rod and a pleasure to fish!

metanium
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by metanium » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:13 am

Dragboatdriver wrote:As Bronzefly mentioned, the FMS has a very unique taper. I generally am not a fan of glass rods, but this one is different. It is also shockingly sensitive for a glass rod. I can easily distinguish different types of bottom as well as what kind of cover my bait is bumping in to I.E. logs, rocks, pea gravel.
I'm looking for a crankbait rod myself. I'm down to the 705CB Glass (Fast), XX Fast Moving Special, and XX Flat Side Special. Any experience with the other 2?

Antonese
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Antonese » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:56 am

Hey Metanium, I'll have to give the 705CB Glass (Fast) a look. I went back to the store today and decided to give up on the Flat Side Special for cranks under 12ft. It seems like a pool cue in the crankbait world. No wonder guys are using it for chatterbaits, dragging etc but for a dedicated light cranker I don't feel confident it can cast lighter baits a maximum distance. The search continues. I did however pick up a Spinnerbait Special. Couldn't leave the store empty handed ;) Now that rod seems perfect to me for its intended use.