The ultimate Daiwa cranking reel

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: The ultimate Daiwa cranking reel

Post by dragon1 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:33 am

spookybaits wrote:Completely agree about ian's work. On my first cast/retreive(threw a dd22 on a x4 destruction), it was so smooth and powerful I thought my lure broke off due to there being no resistance. Wasn't untill it hit the bottom that I realized it was still tied on and just the smoothness shining thru. My first words/thoughts were something to the effect of "are you f*¢king kidding me?!" Stock vs ian'ized is night & day difference in regaurds to smoothness & casting distance. I was expecting better distance but I wasn't prepared for the calais-like glassy smoothness. My fishing buddy dubbed it 'Mrs. Butterworth' lol.
Agreed...an even "BEEFIER" cross-dresser "Mrs. Butterworth's"!!! :big grin: :lol: 8-)

FWIW, the SMOOTHEST reel I have ever owned or fished or handled...regardless of BC or spinning (Stellas included), is my Ian-tuned Monoblock 100XR

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:40 am

dragon1 wrote:
spookybaits wrote:Completely agree about ian's work. On my first cast/retreive(threw a dd22 on a x4 destruction), it was so smooth and powerful I thought my lure broke off due to there being no resistance. Wasn't untill it hit the bottom that I realized it was still tied on and just the smoothness shining thru. My first words/thoughts were something to the effect of "are you f*¢king kidding me?!" Stock vs ian'ized is night & day difference in regaurds to smoothness & casting distance. I was expecting better distance but I wasn't prepared for the calais-like glassy smoothness. My fishing buddy dubbed it 'Mrs. Butterworth' lol.
Agreed...an even "BEEFIER" cross-dresser "Mrs. Butterworth's"!!! :big grin: :lol: 8-)

FWIW, the SMOOTHEST reel I have ever owned or fished or handled...regardless of BC or spinning (Stellas included), is my Ian-tuned Monoblock 100XR
The Monoblock is also the 'smoothest' Daiwa I have ever handled.The Ringa's just don't seem to be on par :-k
They are basically the same reels,go figure..

runmax08
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by runmax08 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:27 am

IMO I agree with dragon on the pt33 series. I do believe that Daiwa for years, didn't have a reel for fishing large crank baits. (dd22) (i'm beginning to sound like offtahook)

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:05 pm

spookybaits wrote:
CALL ME RIFLE wrote:Yessir Van, I am speaking of the Pt33P....but it stands for professional I am rather certain ;)
Vans right, P is pitching. They all have 'pro model' printed on the front of the leverwind guide rod shield.

Pt33c: 3.8:1 c=cranking
Pt33p: 5.1:1 p=pitching
Pt33sh: 7.1:1 sh=Super Hi speed.

No idea why the pitching model is 5.1 though. They all have flipping switch. only difference between all 3 of them is the gear ratio(and if I'm not mistaken the sh might have different knobs. It was the last reel in the lineup and was still for sale after the other 2 were discontinued/pulled from shelves).

All were 'professional' grade & over-built imo.
How do, Spooky. Man, ever since this came up the other day, I have been online searching for verification one way or the other, about what indeed the P stands for. Honestly, you and Van are the first folks I ever heard not refer to these as professional model and instead, as pitching model...going back to when these came out. I unfortunately found nothing explanatory. From what I remember though, the 5.1:1 was the first model out, and was dubbed as the PT33 Professional...the all around model, essentially, joined shortly thereafter by specialized cranking and hi speed versions,of course the C and SH...which were still versions of the original PT33 Professional model( which of course would also explain why they all have "pro model" stamped on the front of the reel). This was how I've always heard them talked about, heck this is how I've always even seen other folks advertise them on eBay and such...I am open to the possibility that I may be wrong, but ever since these came out that's what I've known them as. If you could find a link to something that provides any evidence one way or the other I would like to see it for sure...man, nothing even in the owners manual or on the box itself of the P model actually spells it out...nothing on Daiwas website, not on the reel schematic....perhaps ROG could weigh in if he sees this post....
At any rate, either way, good to actually speak with you here, seen plenty of your posts and you seem to be a quality board member. And definitely cool that you are helping to bring the old Daiwa tanks back in style, they just don't make them as tough as they used to. I enjoy fishing with these oldies even without custom refinement, I can only imagine how awesome it would be to get one brought up to modern speed a bit....
Van, that looks totally sicked out, you guys are killin me. Definitely need to get with Ian on a project one of these days...

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:16 am

Eh, it could stand for professional. I'll dig thru all my old boxes and see if I have one somewhere.
Actually... It might say on the instructions/parts list.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:27 am

Spooled the pt33c with 20lb sufix siege and took it out today to try throwing swimbaits with it.
I threw 6" hudd(rof 5), 3:16 baby wake, baitsmith mad gill. It worked like a champ! I didn't have anything heavier to cast but... Id say it'd be good up to 3oz range. The slow speed was a beautiful match with the hud.
The only thing I'm not loving is the daiwa i knobs. Gotta get something bigger, maybe squishy Eva knobs or something.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:51 am

spookybaits wrote:...The only thing I'm not loving is the daiwa i knobs. Gotta get something bigger, maybe squishy Eva knobs or something.
Try the Tatula handle and knobs. I use a 100P for swimbaits up to 4.5 oz. and the handle knobs are both substantial and grippy.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:26 pm

spookybaits wrote:Spooled the pt33c with 20lb sufix siege and took it out today to try throwing swimbaits with it.
I threw 6" hudd(rof 5), 3:16 baby wake, baitsmith mad gill. It worked like a champ! I didn't have anything heavier to cast but... Id say it'd be good up to 3oz range. The slow speed was a beautiful match with the hud.
The only thing I'm not loving is the daiwa i knobs. Gotta get something bigger, maybe squishy Eva knobs or something.
Great to read about the 6" Hudd on the 3.8:1 gearing...I thought as much. I just put my PT33C on a custom Hydra 8'0" Hvy Swimbait rod. I need to get out on a boat so I can slow roll some 1oz + spinnerbaits in 10' + of water along the deeper weed edges and channels. Also, with the good line capacity and cranking power, 5 - 6oz baits should be okay on the PT33C...a more important factor is how fast you will want to work the bait as this is a slow to med (at best) speed reel.

CALL ME RIFLE wrote:From what I remember though, the 5.1:1 was the first model out, and was dubbed as the PT33 Professional...the all around model, essentially, joined shortly thereafter by specialized cranking and hi speed versions,of course the C and SH...which were still versions of the original PT33 Professional model( which of course would also explain why they all have "pro model" stamped on the front of the reel). This was how I've always heard them talked about, heck this is how I've always even seen other folks advertise them on eBay and such...I am open to the possibility that I may be wrong, but ever since these came out that's what I've known them as. If you could find a link to something that provides any evidence one way or the other I would like to see it for sure...man, nothing even in the owners manual or on the box itself of the P model actually spells it out...nothing on Daiwas website, not on the reel schematic....perhaps ROG could weigh in if he sees this post....
I understand the PT33P as "pitching" based upon reading about this model when I google/blog it...that is how is it usually referred to. :-k

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:07 pm

Just picked up a PT33C and a PT33P...great reels and at a very, very good price!